They say global is where it's at...

iaresee

Administrator
Edit: Welcome to this thread! I've put details of how to make globals in this post. I talk about tracking your global blocks in this post. And I have some warning and advice in this post.

I've spent the week going global. My empire now spans the entirety of the world.
Also, my six main gigging presets all share global blocks and very common layouts. This has lead to some wonderful simplifications of my FC and GT/22 setups. Things are always the same on the block channels when I move between these presets. On the GT/22 that's allowed me to name the channels (the FCs really need to get this feature).
It's wonderful.
@yek I know you've sung the praises of global for a loooooong time now but I've resisted for...no good reason. No longer, man. Global is where it's at.
Look at this global empire I have created!
Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 8.34.41 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 8.34.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 8.34.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 8.36.09 PM.png
And for the curious, it's let me do this on my GT/22:
Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 8.38.04 PM.png
And when I want to change the channel on a block, it shows me these names in the channel select mode instead of A, B, C or D:
Screen Shot 2019-09-14 at 8.38.11 PM.png
Global.
Do it.

Last edited:
How is that you have presets with 3 Drives, multiple delays, Reverb, Cab, etc that are only 63% CPU?

Are you running a single IR and Reverb with normal quality and low density?

How is that you have presets with 3 Drives, multiple delays, Reverb, Cab, etc that are only 63% CPU?

Are you running a single IR and Reverb with normal quality and low density?
Magic.

@unix-guy on a more serious note, though. I probably can't turn it all on at once. It'll overload then. The four parallel blocks get used pretty much in exclusive mode -- never at the same time. And I run reverb in Normal mode because I can't tell the difference and it saves some space.

The CAB block is running multiple IRs in all cases.

On one of the presets, one scene goes >90% but just by a bit, so I don't sweat it. Live, disconnected from the computer, it'll be fine.

Last edited:
@iaresee those presets and RJM layout are laid out beautifully!

@normanaj @bradlake I don't use them in any of my live presets - yet. The functionality they offer has long appealed to me but I'm more or less a one preset per gig guy. Will have to explore and see if I can get something useful put together - I'm sure this thread will help with that.
Yea, I was going to put the ‘yet’ in my post, but figured I’d leave that for you...:)

I'm more or less a one preset per gig guy
That's how I've rolled for many years now. But @austinbuddy's 1000 amp pack has really got me playing around with more amp-cab pairs than in the past so now I'm maintaining a handful of these "single gig presets" that are the same effects but around different amp-cab setups so I can try them out, live. Globals are really making a lot of sense here.

Is there any video tutorials on the global block usage?
Exactly the question I was going to ask until I saw your post.
@chris did this one for the II -- the concepts apply to the III though the UI is different.

From Axe-Edit III it's quite straight forward. Let's first set up a block the way we like it:

I've got a wah block with four channels of settings I like to use in all my kitchen sink presets. So I'll turn this into a global block so if I tweak it in one preset, all the other presets get the tweak.

Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 9.06.10 AM.png

First I'll make this a global block by storing the settings for the WAH 1 block into the Global 1 slot for that block. Remember: global settings apply to the block number! so WAH 1 Global 1 is a different saved setting than WAH 2 Global 1 -- it's not per block, it's per-block, per-instance.

To store the settings for WAH 1 into the Global 1 slot I do this:

Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 9.08.01 AM.png

Then SAVE the preset. Saving it ensures the changes to the global get written to the global block memory space.

With that done, I can now go to another preset and link up the global settings on a WAH 1 block in that preset. Let's make this WAH 1 block global on my Captain Hook preset. To do that, I navigate to the preset, find the WAH 1 block and use the Link-and-Load method -- this will load the settings into the WAH 1 block AND link it to the global. Like this:

Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 9.11.02 AM.png

Note that control links aren't stored as part of the global block settings so you may need to redo the expression pedal control link on the Control parameter on that block.

And that's it. Now if I change the WAH 1 block in the Trey A preset and save the preset, the settings for the WAH 1 block are written to the global memory space. If I pull up Captain Hook, I'll see the changes there.

Super handy for kitchen sink preset maintenance when you've got >1 kitchen sink presets.

Back
Top Bottom