They All Sound the Same Part Deux

Ok, I was fooled by the gain (thinking the amp and Axe would clean up the most), after listening through my studio monitors (0300Ds) I can't hear a difference between 1 and 2, so the accuracy aspect is perfect. They both sound great, too. 3 still sounds good to me (despite having less gain), but 4 sounds way off (and not in a good way).

Aren't we losing some of the subtleties by compressing the audio into mp3? That has to be removing some of the dynamics in the original recording no?

Maybe my notions on the mp3 format are outdated though...

Aren't we losing some of the subtleties by compressing the audio into mp3? That has to be removing some of the dynamics in the original recording no?

Maybe my notions on the mp3 format are outdated though...
Good point, but that would put the modelers on the same playing field with the amp in this case.

1) Probably the amp, quite bright sounding relative to the others.

2) Slightly darker. Fractal?

3) ehhh? is that a weird kemper capture? very flat

4) sounds like a capture again. flat as a pancake. either kemper or neural.

5) muddy sounding modeller for sure. even darker than number 2.

I understand what you're trying to convey with these posts, but this one here goes against one of your most used phrases:

Use your ears, not your eyes.

If the point is accuracy, then it will hold up to many different measurements, including eyes.
Not sure what you're getting at. The comparison is using our ears to compare the amp against various devices at the same settings...?

Axe-Fx models use "ideal" values for all components, i.e. if a pot is spec'd as 1M the model uses 1M

if all the internal resistor capacitor components are exactly the same in digital simulation land it will be missing a bunch of harmonics, especially in the case of circuits that distort because you can hear the texture change, when there is slight variance across components of all the "same value" there is a significant addition of harmonic content at the output vs if all the components of the "same value" are really all exactly exactly the same

if all the internal resistor capacitor components are exactly the same in digital simulation land it will be missing a bunch of harmonics, especially in the case of circuits that distort because you can hear the texture change, when there is slight variance across components of all the "same value" there is a significant addition of harmonic content at the output vs if all the components of the "same value" are really all exactly exactly the same
Nonsense. Harmonic structure has absolutely nothing to do with component tolerance.

I just now listened to these before I looked at the results....... I sure thought the first one was going to be the amp and the second the Axe-Fx.......oh well, I was close!

Nonsense. Harmonic structure has absolutely nothing to do with component tolerance.

for real you should try it, even just two distortion circuits in series, when you change the way they cascade into each other, via level or distortion amount or tone you get different shades of breakup. the effect compounds the more elements there are that differ from each other in variance. that's why amp designers spend so much effort on component tolerance matching, cause if there's too much variance, the circuit they got to breakup the way they like it in the prototype won't feel/sound the same in the next one they build. but the components can't all be the exact exact same, with pots that's fine since they are supposed to be variable but if all the resistor capacitor components in the circuit don't have any variance you'll miss a bunch of really important harmonics

I got fooled by the "volume knob rolled down" and the fact that I've never used the 5150 models, haha! At first listen, I thought 1 & 2 were virtually identical and decided those two were the amp and the Axe.

Then the volume knob tricked me and I thought 3 & 4 were the amp and the Axe.

Then I saw Cliff post about accuracy, and thought 1 & 2 again.

I'm a mess... the key learning for me is I need to build a 5150 preset. :D

Back
Top Bottom