They All Sound the Same Part Deux

Gain at 3.

Thank you!

So what this proves is that other modelers knob settings are inconsistent with the actual amp. Doesn't necessarily prove that they can't replicate a tone or that they suck as bad as the recording would suggest.... They just may need tweaking and deviation from the actual amp knob settings to get closer.

With that said, I don't think they can do better than FAS, especially in this example

So what this proves is that other modelers knob settings are inconsistent with the actual amp. Doesn't necessarily prove that they can't replicate a tone or that they suck as bad as the recording would suggest.... They just may need tweaking and deviation from the actual amp knob settings to get closer.

With that said, I don't think they can do better than FAS, especially in this example
I think it's more about how they work with the guitar signal rolled down...

I would expect something "Algorithmically Perfect (TM)" to behave very closely to the actual amp.

King2.mp3

1 u. 2 hardly react to turning back the volume
3 FX3
4 amp, sounds a bit more silvery than 3 after turning it down without losing the distortion in the high frequencies.
5 more like 1 and 2

I think it's more about how they work with the guitar signal rolled down...
True, not sure what other modeler's global settings can be adjusted to account for stuff like this - but if I was in a shop testing modelers and came across something as shitty as this, I'd move on pretty quickly without messing with global settings.

All this test revealed to me once again is I just don't gel with 5150 style amps. Not going to hazard a guess.

I hear what you're saying, but listening to the actual preset through my headphones is like, WOW, it sounds absolutely killer! And helps me hear the differences in the other tones, not just the ones you may be able to compensate for with different volume on your guitar, e.g.

No. That video is also 2.5 years old and predates Cygnus.

TGP thread is 2 days old, and the exact timestamped moment is when Mayer is critical of FAS modeling for guitar volume response (yes, the video is old and he's commenting on old FAS tech). Regardless of video date, these types of comments from giants like Mayer will stick with people. This audio comparison seems like a response to that thread, as well as a dig at other modelers. But hey whatever.

Either way, as I've said before and will continue to tell my friends, FAS modeling is the best. Keep up the good work Cliff.

TGP thread is 2 days old, and the exact timestamped moment is when Mayer is critical of FAS modeling for guitar volume response (yes, the video is old and he's commenting on old FAS tech). Regardless of video date, these types of comments from giants like Mayer will stick with people. This audio comparison seems like a response to that thread, as well as a dig at other modelers. But hey whatever.

Either way, as I've said before and will continue to tell my friends, FAS modeling is the best. Keep up the good work Cliff.
if your friends have ears you won't have to tell them

Back
Top Bottom