They All Sound the Same Part Deux

This is my concern; I’ve never really cleaned up or rolled back a Vol pot on high gain. 3&4 don’t seem right from other amp types. Too old school I suppose.
I thought about that, too. I'm the same way...I hardly ever touch my volume knob with an amp like that, so it's an interesting experiment he's done here. And I have no idea how much gain a 5150 actually has, or how rolling back the volume would actually affect it.

Huge differences here. The most alike are 1&2 (more gain) and 3&4 (less gain).

1 has that annoying high pitched noise in the background and is more harsh/wild than 2. It could probably give more ear fatigue.

2 sounds more balanced/relaxed than 1, and it does not have the high pitched noise. I prefer this one over 1.

3 is again more calm. No fatigue, but the sound does not fit the playing. It does not sound to me as if this sound was dialed in for this riff/playing. But I could be fooled from being primes be the two more gainy clips before it. I prefer this one over 4.

4) this one kind of sounds like someone is playing rubber bands.

I would expect Brand F to be the closest to the amp. But my mind is playing tricks with me.

Brand F is not clip 1 as there is no way I would expect it to have the worst case of high pitched noise.

If the amp is clip 1, Brand F will likely be clip 2. But as I recall it from the previous test, Brand L was the harshest with the most high pitched noise - both in dB level and annoyance level.

If clip 2&3 are the amp and Brand F, I'd say that Brand F has missed the mark in matching gain level.

Clip 4 is the most awkward. I can not imagine it being Brand F. It doesn't sound like a quality amp either. Remembering the last test, I would imagine Clip 4 to be Brand N.

I don't have experience with the particular amp, and the settings were not revealed. Also it wasn't revealed which guitar with more or less funky pick-ups was played. And what cab/IR? But remembering the sounds from the previous test, I would guess:

1 is Brand L
2 is Brand F
3 is the amp
4 is Brand N

1 & 2 are more upfront / more mids, 3 is pretty bad and 4 would even get more lost in a mix. But when I think of a 5150 I do think of a pretty full sound, so maybe 3/4 are what it sounds like rolled off. But I agree w/ @Andrew Male that I don't know what it should sound like in the first place. Actually, I don't really "like" any of these (but that wasn't the question ;-)

Since you added #5 after, I'll guess that's neither the amp nor the Fractal ;-)

I can at least hear that one has a lot less gain this time.

I wonder if these are played with the axefx3 as the looper feeding each of the contestants.

4 and 5 sound the worst to me.

1 and 2 sound the best to me.

3 is too low gain for me to even look at it twice.

I wanted to dial up a real preset and compare using headphones this time. At first, I thought 3 & 4 sounded like the volume was rolled back further than the other 3, but when I rolled my volume back halfway, my tone sounded closest to 3 & 4. So if 1, 2, & 5 are what a 5150 sounds like with the volume rolled back halfway, they certainly don't clean up very well. I used a 5153 100W Blue and a 4x12 5153 57B cab, at stock settings on the Axe running FW 19.

3-4 with half guitar volume behave how i would expect, the others remind me of another brand I used that didn't cleanup. But also I don't use the 5150 amps, so maybe they don't cleanup much with less volume.
Thats how i play with songs, with volume, clean, crunch then stomp on her for lead.

3 has a very natural sounding tonal change with less distortion as the sound fades out. But ... we don't know which pick-ups are in the guitar. If they are some hot active pick-ups, they may be louder than some low output pickups at 10.

I wanted to dial up a real preset and compare using headphones this time. At first, I thought 3 & 4 sounded like the volume was rolled back further than the other 3, but when I rolled my volume back halfway, my tone sounded closest to 3 & 4. So if 1, 2, & 5 are what a 5150 sounds like with the volume rolled back halfway, they certainly don't clean up very well. I used a 5153 100W Blue and a 4x12 5153 57B cab, at stock settings on the Axe running FW 19.
Master Volume was on 10 for this test. Gain at 3. All other knobs at 5.

Last edited:

Was this just simply dialing up the preset with all knobs at noon, with all modeler I/O settings set at defaults?

Set aside the other 3 modelers - the AXE FX and Amp sound identical, which is awesome.... but without knowing if each modeler was optimized to replicate the original tone, I'm not sure it's a fair comparison.

Back
Top Bottom