They All Sound the Same, It's About Workflow

1/ real amp
2 / kemper
3/ line 6 or quad
4/ axe 3

I hesitate between 1 or 4 being the real amp . but 4 sound like the axe hmmmm

2 and 3 are processed . the 3 is the worst

and I might be wrong as I dont really use this type of sound . But that's a game hm ?

Last edited:
But the diminished returns of the new iPhone are not offered free of charge
Yes, and also there’s no way the returns are diminishing. If anything they’re increasing. Listen to FW 1 vs 2, then 15 vs 16, then 16 vs 19. These are major leaps and unique inventions!

dc93bae36fe04b1ee8c35c033d58a4b6.png

Tube amp forum would be better place to pose this question. Personally, my frame of reference is gone. I have not played through a tube amp in years. the 4 clips do sound different. #3 more low end less gain, #4 pushed mids. #1 and#2 similar but #2 sounds less controlled. Couldn't tell which one is real as I'm not familiar with this amp for starters.

The low end gives you more info, highs slightly less so on what is what.

Recordings with the Axe Fx have been difficult to tell apart from tube amps since the early days of the II, let alone how far the III has taken things.

The III has become much more accurate in feel and player interaction than anything else out there, with reference to a tube amp.

A good (multiband) compressor can add life to a stiff and lifeless algorithm and frequencies can be tweaked to sound good (ir?)... but it's not accurate and feels off (this is what most of the available modelers sound like to me). Tube amps are far more complex.

This thread proves one thing: some people can hear the differences and others can't. I'd say half the respondents hear the same thing I hear. The other half have tin ears or lousy monitors.
All I wanna know is between one and four, which one is the amp and which one is the AxeFX?

This thread proves one thing: some people can hear the differences and others can't. I'd say half the respondents hear the same thing I hear. The other half have tin ears or lousy monitors.
Honestly I couldn’t hear it until I used in-ears, and then up nice and loud. If you ground me from the Axe for a few days I’ll understand.

It was a good setup for an actual apples-apples comparison, not many are able to do this. You influenced the listeners/results shortly after you posted though, which I don't quite understand.

I can here difference in them. If you listen to the reverb, you can hear how each mask the reverb differently. The first and last one on allow the reverb to stick out. The third one just has a low-end resonance I do not particularly like. There is a fizzy distortion that stands out (not in a good way) on the 2nd one. The first and the 4th I like the most. They are very similar. There is just something about the 2nd one the is really grating to me. The third, has that boomy low-end. The 1st and 4th sound similar to me and I like them the most. The 1st sounding a little grittier and the 4th a little less aggressive. Then again, my brain could be making all that up. I gave up on caring which is real a while back :)

I think it's the 3 different Fractal devices and one amp, and any perceived differences are just that. I'll wager an educated guess that the purpose of the thread is to show that no matter which platform you use, they all sound the same, which is indistinguishable from a real amp, for all intents and purposes. And Cliff's 2nd post is actually tongue-in-cheek, meant to poke fun at those who say they can hear differences, e.g., changes to the sound of something that wasn't actually altered in a FW update, or differences in the 3 units.
One of my favorite things is when there's an update and somebody comes in with a lengthy post of all of the differences they perceive in the amp and then Cliff comments that nothing was changed in the amp modeling.

It reminds me of working with difficult musicians in the studio who's ego's just needed to be fed a bit:
Musician: makes absurd request for something that's already happening
Me: pretends to move some faders and tweak rack gear
Me: "how's it sound now?"
Musician: "much better thanks man big difference"

Back
Top Bottom