They all sound different (monitor dilemma) - Final verdict

I've got the 7Tv, I liked them but always found them a bit too bassy, even high passing them, and also there was something weird with their higher mids ....

I do not know if comparisons like this:

are representative but fond the higher range less bass prominent and the mids and highs much more pleasant, maybe I have to pull the trigger on those.

I've got the 7Tv, I liked them but always found them a bit too bassy, even high passing them, and also there was something weird with their higher mids ....

I do not know if comparisons like this:

are representative but fond the higher range less bass prominent and the mids and highs much more pleasant, maybe I have to pull the trigger on those.

They tend not to be, but I've seen worse.

If you see spinorama (or kippel) measurements, those absolutely can be used to predict in-room responses as well as subjective impressions. But, not many people have those. The actual Spinorama measurement rig was 6-figures and the Kippel emulation of it, while very good, is also expensive. They're also pretty unforgiving. A lot of well-regarded speakers do terribly.

The results I've looked up for speakers I've heard, so far, have basically confirmed my opinions in most cases.

FWIW, these threads about monitors have led me to do some digging over the last week or so. Whoever posted the videos about/by Dr. Floyd Toole....thank you. This has been fascinating.

Premise, I have a well acoustically treated room. I have bass trap, sound absorbing and acoustic treatment panels made of poplar.

The room is not very large, and the monitors are placed a short distance from the listening point.

In MY situation and with the Adam A7Xs, Sonarworks is virtually ineffective. It may be my ears, but the difference I hear is so slight that I don't see the point of keeping the software. It's still a super good piece of software with lots of useful mixing options. I recommend trying it out, for me doing so was totally free.

The app has a fairly extended trial period. I got the Sonarworks microphone from Amazon and have already started the return process. So, zero expense to try the bundle. Thanks so much for the suggestions.

This thread caught my interest. So much information captured here and has prompted me to weigh in a bit.
First thing that is strange for me is that AXFXIII presets can be set up on studio monitors. I don’t know if I would have the guts to tune all my presets on studio monitors then go play live through Guitar FRFRs and through the PA. I personally have a 800 watt RMS GRFR set up that I use to tune presets, never studio monitors. I guess people do, but I wouldn’t.
Second thing is, I don’t know that much more than 1% of us have a sonically good enough workspace to just slap monitors in and ‘know’ the sound is gonna be balanced. This is why for me, sonarworks R4 really is the way to go for most setups
Me, I have a pair of Adams A7x and sonarworks. The difference is pretty noticeable For me. If Sonarworks does not make a difference then you are either frequency deaf or have a well treated workspace and neutral speakers.

In
Premise, I have a well acoustically treated room. I have bass trap, sound absorbing and acoustic treatment panels made of poplar.

The room is not very large, and the monitors are placed a short distance from the listening point.

In MY situation and with the Adam A7Xs, Sonarworks is virtually ineffective. It may be my ears, but the difference I hear is so slight that I don't see the point of keeping the software. It's still a super good piece of software with lots of useful mixing options. I recommend trying it out, for me doing so was totally free.

The app has a fairly extended trial period. I got the Sonarworks microphone from Amazon and have already started the return process. So, zero expense to try the bundle. Thanks so much for the suggestions.
Interesting, can you share the curve for the a7x’s that sw corrected.

Back
Top Bottom