There's no one like Eric Johnson

I am SHOCKED I've never seen this performance. I thought I'd seen every vintage EJ performance available. This is an absolutely stellar one.

That's one of the better (if not best) performances of that tune caught on video. I was lucky enough to get to see Eric numerous times in the late 80's-early 90's as a kid just starting to play guitar. EJ, David Grissom, Charlie Sexton, Doyle Jr, etc. were all floating around Texas and playing locally all the time back then. Still enjoy hearing Eric play..

Awesome stuff! His precision and soul are inspiring!

I'm impressed that even when he hits a couple of unintentional notes he carries on like it was part of the plan. To have that kind of fluidity...... Just WOW!!

Amazing. Soars like a bird and totally lifts the spirits. Can't imagine what it would be like to understand the guitar so well and to be able to take improvisations right outside the box like that.

He was a wonder of that time. No one was doing that at all. Amazing stuff.

Sadly, he doesn't have those chops anymore. IHis tone is different and I find his playing is much more choppy. Twenty years ago, he was truly at the top of his game. Some of his live performances now are unlistenable imo.

He was a wonder of that time. No one was doing that at all. Amazing stuff.

Sadly, he doesn't have those chops anymore. IHis tone is different and I find his playing is much more choppy. Twenty years ago, he was truly at the top of his game. Some of his live performances now are unlistenable imo.

I think he still has the chops. His insistence on not using as much gain as he used to I think is responsible for the choppiness. He definitely doesn't sound as fluid.

I first heard Eric Johnson playing lead guitar on Christopher Cross's Grammy award winning album of the year S/T 1979 album.
Actually didn't know who he was really until I heard Ah Via Musicom (1990) "Cliffs of Dover"

He's an incredible guitar player, seems to have an endless way to express himself .. :)
in my mind I think he deserves much more recognition outside the guitar community.

Thanks for sharing this, I have not seen that clip before

:encouragement:

I think he still has the chops. His insistence on not using as much gain as he used to I think is responsible for the choppiness. He definitely doesn't sound as fluid.

I have on of the old "Crossroads" concert DVDs, and I can't listen to him on it. He sounds terrible. When he's off, he's really off. I've seen him live three times, and the last time I saw him (about 8 years ago), I wanted to leave.

He was probably picking up the bad vibes and wanted to leave too.

Most great musicians are sensitives and many do not know how to protect themselves.

Eric is a great musician and a great guy. On his worst day he is still miles beyond most guitar players. He also doesn't need an Axe Fx to have great tone, but I'd love to see what he'd do with one if he had one. Thanks for posting the video.

Back
Top Bottom