There is no such thing as 'djent,' it's not a genre.

From Wiki:

Some members of the metal community, including "djenty" bands, have criticized the term 'djent', either treating it as a short-lived fad, openly condemning it, or questioning its validity as a genre.

Post-metal band Rosetta said: Maybe we should start calling doom metal 'DUNNN'.[17]

In response to a question Lamb of God vocalist Randy Blythe stated: There is no such thing as 'djent,' it's not a genre.[18]

In an interview with Guitar Messenger Periphery guitarist Misha Mansoor said:

I was looking for gear that was djenty. I was like: ‘Are these pickups djenty?’ For some reason it caught on, but completely in the wrong way, because people think it's a style of music and they think it's a style of music I play.[19]

During an interview with got-djent.com, Sybreed guitarist Thomas "Drop" stated:

First, I don't really like the term 'djent'. It doesn't sound like 'djent-djdjdjent', more sounding like a mad duck, 'quack-quaquaquack'

In one respect, they're just wrong. If the majority of people are calling a duck a duck, then it's a duck. Even if it isn't a duck.

Also, I didn't know that 'djent' was intended to reference the sound of palm muting. I've verbally been doing that sound when talking about palm muting, or just intoning the effect, since the mid-80s - except the word was 'djun'. Djun Djun Djun Djun. Sounds cooler.

Last edited:
"Grunge" was a term universally rejected by bands now considered to be 'grunge'.

The media invents the terminology regardless of what the bands involved think about it.

Whats funny is the Djent and Thall names were made up pretty much by the bands who got the names popular. Its like they trolled themselves.....HARD.
Like stepping into a time machine and ruining the future, trolled that hard. I laugh about it mostly.....mostly.

Bands always reject the concept of being part of a movement, because to acknowledge such is to admit your a copycat for all but the most famous of the genre.

From Wiki:

Some members of the metal community, including "djenty" bands, have criticized the term 'djent', either treating it as a short-lived fad, openly condemning it, or questioning its validity as a genre.

Post-metal band Rosetta said: Maybe we should start calling doom metal 'DUNNN'.[17]

In response to a question Lamb of God vocalist Randy Blythe stated: There is no such thing as 'djent,' it's not a genre.[18]

In an interview with Guitar Messenger Periphery guitarist Misha Mansoor said:

I was looking for gear that was djenty. I was like: ‘Are these pickups djenty?’ For some reason it caught on, but completely in the wrong way, because people think it's a style of music and they think it's a style of music I play.[19]

During an interview with got-djent.com, Sybreed guitarist Thomas "Drop" stated:

First, I don't really like the term 'djent'. It doesn't sound like 'djent-djdjdjent', more sounding like a mad duck, 'quack-quaquaquack'

In one respect, they're just wrong. If the majority of people in culture are calling a duck a duck, then it's a duck. Even if it isn't a duck.

Also, I didn't know that 'djent' was intended to reference the sound of palm muting. I've verbally been doing that sound when talking about palm muting, or just intoning the effect, since the mid-80s - except the word was 'djun'. Djun Djun Djun Djun. Sounds cooler.

That.

And, since the eighties, guitarists have been scooping their tones more and more, so djun got into djin territory, finally moving over to djen. Add some sizzling highs and there's the t.

Djent.

And if enough people call it so, it is so

If this is the case then djent been around for 20 years because Meshuggah was the first band to say man that chord is djenty. It just means the sound of a four not chord heavily muted has a mettalic sound hence calling it djent. As far as I am concerened it is Metal whats with all the genres and sub-genres too much to keep track of. I mean some people get so caught up in it that one guy said man you cant mix All Shall Perish sound with Necrophagisht two different types of metal and then mixing djent with it. I m sorry but its just metal to me. I never heard anyone bitch about Pantera going from southern type metal to striaght death metal. Its Music ENJOY IT and do not Over Analyze It

Whats funny is the Djent and Thall names were made up pretty much by the bands who got the names popular. Its like they trolled themselves.....HARD.
Like stepping into a time machine and ruining the future, trolled that hard. I laugh about it mostly.....mostly.

HAHAHAHAH.

That.

And, since the eighties, guitarists have been scooping their tones more and more, so djun got into djin territory, finally moving over to djen. Add some sizzling highs and there's the t.

Djent.

Mmmm. I suppose so, yeah.

I mean some people get so caught up in it that one guy said man you cant mix All Shall Perish sound with Necrophagisht two different types of metal and then mixing djent with it.

Ahhh, post post modernism in the hands of youth.

I never heard anyone bitch about Pantera going from southern type metal to striaght death metal.

Pantera death metal?

Last edited:
I call it djent anyways because It's easily identifiable and saying progressive metal/math/whateverotherinfluencecorestep nonsense takes longer and starts more pissfests than a bathroom on octoberfest. I get tired of hearing bands name all these influences in their "style" and turns out they play polyrhythms in 7/4 with exceptionally ear nauseating tone.

Don't get me wrong, I like djent (or progressive metal for the sake of others) but some of the tones I've heard were awful and they were coming from popular bands. I have some pretty shoddy tone myself but they take the cake and eat it sometimes.

But anyways aside from that tangent, I will call it djent because It's easy and people know exactly what I'm talking about. Or should we start calling it polyrhythmic metal? :lol

Yeah I never thought "djent" described the sound I heard, sounds like the duck or wonk wonk wahonk wahonk wonk to me. I swear I and a friend in college coined the word chug, for the Testament sound on new order. We would scoop to death, chg chg chgggg chgggggghhh chggggggggggh, but no one named thrash "chug". Djent is supposed to be a sound.

I remember now people, mostly guitarists, saying chugga chugga chugga, though more often they said 'digga digga digga', 'digga dant digga dant', etc......

'Progressive metal' used mean, and still does to dudes over 30, Dream Theatre, Nevermore, etc.

I just mention bands and whether I like their music, and maybe why.

I guess whant i called death metal in PANTERA Like the Song "Use My Third Arm" "Suicide Note Part II". What I meant was look at the difference between Far Beyond Driven and The Great Southern Trendkill compared to Pantera's Last full album. Its like night and day. I think that it has become this way of labels from mostly reviewers and media. Guys getting a new Disk from a new Band and not being able to go "Oh man that sounds Like....." . Once they hear something they can not place they make something up. Next it will be upside down alien djent Deathhardsouthcore metal or something. It is all based from the same thing. Jazz Classical and blues

The whole sub-sub-genre thing has gotten way out of hand, to the point that they have become parodies of themselves... metal and electronic music seem to be the largest offenders, I don't know which is worse.

I'm with you actively protesting "Djent" as a genre, but I'm slowly giving in... I worked with a brand new sound guy last week and was explaining EQ's to him and I was like, "1k is usually a snare sound, but a lot of prog/metal guitarists have been putting subtle bumps here to give that boxy heavy pick attack sound. Bands like Periphery for instance..." and was met with a blank stare. I followed up with "Djent" and the light bulb came on for him...

My issue is people are calling everything with palm mutes "Djent". Metallica's Sad But True is considered "Djent"... Hey, let's go back and re-classify all the old rock and metal into new sub-genres! All you have to do is add "core" to the name. AC/DC is now "Hardcore Rock". Metallica is obviously Djent. Pink Floyd is most definitely post-rock ambientcore!

It doesn't just refer to palm muting. It's a term popularised by Meshuggah fanboys to describe the sound they were trying to copy.

Next it will be upside down alien djent Deathhardsouthcore metal or something. It is all based from the same thing. Jazz Classical and blues

HAH. And, unfamiliarity perplexes people.

My issue is people are calling everything with palm mutes "Djent". Metallica's Sad But True is considered "Djent"... Hey, let's go back and re-classify all the old rock and metal into new sub-genres! All you have to do is add "core" to the name. AC/DC is now "Hardcore Rock". Metallica is obviously Djent. Pink Floyd is most definitely post-rock ambientcore!

HAHAHAH. That is queer, isn't it.

It doesn't just refer to palm muting. It's a term popularised by Meshuggah fanboys to describe the sound they were trying to copy.

Well, that and, according to Wiki, the polyrhythmic use, etc. Regardless, reflecting back on Sidivan's commentary, there's this curious thing in youth culture with re-framing old stuff and calling it new. Like there's nothing new out there.

Well, that and, according to Wiki, the polyrhythmic use, etc.

Well, I'd disagree with the Wiki. But I'm not talking about "djent" as a style of music. In its original use, it was just about the guitar sound, particularly the attack of the note. There was much discussion about what got that sound... amps, boosts, string tension, pick attack, etc. I remember being on the Meshuggah forum around the time it started being used. Don't remember why I was there though, as I'm not even much of a fan.

In one respect, they're just wrong. If the majority of people are calling a duck a duck, then it's a duck. Even if it isn't a duck.

NOOOO!!! That is such a slippery slop of an argument. No matter how many times someone called a dog a cat, at the end of the day it is still a dog. Genre's are used as a descriptors, no matter how many people call me black, at the end of the day I am still a red headed, freckled ginger lol.

This is entertaining. From my local CL:

I have double bass and blast beat abilities, and would like to unleash them.

I'm only really interested in playing in either a Thrash Metal band, or starting up a Black Metal thing. I have experience in both sub-genres, and the two of them together make up about 95% of what I listen to...One last thing, last time I created one of these, I was inundated with emails about starting a death metal band. Please do not message me if you want to play death metal, I am not interested.

?..... So he likes metal, and he likes cheese with silly growling vocals, but really heavy music with growly vocals is no okie......

Is the new Periphery record djent? I don't think so. Great tunes but not drastically different from KsE or PTH genre-wise.

All these metal sub-genres are making me sick and tired already. TBH most of the time I don't hear the difference between black metal, death metal, frogmetal, autotunemetal etc. whatever they come up with. It's all just metal and people trying to boast how "original their own genre is". Djent however is clearly a different type of music. Don't know if djent is a genre though. What ever you do... ask Meshuggah, not Misha.

Meshuggah is: "avant-garde metal or experimental metal".

Back
Top Bottom