There are too many amps I like - no problem with the Gordius LG

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
After each firmware upgrade, I had more and more amps I liked.
Choosing is very hard.
i like a setup where i can choose on the fly with same layout:
drive ore comp - wah - phaser - whammy - amp - pitch - cab - chorus - flanger- delay - multidelay - trem - reverb - looper
So I started with about six amp types I liked on the Ultra.
No problem because I have 13 switches on the Gordius for presets. D1 and D2 were reserved for IA's.
After the last firmware update, I was up to 18 and it seems there are a few more I like.
I didn't wat to split my amp bank up so I had to try and make my setup as flexible as possible.
I used the bottom row (1 - 9 for presets and the top row to alter the presets that the first row activates.
So when I push the switch 9 I get preset 0 - 7
switch 10: 8 - 15
switch 11: 16 - 23
switch 12: 24 - 31
That's 32 presets in all.
But the Gordius has 13 switches.....
Ah yes, that's right.
I also have the same presets setup for stereo use. The first ones are for mono use.
So presets 32 - 63 are the same but with a special stereo spread setup that doesn't work when summed to mono.
When I push switch 13 it changes what buttons 9, 10, 11 and 12 activate in the bottom row:
Switch 9: 32 - 39
switch 10: 40 - 47
switch 11: 48 - 55
switch 12: 56 - 63

So that's 64 presets in all in one bank.
D1 is for IA's
D2 mainly for X/Y

But when I activate the looper on the D1 bank, D2 changes to a Looper control bank.

This is what it looks like: (The Fx-loop is for Piëzo's)
Gordius%20amp%20Bank%20Setup.JPG

Nice design! The Gordius is so flexible.

But this is why I limit myself to just a few amps for live use. :)
It can get confusing in the heat of the moment (gig). Also, I like a consistent tone.

When I first got an Axe-Fx, I wished for the possibility to switch just between amp types while staying in the same preset.
Kinda like a rack design, switching just amp channels without affecting effects, or vice versa.
Two 2 amp blocks, X/Y and Scenes have made this possible.

The ultimate goal, IMHO, would be being able to select any amp type on the fly using the foot controller, without changing presets and not pre-programmed.

But this is why I limit myself to just a few amps for live use. :)
I totally agree.
for live use, I would limit myself to a few amp types for clean/crunch/rhythm/lead (high gain)
But I wanted a flexible setup with all the amps I liked a s well so...
As far as switching amps and keeping effects on, I can do that with the Gordius as well.
Since I've got the same layout for all presets with different amps, I use "Retain Effect State" in the gordius to switch preset and keep the effects on that were switched on.
The ultimate goal, IMHO, would be being able to select any amp type on the fly using the foot controller, without changing presets and not pre-programmed.
I mentioned something similar way back when I had the Ultra.
There should be a rack configuration within the axe-FX.
To keep it simple:
One before the amp, one in the loop between amp and cab, one after the amp.
Assign a different channel number to each rack.
And then you can make combinations like you would in a real rack.
That would give you 128 x 128 x 128 x 128 combinations.
In theory there could be 16 different rack blocks and that would give a gazillion different combinations.
I would not only like this kind of setup for switching amps but also for harmonizers.
Now you need a preset for every instance other instance of the harmonizer.

I also use Gordius LGX2 with Axefx2 and settings that I would use is more directed to the preference of banks or song that the amps, so I divided the 13 switches in this way: 48 banks each formed from 8 patches (all 384 patches of ABC-bank) can be called with switches UP-DOWN and addressed to the switches 1-8. The switches 9-13 are engaged for 5 SCENES of each selected patch. With D1 within the selection of stompbox each patch with the switches 1-8 and 9-13 from LOOPER (rec, play, stack, reverse, once). D2 is reserved for the management of special effects type Harmonizer or stereo effects. All this is possible but not very easy to program in Gordius Control Center. is what I'm trying to do perhaps with the help of someone ...

Last edited:

But how could you do that? say there are 100 amps, You certainly cannot go up and down-take forever to get to #100 from #1. Possiblely 2 buttons that did 2 digits-one digit each so you could have say #14. But still hard.

But how would you remember where each amp is and still getting from a very low number to a very high number would a feat. I think it may be possible but not very feasible to use.

I don't think anyone will ever need 100 amps.
But perhaps a choice of 5, 10, or 15 amps like you now get with the MFC for IA's and presets.

The switches 9-13 are engaged for 5 SCENES of each selected patch
bobrian,
I don't know if you are aware of this, but with the Gordius, you don't need scenes.
If you want, I could try and help you with your setup.

bobrian,
I don't know if you are aware of this, but with the Gordius, you don't need scenes.

How come you say scenes are not the (best) way to have some 'scenes' of a preset?

MisterE, I could really use some help. But I use SCENE because I need to edit multiple sounds otherwise impossible to select together. This is a setting for SONG and not useful for AMP. If you want I'll get you the file (still incomplete) so you can see how it is structured and then tell me what you think. Thank you. Bob

bobrian,

Yes, you don't need scenes with the Gordius, but don't you find it to be easier to program parts of songs as scenes rather than putting everything together manually in the Gordius?
I'm still in the process of re-programming my setup incorporating scenes, but so far I think it's less complicated to handle the various bypass and X/Y switches through one scene selection; on the LG2 I'd have to create a new patch everytime and define the various FX and X/Y states.
Any input is welcome, as I'm still drifting between both approaches.

On topic: nice idea to be able to switch around the amp type within a given "pedalboard layout", but I guess it won't work simply because you always need certain (preprogrammed!) settings for every amp type. You would need to recall those settings from somewhere. Only theoretic solution I can imagine: store the desired amps/settings in patches and use sysex commands to recall "amp1" from patch "xxx" (if possible at all).

Seb

After each firmware upgrade, I had more and more amps I liked.
Choosing is very hard.
i like a setup where i can choose on the fly with same layout:

I accomplish something similar with Axe for Lemur. Touchscreen is the way to go, but an LG setup and axe-fx bank would be cool. Have you uploaded these somewhere they can be downloaded?

How come you say scenes are not the (best) way to have some 'scenes' of a preset?
'm not saying it's not the (best) way to use scenes.
I'm just saying you don't need it with the Gordius.
Fractal introduced scenes because on the MFC you're limited to 384 presets, as much as there are in the Axe-Fx.
With the Gordius, there a re no limits; the memory is dynamic.
So you can make as many "scenes" from one preset as you need.
Preset 1 - no fx blocks on
Preset 1 - phaser on
Preset 1 - flanger on
Preset 1 - chorus on
Preset 1 - delay on
Preset 1 - delay and phaser on
Preset 1 - delay and flanger on
Preset 1 - delay and chorus on
Preset 1 - drive and delay on
Preset 1 - drive, delay and chorus on
And so on...
On the Axe-Fx I have allready run out of scenes while on the Gordius I can keep making combinations.
But if you want to use scens for the mostly used combinations and program the rest in the Gordius, that would be fine too.
Whatever bakes your noodle.
On topic: nice idea to be able to switch around the amp type within a given "pedalboard layout", but I guess it won't work simply because you always need certain (preprogrammed!) settings for every amp type. You would need to recall those settings from somewhere. Only theoretic solution I can imagine: store the desired amps/settings in patches and use sysex commands to recall "amp1" from patch "xxx" (if possible at all).
That's what I suggested in my reply to Yek.
Have some kind of "internal amp rack" that has it's own midi channel where you store the amp settings.
Or you could do it with CC
bobrian,
For I song, I mostly use a preset with the layout as described in my first post.
In the Gordius I just program which blocks should be active, just like with scenes.
If you go into the preset page of the Gordius, you can add as many commands to one switch as you like.
So basically, I make a preset with all of the blocks turned of, the X/Y states to X and save that as an initial preset with the amp name.
If I want to make a "scense" from that preset, I copy it, and turn on whatever block I need and save that as a new preset.
Simple as that.
Since I'm using the same layout for all my amp types, I can copy the preset and just change the program change number and save that as a new preset.
I've also made switches for all IA's in the Axe-Fx.
I can send you the Gordius setup file or if anyone is interested, post it here.

1. We could get to YEK's wish even though there are 100 amps, by sending CC messages with each amp having a specific value. The same way that CC 34 is for scenes, and the value dictates the scene that is recalled by sending a 0,1,2,3,4,5,6, or 7. We could do the amp switcheroo by value. However, the question would be "how do you dictate what the bass,mid,treb, gain, volume and the countless other customizable features avaiable? We would need a "favorite amps" holding area, sort of like global, so we could save every setting in an amp, then recall that package with a CC and value.
2. Scenes - the Gordius can allow you to stipulate the X/Y and the on/off state of every effect in your preset. What scenes adds to that formidable power, is the ability to control the overall volume of that signal chain. Yes, I have always been able to do the same thing with my Liquid Foot, but I have found Scene recall invaluable at controlling the volume along with what my Liquid Foot was already doing for me, with regard to total flexibility of x/y and on/off without leaving a preset and causing an interruption of sound.

We would need a "favorite amps" holding area, sort of like global, so we could save every setting in an amp, then recall that package with a CC and value.
Indeed, 128 favorite amp settings. Like you would do with a rack with separate units for amp and effects.
What scenes adds to that formidable power, is the ability to control the overall volume of that signal chain
I can do that with the Gordius as well using CC
(mexican accent) "I don't need no stinking scenes" :smug:

Help from the Gordius users
Is the module the same as the others, just without switches?

I use FBC1010's. On ax, vg99 and gr33.
I want some IA's to spice up patches now and then.
I love the layout and am spoiled on 10 patches (Uno 5 w/5 IA's is not enough)and the built in 2 Expressions (work fine for me), #10 being silent tuner.
I bought my first FBC when they came out. So built my setups and brain on that format.

Little Gordius module..

Am i wrong in reading manual , I can add 8 IA momentary switches with this module while also using the FBC1010?

Back
Top Bottom