Then We Were Ziggy’s Band

Mott

Experienced
The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars was released 50 years ago today. I was a boy of not quite 14 years.

I don’t think any other record influenced my listening choices in subsequent years more than that one.

Man I’m getting old. Time takes a cigarette……

I remember seeing them on Don Kirshner Rock Concert or maybe King Bisquit when they first came out. I was maybe 12 and a huge science fiction nerd. I thought that was the coolest thing I had ever seen.

Then ELP Brain Salad Surgery a little later and I’ve never been a normal musician since!

Last edited:
I remember seeing them on Don Kirshner Rock Concert or maybe King Bisquit when they first came out. I was maybe 12 and a huge science fiction nerd. I thought that was the coolest think I’ve ever seen.

Then ELP Brain Salad Surgery a little later and I’ve never been a normal musician since!
No s h i t

The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars was released 50 years ago today. I was a boy of not quite 14 years.

I don’t think any other record influenced my listening choices in subsequent years more than that one.

Man I’m getting old. Time takes a cigarette……

Thanks for posting the anniversary; and yeah, that was a very influential album.

Been playing "Five Years" lately largely because I think that newsman is going to be on any day now to deliver that prophecy (more or less has for the past 20 years of the earth dying)! Mick Ronson is one of the greatest unsung heroes to ever grace the face of Rock n Roll IMO!! I got to meet him and Ian Hunter in the late 80's!!! Asked him if he and David were ever going to work together again and he really did not answer me ;~(( Then right before he died, David showed up on Mick's last album "Heaven & Hull", so I guess that answered the burning question I had ;~))

That album also influenced me to write my Moonage calculator in 1996 and it has been online ever since! Was listening to that album in '96, and when "Moonage Daydream" came on (which I had heard a thousand times before) I thought to myself, what is my moon age? I had no idea and to this day, I doubt one in a 100 million can tell you their moon age. So I built a moonage calculator (in part because I am a geek). Well, feel free to go ahead and calculate you moonage at the following address:

https://moondogwily.com/lunaclock/

If you have any feedback on the Luna Clock, feel free to let me know. In the future I will be offering additional data that is not currently there, but it is in the works. This version was built in Jan '21 after 25 years of a simple online form that did not offer as much data as this new rendition and did not have any graphical UI or feedback. Did this '21 version almost entirely in SVG, but I have NOT optimized it for phones, so if you do try it on your phone, you will need to expand it a bit and slide stuff around to get and read all the data.

"There's a star man, waiting in the sky, he'd like to come and meet us, but he thinks he'd blow our minds"!!!!!!!!

And then we have the song I wrote in 2018 called "Helio Orbit"! This song has not been completely produced or released, but the concept is that David was sent into space in the Testla that SpaceX shot into space. He was the driver!!! Some friends have told me that they have seen others with the same theory, but I can guarantee that this was percolated in my mind without the knowledge of anyone else having theorized it. I wrote it the day after the launch (but did not complete the lyrics until Feb 20, 2018). Here is the artwork and lyrics:

Helio-Orbit_by_MoondogWily.jpg

Helio Orbit - Copyright February 10, 2018 - ANO Publishing, LLC - All Rights Reserved

Remove my dead body
From the cryogenic chamber
Put me in a space suit
Though I'm in no danger
Launch me on a rocket
Towards the black star
Put me in a red roadster
To check for life on mars

(Admiral Stardust positioned for launch)

Starman sailing
Helio orbit
Arm out the window
Don't panic

Starman rolling
Helio orbit
One hand on wheel
Leavin' planet

(Payload configured)

I made the deal
And wrote it in my will
That I would have the most
Funeral surreal
EM told me
He would be happy to help
And now Davey Jones body
Plays the cards he dealt (Oh Hell)

Starman rolling
Helio orbit
Arm out the window
Don't panic

Starman sailing
Helio orbit
One hand on wheel
Leavin' planet

(Pyres lit)

Try to colide in this system
With nothing solid
Airbag deploy vector alter
Could prove fatal
Don't look straight into the sun
Without your visor
Radiation Protection Factor
Recommended

(Calm screen initiated)

I made sure nobody
Could ever mess with me
That is why we burried my bones
In a star filled sea
And to ground control
The circuits never dead
Major shifting to next gear
In the stars above your head
I cruise the solar system
In galactic fantasy Tesla red

Starman plays in
Helio orbit
Arm out the window
Don't panic

Starman sailing
Helio orbit
One hand on wheel
Leavin' planet

Theres a Starman
Sailing through the sky
Theres a Starman
Winking from up high
Godspeed Starman
Racing from our times
Farewell Starman
We wave to you goodbye
+++++++++++++++++++++

I used the actual launch audio in the production I have done for this piece so far, but was never comfortable with my guitar work on it, so I moved on to other material. In the last 18 months, my guitar playing has become so much better that it is probably time to renew efforts on finalizing this piece! Plenty of Ziggy references here as well as other DB references in both lyrics and art!

"He's told us not to blow it, cause he knows it's all worthwhile"!

And on a final Bowie note, I wrote a song in 2015 using David's "Ground control to Major Tom" lyric as a base for a message to none other than Prince (does MW have nothing better to do? - Actually I don't at the moment, recovering from a surgery on Monday and I can not play at the moment). I was feeling like there was something very wrong in Prince's world in Oct of 2015 so I wrote a song basically as a message to him. This one WAS released (on Funkaholics Unanimous album) and it is called "Beat Control To Major Funk". In this case, I would be "Beat Control" and Prince would be "Major Funk". Again some Bowie references here. The thing that bothered me come April of 2016 is, both of them died within about 6 months of me writing this. It is of course not my fault, but freaked me out for at least a couple of months and to this day it does not sit comfortably with me, but I liked the way it turned out! You can listen to it at .

Here is the artwork which was inspired by DB's UK release of Space Odity album cover:
a3228134237_16.jpg

Give a listen if you like!

"We've got five years, left to cry in"!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom