Now: Hanson... mmmbop

:shock: :lol:

tgunn said:
I googled modern day Beatles and came to the following conclusion:

Then: Beatles

Now: Hanson... mmmbop

:shock: :lol:
I think even Hanson would like to forget that song!!! :p

As technology progresses, so the music declines.

Sorry but the last part of that article depressed me. I still listen to cd's, and if a band can't put out a great "album" then i don't give two shits about their little hit songs.

And thats the way "I" like it. :evil:

I get really irritated with the "there's no good music anymore" sentiment. There are a ton of good bands that have come along since <insert decade you love>. Good music is the era in which you grew up and the new bands aren't playing that music anymore. That doesn't mean they're horrible. I grew up in the late 80's and 90's. When I think of good music, I think about Nirvana, Collective Soul, and Matchbox 20's debut album. Albums you can listen to from start to finish and they're fantastic.

Kids today still listen to entire albums. Go to a Killswitch/Engage concert and you'll see thousands of rabid fans that know every word to their songs. You might not like what they're doing, but there's no denying they are talented musicians putting out complex songs that speak to the current generation. Trivium is another up and coming band. Those guys are MONSTER players and song writers that have taken Metallica's place in my heart (Metallica is the reason I ever picked up a guitar in the first place).

The beauty of music is that it changes and evolves with society. If The Beatles came out today, they wouldn't sound like they did in the 60's. Their songs sure as hell wouldn't have the same content because their songs reflect what was happening in the world around them. We have different problems now than we did then and that inspires different music.

Radio stations do not select their music themselves anymore.
There are lists that say if a song fits to the advertising or not.
Only the ones in the lists are played, guitarsolos are cut out (to hard!), long intros and outros are deleted too if a longer or shorter song is needed.
You can not sell cars after Highway to hell, or sell gas after TNT... :cool:
Maybe that's right. As a consequenze they have to play mmbop... :roll:

Good music still exists, turn of your radio (if there is much advertising) and search by yourself.

Luckily, the Internet has functionally replaced the radio. It's better for the listener, and for independent artists, who would never have been able to get their music played on the radio, but can find a willing audience on the Internet. Ask bands like Periphery, Animals as Leaders, etc, etc, whose music is incredible, but would not have "fit" the radio profile.

Just to be clear - my Hanson comment was a joke and not meant as a menacing stab at modern music. :)
I too grew up in the 80's and love all sorts of music. Studied jazz, have been in pop, rock, dance (yes, I was in a euro dance band with a female vocalist and two keyboard players!) and all the way down to death and thrash metal bands. I was also a classical trumpet player for a few years - very good for honing your sight reading skills. Fwiw, I think "now" is great. There isn't a band like the Beatles were anymore, but then again that's not a requirement for great music.

Back
Top Bottom