The wireless unit you love?

Morbid

Inspired
Hey gang. Been looking at changing my wireless unit lately. The one I have works, but I really hate the design of the wireless pack.

I'm working with an unfortunately limited budget of around $200 right now (seasonal job), which cuts my options down considerably. Fortunately, I don't mind used products generally.
I'd also like to keep the unit rackmounted since my pedalboard is the MFC101, and I've really loved just having one cable running to my rack.

I've been looking at the Line 6 G90 (because I've seen them sell for around $200 used before), but I've recently found a series of HORRIBLE reviews for the unit (not sure how I missed them before).
I've always heard the wireless packs are a little flimsy (I'm pretty gentle with my gear), but there are a lot of complaints about cutouts, as well as virtually new units just up and dying for no reason.

So I'm looking for suggestions. What are your thoughts, fellas?
Do/did you have the G90? Any problems?
Should I run like hell from the G90 and look at something else? etc etc...load me down with info!

I've got a G30 thats been flawless so far, and it's the entry level of that series (at least it was). I don't see the G90 being any worse. I just stuck the receiver inside my rack with dual lock, works great and out of harms way.
That said, ANY wireless is susceptible to interference and dropouts, thats just the nature of RF signals.

I've got a G30 thats been flawless so far, and it's the entry level of that series (at least it was). I don't see the G90 being any worse. I just stuck the receiver inside my rack with dual lock, works great and out of harms way.
That said, ANY wireless is susceptible to interference and dropouts, thats just the nature of RF signals.
The complaints I read regarding drop outs and the G90 seemed a little more sensitive than just standard interruption. One person in particular stated that if they jump, the signal will cut out until they palm smack the wireless pack. While I don't intend on jumping around, I DO run our FOH sound, so I do occasionally take hard steps off of the stage or around areas to get a better perspective of the sound and would hate for that to be an issue.
Also, several people complained about HORRIBLE customer service with Line 6. That being said, these people could be exaggerating, inexperienced or just uneducated on their units...all the more reason for me to post here asking for experience from my fellow Fractalites :D

I ran a G90 without issue for close to 7 yrs.. Upgraded to the Senn D1 last Sept.
The G90 ain't the problem.. it's their newer xmitter packs..
Mine was metal.. The ONLY issue I had with it was that I bought some new batteries (EBL AA's 2800 mAh) that were slightly over-sized and would barely fit the battery compartment. Needed needle-nose pliers to remove them.
NEVER had an issue with the battery door (dropped the body a number of times).
Set it to LOW POWER.. NEVER had a drop-out or interference at all.
See if you can find an older unit ?
Heck, I might even consider selling you mine.. (had been keeping it as a backup, or to give to the church).

I ran a G90 without issue for close to 7 yrs.. Upgraded to the Senn D1 last Sept.
The G90 ain't the problem.. it's their newer xmitter packs..
Mine was metal.. The ONLY issue I had with it was that I bought some new batteries (EBL AA's 2800 mAh) that were slightly over-sized and would barely fit the battery compartment. Needed needle-nose pliers to remove them.
NEVER had an issue with the battery door (dropped the body a number of times).
Set it to LOW POWER.. NEVER had a drop-out or interference at all.
See if you can find an older unit ?
Heck, I might even consider selling you mine.. (had been keeping it as a backup, or to give to the church).

Wow, sounds like you had great experience with yours.

I should tell you, I'm resisting the urge to make a "size matters" joke regarding the batteries, haha.

So you think the problem may be with the newer units, huh? I've always thought company products would get BETTER with time, not worse. At least where the technology is concerned. *hugs his Axe-FX*

I believe the transmitter packs the G90 uses are still metal even today, but I can't be certain as haven't even seen one face to face if we're being honest.
I do know that the aforementioned G30 unit uses a plastic pack, and that one absolutely did have some serious battery door problems.

I thought they moved to plastic body paks.. with the newer G90 builds.
I DO LOVE my Senn D1 (digital).
No longer have to coordinate channels with band members (like I did with the G90).. as it auto-senses and switches channels on it's own. :)

I prefer rack-mount wireless. No pedal boards (except MFC) so I can put house XL + Wireless in same rack.. permanently wired.

I was under the (apparently false) impression that the G90 was digital as well.

The D1 DOES look quite nice, I'm not gonna lie. Right now I've got a Sennheiser XSW. It's a fine working unit, and I've yet to have it cut out, so I have no complaints in that regard. I HAVE noticed a tonal difference between it and cable (wireless isn't quite as bright), but overall it's fine. Like I mentioned before, my big complaint is the wireless pack. I've had the antenna get caught a couple of times, it's a bit bulky, and the cable coming out of the top has caused me a little trouble as well, mainly when switching instruments. If I don't put the cable in my pocket or hold onto it, it tugs on the unit.

I suppose maybe I'm just too picky, haha.

Hey gang. Been looking at changing my wireless unit lately. The one I have works, but I really hate the design of the wireless pack.

I'm working with an unfortunately limited budget of around $200 right now (seasonal job), which cuts my options down considerably. Fortunately, I don't mind used products generally.
I'd also like to keep the unit rackmounted since my pedalboard is the MFC101, and I've really loved just having one cable running to my rack.

I've been looking at the Line 6 G90 (because I've seen them sell for around $200 used before), but I've recently found a series of HORRIBLE reviews for the unit (not sure how I missed them before).
I've always heard the wireless packs are a little flimsy (I'm pretty gentle with my gear), but there are a lot of complaints about cutouts, as well as virtually new units just up and dying for no reason.

So I'm looking for suggestions. What are your thoughts, fellas?
Do/did you have the G90? Any problems?
Should I run like hell from the G90 and look at something else? etc etc...load me down with info!

I really dig my Shure GLDX wireless.

I use g10, and so far it works great. Never been on a stage that requires a longer distance than it supports.
Comfortability is superb. Completely plug and play. Not rack mounted though.... But I am planning to use velcro to stick it in the back of my rack case...

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to give their input. Thanks a lot!

Must admit, I'm starting to think I may have to try and guilt @s0c9 into letting go of that G90 ;) haha

I use g10, and so far it works great. Never been on a stage that requires a longer distance than it supports.
Comfortability is superb. Completely plug and play. Not rack mounted though.... But I am planning to use velcro to stick it in the back of my rack case...
My g10 has been the most trouble free wireless I've tried.

I've heard a lot of good things about the G10 actually. My big fear with it is that instead of a cable to pack, the pack itself (for lack of a better term) is RIGHT THERE on the jack, and there have been moments on stage where I've had to quickly set the guitar down in it's stand to handle a situation. My fear would be breaking the pack as a result of that.

I've heard a lot of good things about the G10 actually. My big fear with it is that instead of a cable to pack, the pack itself (for lack of a better term) is RIGHT THERE on the jack, and there have been moments on stage where I've had to quickly set the guitar down in it's stand to handle a situation. My fear would be breaking the pack as a result of that.
There are ergonomic concerns, to be sure, and also, the jack does not fit all guitars without some kind of extension, and is very problematic with stereo /piezo But sound and reception great.

Just unplug the thing.
There is absolutely no crackling noise or anything when you unplug it, because of it's clever design..
Btw, it doesn't have to be directly plugged to the guitar, you can use an extension cable if that suits you better.
Personally, i love that it requires no extra cables and plugs in directly. This is very comfortable.

I'd recommend the Shure GLXD System. You can get a rack or pedal version. When you get it, set the group for Group 4 unless you have multiple systems in your band's setup. The transmitter is metal. comes with a newer version of the 1/4" that threads the housing. The lithium ion battery has incredible battery life STANDARD!!! This is an expensive upgrade for all the other Shure wireless systems. You won't use any disposable batteries and the battery life far exceeds alkaline. There's no memory, so you don't have to fully discharge the battery. The range is comparable to all quality Shure wireless units, such as my ULX-D systems. Make sure to turn off WIFI devices on stage.
If you aren't creating a pro network of wireless units, I'd can't recommend a better gigging guitarist's wireless unit.

I'd recommend the Shure GLXD System. You can get a rack or pedal version. When you get it, set the group for Group 4 unless you have multiple systems in your band's setup. The transmitter is metal. comes with a newer version of the 1/4" that threads the housing. The lithium ion battery has incredible battery life STANDARD!!! This is an expensive upgrade for all the other Shure wireless systems. You won't use any disposable batteries and the battery life far exceeds alkaline. There's no memory, so you don't have to fully discharge the battery. The range is comparable to all quality Shure wireless units, such as my ULX-D systems. Make sure to turn off WIFI devices on stage.
If you aren't creating a pro network of wireless units, I'd can't recommend a better gigging guitarist's wireless unit.
The Shure GLXD looks great, but finding one within my budget looks like it'll be easier said than done. That doesn't mean I won't keep an eye out though :D

Back
Top Bottom