The Who live with Full Orchestra

bradlake

Axe-Master

having followed this band from their second live tour in the US in 1968 and seeing them at least once per decade since then I was amazed to hear their evolution from one of the worlds loudest bands to a stage of classical musicians behind them with a surprisingly low, yet satisfying dB level that i didnt even require my usual ear protection... Pete and Roger were
loose and garrulous and funny between tunes And though it was unseasonably cold in the outdoor venue everybody hung in there and we all had a wonderful time , some of the greatest sing-alongs I’ve ever heard from a rock audience

Tour ended in tragedy when someone accidentally doubled up on the pyrotechnic devices in the violin section.

Tour ended in tragedy when someone accidentally doubled up on the pyrotechnic devices in the violin section.
Thankfully, there were no pyrotechnics or any other bombastic concert/video/laser distractions , but the lighting was tastefully done. ...but I think the real potential for onstage disaster was Roger not having enough stage room to swing his SM58 around and beaning some unsuspecting hired cellist.

Yeah, I remember back in the day wondering why there was so much gaffer tape on his mic.

Then the show started and it became evident.

Sweet! What a thrill of a lifetime for that lucky violinist.
Every night she gets that thrill, as she and one other woman cellist not featured here are the only permanent string players on the gig and assist with the rehearsal and score management of the different orchestras in each city. I think why pete felt free to mess with her on the ending...

...I was amazed to hear their evolution from one of the worlds loudest bands to a stage of classical musicians behind them with a surprisingly low, yet satisfying dB level...

I’m sure Pete Townsend’s Tinnitus and hearing loss has a lot to do with it.

They still sound really good!

Back
Top Bottom