The Virtual Microphone System from Slate Digital, anyone seen this yet?

I use a lot of Slate products.

I think he and his team have good ears and know their stuff.

This looks more promising to me than the Liquid Channel Focusrite stuff. You need to know the exact microphone and preamp response to be able to pull off a clone on the fly. Including how the mic and pre interact.

Slate pushes the in-the-box stuff to the next level. I will definitely try to audition this when I can.

I also use a lot of Slate stuff (VCC, VTM, VBC, FG-X, SSD 4.0 with CLA Packs) and I've been reading through all the threads on the VMS today - exciting stuff if it really works.

I now want the Raven MTi and VMR, and I'm very eager to hear the VMS in real life and hear if it's the real thing, or at least very close to the real thing.

Count me among those who use a ton of Slate stuff. (VTM, VCC, SSD, FG-X, and Trigger) Love all of it and am interested to check out the VMS. Slate has came through on a lot of things that were thought to be next to impossible, so it's hard to doubt them. Having said that, doing what this system claims to do is a TALL task, so we'll see. But I really hope it's for real. At a price point of around $2k, how can you not be interested?

I wish UAD and Slate would join forces.

I love the UAD stuff equally to Slate. But having them integrated into a one host UI would be killer.

Exiting....kinda axe for mics and preamps....if its good i will sell my mics and preamp for it...
but man this video and the guy is bad...whats the music in the backround. Sounds like they will
tell soon the world will come to an end...not the analog studio stuff :)

I have almost every Slate Plugin there is, but for me this one is on the verge of jumping the shark...
How would you say that this is on the 'verge of jumping the shark'? How is this really any different than the Variax for example ?(or even the Axe-fx, which I'm sure Cliff has a loooooot more going on internally than the Slate system would have). Steven has made a point to point microphone/preamp ecosystem that hopefully will be a great setup. For the longest time I have been wanting the Sony c800 tube mic but I in no way ever see myself buying a $10,000 microphone just in the same way that I don't ever see anyone (other than Cliff) buying a $50,000 Dumble amp... same basic concept.

How would you say that this is on the 'verge of jumping the shark'? How is this really any different than the Variax for example ?(or even the Axe-fx, which I'm sure Cliff has a loooooot more going on internally than the Slate system would have). Steven has made a point to point microphone/preamp ecosystem that hopefully will be a great setup. For the longest time I have been wanting the Sony c800 tube mic but I in no way ever see myself buying a $10,000 microphone just in the same way that I don't ever see anyone (other than Cliff) buying a $50,000 Dumble amp... same basic concept.

It's not a new idea, to virtualize hardware, but in the recording world there are a couple of big bastions left that have yet to be virtualized completely: vintage mics, big iron consoles and great sounding rooms.

Most small studios and project rooms buy boutique mic pre's but never get to use the high end mics.

So for me, in this way, if Slate pulls this off like his other plugs, the virtual tape and virtual console, having real vintage mics and mic pres like this, is a game changer.

oh neato... I wish him and his staff would put more effort into making the FGX a 64bit plugin instead of this.and no im not using a
wrapper to make it work

just ranting

Here I am wishing I could afford any of his plugs. I only have ssd4 and make my own triggers. Wish I had trigger and fgx at least. But this is a neat idea.

Here I am wishing I could afford any of his plugs. I only have ssd4 and make my own triggers. Wish I had trigger and fgx at least. But this is a neat idea.

Trigger and FGX are both remarkable for what I do.

I was a loyal Drumagog user and even had the old Slate samples for Drumagog. Trigger really is a better plug for drum replacement.

FGX is great for faux-mastering. It really does increase impact and loudness but in the most musical way I've heard (as compared to other high-end mastering limiters). You can get 10dbFs crest factor mixes that really don't sound squashed.

Can't really trust this until we hear a guitar cab mic'ed with a 57 compared to the Slate mic. All the proximity/phase etc. comes to play. How will it compare?

Can't really trust this until we hear a guitar cab mic'ed with a 57 compared to the Slate mic. All the proximity/phase etc. comes to play. How will it compare?

With their other plugs, they get insanely accurate recreations of the hardware so I'm guessing they at least try to make it spot on.

But yeah, simulating how each mic reacts to mic position is a pretty cool concept. It will be cool to audition this like you said micing up drums, guitar cabs etc.

Yeah I know. I use Slate's plugins a lot and I trust them! I'm only worried about how well they break the laws of physics... you know.. how can a mic that's first of all a whole different size and shape take the same sound.. but I'm definitely extremely interested.

I did notice they have both large and small diaphragm mics. So I'm betting that is part of it. But I'm curious about polar patterns? How can they simulate a figure 8 ribbon?

Because of the hardware/software investment. I feel the same way about the Raven console, cool idea but is it really going to take off and become a widely used tool? Maybe, I am not judging either way.

But in general, I feel like Slate is biting off more than they can chew with the LARGE variety of products they are putting out in such a short time. Makes me question whether or not they can continue on this path without some a least tiny sacrifice in quality. I don't claim to know ANYTHING about their company (like I said this is not meant to be a judgement either way), but I have been an extremely loyal Slate customer who hasn't hesitated to buy their tools. It sucks because I am feeling less confident in the last year with their stuff... Delays on AAX, non-functioning betas... I am starting to get concerned that one of my FAVORITE companies is spreading itself to thin.

PS, I bought the David Bendeth Drum Expansion from them last night and was less than excited when I loaded them up in my DAW. Not sure, but the audio demos on the website sound "mixed" to me, and not like mixed as in the preprocessing they say is done on the drums, but like someone printed out each drum to separate tracks and eq/compressed separate kit elements. The kit presets sound nothing like the audio demos on the sight to me.

Back
Top Bottom