The Ventures

Geezerjohn

Fractal Fanatic
I have been rediscovering my love for the Ventures. They have sold over 100 million albums and recorded an astounding 250 albums. I cut my first chops on Ventures records. learning every song on every Ventures album as they were released. I have expanded my musical inspirations since then, but will always be inspired by my early musical heroes, The Ventures. For you younger players, if you have never discovered The Ventures, they are truly the pioneers of electric guitar. Start with Walk Don't Run, and you'll be hooked.

They were quite revered by most of the players in their most popular times, and influenced so many. Today's players may not know them, but their playing was affected by the Ventures if in no other way than their heroes (or their hero's heroes, as we get older) bore the influence of the change the Ventures lead in popular music. Good post.

Some of the very first songs I ever learned to play.

Didn't play them forever because I didn't have the right sound, but now...

A clean plexi with an Ac30 and some spring reverb and it's time to wax the board!

Pipeline is still a show stopper. People still love it. Solo Act does a great version of Walk Don't Run.

I remember grappling with Walk Don't Run, Pipeline, Apache, Out of Limits, heck, even Telstar and Hawaii 5 0. The Bond theme, Peter Gunn, Ghost Riders, I could go on and on. Even with the divorce from Fender to the allure of Mosrite, I hung with them. They truly are the band that launched a thousand bands. Glad to see that so many of my fractal friends are Ventures fans. Can't really say I am surprised at that.

Man, no disrespect, but you guys are old farts! :)
I'm 49 and The Ventures were well before my time!

I'm a bit younger than that but I grew up on the Ventures. Listened to them all the time with my dad, especially the Live in Japan record - a classic! They probably sparked my love for the sound of the guitar more than anything. Love the Ventures love here!

Saw them live at The Stanhope House in the early 80s. The place was packed with guitarists from 3 states. They were excellent.

Man, when I think of how we 50-somethings (and 60-somethings, and so on...) were around for so many monumental musicians and events, I can't imagine not having those references in my musical mindset. I consider myself mega-fortunate to have grown up when I did, exposed to everything from Hawaiian music from my Dad, to Motown to Country from my Mom, and everything in between on "pop" radio when it wasn't so divided as it is now. I'm good being among the elders here!

Getting older? Yeah. Getting old? Not a chance.

Man, when I think of how we 50-somethings (and 60-somethings, and so on...) were around for so many monumental musicians and events, I can't imagine not having those references in my musical mindset. I consider myself mega-fortunate to have grown up when I did, exposed to everything from Hawaiian music from my Dad, to Motown to Country from my Mom, and everything in between on "pop" radio when it wasn't so divided as it is now. I'm good being among the elders here!

Getting older? Yeah. Getting old? Not a chance.
10,000 upvotes. Make that 5,000. Don't have the energy to do 10,000.

Back
Top Bottom