The Ultra Sounds Too Good

Don't get me wrong. I really like the guys in the band, a lot. They are fine musicians and we get along great. I just never felt the need to get a Roland GR-55 to double the keyboard parts during a passage/song that has no guitar. I have no problem laying out or leaving the stage. Whatever works best for the song.

I just remembered that i used to put an older rat pedal with almost no gain in front of modelers. It almost always sounded better, even with clean parts. Something to try

I remember my main (and longest) gigging band and how we went thru gear phases......went from playing tiny peavey practice amps to solid state combos, to pods, to tube heads, to axe fx, and much more in between. With each change, the band itself changed.....everything from how we wrote and played songs, to how we set up tones, and I remember everytime we made major gear changes (2 guitars and bass, and we almost ALWAYS changed gear at the same time) we'd all be like...'uh....ok this is......different'. I think the biggest change was when we made the jump from solid state amps and modellers to tube amps many years ago.....I still remember those first few practices......all of a sudden things were clear as day, and we were all prominent in the mix, which sounded MUCH less muddy and mushy, and we started sounding professional.

The problem was, that we sounded DIFFERENT.....VERY different. The tones that we were used to hearing were gone, and we had trouble finding back the 'sweet spots' in the mix. I suspect that this case is not much different. They're gonna have to step up their game now, cuz there's no turning back after you go axe :D
Tell 'em lose the PODs, that's 1/2 the problem right there!!! Someone suggested tech 21 stuff, and I TOTALLY agree - I use some tech 21 stuff when I can't lug around heavy tube amps or axe fx, and they're cheap and can fit in your pocket. Sound WAAAAAY better than PODs, and are all analog, and sound fantastic...and they won't have to save up much, they can sell the pods and get enough money to get a tech 21 character series pedal.

It's funny how some think they need to play in every part of the song when really the best part to play in to make the band sound better is to not play at all. ;-)

Very true! Listen to this, I was playing in a band with this guy who always cranks his volume up when i am playing my solo part. I asked him why he is doing it and he said: "You're a lot louder than me, we're supposed to sound equal" :shock

I was playing in a band with this guy who always cranks his volume up when i am playing my solo part. I asked him why he is doing it and he said: "You're a lot louder than me, we're supposed to sound equal" :shock

shrug.gif

Back
Top Bottom