AFIII The Triaxis is Spot On

i really wish i didnt sell my triaxis with the recto board. I had one a while back, sold and then got another one with the phat mod which I removed and it sounded great. I wrote down my settings before I packed her up, and with those settings the red 1 channel in the axe does not sound like I remember, so i'm not sure what is wrong or if that model is ganked.
Getting the Axe GEQ and bright dialled in to match dynamic voice and presence on the Triaxis is the key IMO. Since the Axe has the 5 band mark EQ I find it much more flexible.

@ML SOUND LAB yep, diming an old Marshall is an experience but not great for the ears!

Here's a short clip demonstrating the accuracy of the Triaxis Yellow LD2 model - the clip below goes back and forth between my Triaxis and the Axe. I didn't have to do any fine tweaking on the Axe, I just copied the exact values from the Triaxis front panel and plugged them into the III.

The other modes all sound spot on too.

thank you for the vid!
do you happen to know:
what tubes you are running in triaxis?

I have two of them. Both with the Lead 1 Red board. I gigged a Triaxis rig for a long time. Triaxis, TC G-Force, dbx 266xl (because the compressors in the TC sucked and it couldn't do 4CM) and a 2:90. At some point I replaced the 2:90 with a VHT 2:50:2. Then the rest got replaced with an Axe-Fx.

if I may... everywhere I read about the triaxis they refer to the two boards as the "fat/early" and the "no fat/later". Can you tell me which the axefx model is based on?

I have the 'no fat' in my triaxis and a mixed-set-of-tubes. Have often thought of going back to the jjs because the heavier channels (ld1r) sounded better but I wonder if that difference is more the board or the tubes.

btw/fyi for anyone interested: there are a number of sites that feature triaxis factory/artist preset sysx downloads for various artists (grailtone, tonymckenzie.com https://tonymckenzie.com/triaxis_downloads.htm), and there is a online editor that will load those sysx files and show all the triaxis settings (https://triaxiseditor.com/). At some point I planned to setup some of those on the axe fx (many are setup on my triaxis) and compare.

I did the same thing to test the accuracy of the TS808, put the real 808 in a loop and set up identical scenes that flip flopped between the Fractal 808 and the real one. To my ears, absolutely no difference at all.

I always wanted a 2/90/2 but being in the UK at the time the price was just too high. That being said, the rack set up I had with a Marshall EL34 100/100 was a total monster of a power amp both in weight and output, that thing thumped hard in the chest. I had it paired with the JMP-1 for my gigging set up and I really loved that rig but being able to slave other amps into it for recording and getting different tones was the real fun. Running things like Mesa's (which was rare in the UK) and 5150's etc. that have 6L6's slaved to the 100/100 was so much fun.

Back
Top Bottom