The Toruk Has landed!

LVC

Fractal Fanatic

oooh boy!! it's like an early X-mas
can't wait to hear a review

I set one up (had to). I forgot to turn the cab sim off and I have to say these things sound outstanding with the Cab sims on.

I am telling you they sounded ridiculously good with the cab sims on.

I have to dupe my patches and tweak them for no cab sim.

The highs are fairly pronounced (which I like) but I expect they will warm up after 10 or so hours of break-in (been there with other speakers).

this weekend I will set both cabs up and start tweaking some presets for cab only.

first impressions -- Home run.

Review will follow after I gig them.

file_zpsf572a9e4.jpg

Last edited:
Tweaked my Twin -- took all of 5 minutes (going to be easier than I thought). Good lord does it sound good. FW11b kills through this speaker (well with a Twin so far).

Going to tweak the OD pedals in the patch (wife is out for a couple of hours - need to take advantage).

forgot to mention -- it is loud and stays clean. You can do a gig with a loud band with just one speaker Two could be an overkill -- but hey they are so light that both together weigh less than a typical 1x12 cab.

Last edited:
wife is out for a couple of hours = volume

cool lil' cabs ain't they...

They sound fantastic -- what has really blown me away was how good they sound with the cab sim on.

I am playing with my Twin patch (no cab) -- it sounds ridiculous. Patch needed a little adjustment but it only took a few minutes to dial it in.

Clock is ticking -- need to get back to dialing in the OD pedals in patch.

cab sims on sound good eh?? hmmm
you are pretty much a clean low gain type of guy though right?

Do you still have the other Matrix speakers? I'm curious how the two models compare to each other.

Thanks man! :) I need to buy a new cab or monitor soon so I'm trying choose which one to get. My main concern with these is that people don't know whether to use cabs or not. No offence but that is wrong and a big turn off for me. Is there a reason why there are no rhythm sound clips with these? I've never seen as many clean clips anywhere but NL12 reviews. :)

Thanks man! :) I need to buy a new cab or monitor soon so I'm trying choose which one to get. My main concern with these is that people don't know whether to use cabs or not. No offence but that is wrong and a big turn off for me. Is there a reason why there are no rhythm sound clips with these? I've never seen as many clean clips anywhere but NL12 reviews. :)

Not sure what you mean about knowing whether to use a cab or not?

Regarding clip/rhythm playing -- I just got the speakers and tried to post something quick for you. Also playing those types of jazzy chords allows me to hear the nuances of the gear I am testing better.

When I get the thing dialed in and both speakers setup I will do another iPhone thingy.

The reason I am posting clean clips is because that is what I am into. I play mostly r&b/soul with a few sprinkles of light classic rock -- nothing heavy.

A great clean tone is the thing I personally look for when I buy a new amp.

I would not know what a good high gain tone is suppose to sound like even if it bitch slapped me in the face. :lol

Last edited:
Do you still have the other Matrix speakers? I'm curious how the two models compare to each other.

As I mentioned above I have a Q12 which I am going to use for a wet/dry setup.

Regarding comparison -- the Q12 is great and so far I am feeling the same way about the NL12.

The Q12 has provided me with about as close a real amp/cab experience as I have had playing the Axe.

So far NL12 has made the AF2 feel and sound like a tube amp (at least with my go to Twin patch).

If you are into playing real tube amps and enjoy that experience then the NL12 might be worth exploring. If you are more into a studio processed type of sound -- you might want to stick with monitors.

Back
Top Bottom