The thread about adding profiling is gone

I think people spend too much time chasing other people's tones and not enough time finding their own voice. I think the Kemper is a neat idea, but something like that would never replace an Axe-Fx in my rig.

*Hops off soapbox*

Wow, couldn't agree more...Brian May or Stevie Ray or whoever has great tone, but that's THEIR tone...I always come up with MY tone...even if it's similar to someone else's it's still something I dial in to where I want it. Even when I'm trying to come up with something radically different, it usually ends up sounding like my main tones...I just gravitate toward certain tones...

What should Cliff call his version of profiling, should it come through?

sAmpling? dnAmping? immortAmpizing? vAmpiring...? :p

If he misses the mark (or not), I know how they'll be calling it as well...
icon_e_wink.gif

Last edited:
I think people spend too much time chasing other people's tones and not enough time finding their own voice.
I don't know about "people"...if you're in a cover band, that's what you do.

But personally I like the Axe FX's ability to let me create the tone in my head and that's why I prefer it. If I wanted the exact tone of a Plexi I'd probably have one. Instead, I prefer to take the base tone of a plexi and re-shape it to my own preferences. The Axe FX is well suited for that...very well indeed!

Hi NY Guitarist..I didn'd use AxeII cause my good friend (big pro guy..long time Ultra user) got it and after few weeks gave it back very dissapointed (core tone and feel wasn't much better than Ultra) so I'm learning from other's mistakes..not from my own ;-)

Well a sincere wish for you to find what you are looking for. I used my own ears to decide if the Axe was right for me or not.

Dear Sebastian..Could you explain me why Vai,Petrucci and others don't use those so beautifull sounding amps from Axe on stage.. ??? I tried to like it for long time and it was the worst period of time in my life on stage..Sorry guys but it's true..It was always almost good ,but somehow always sucked..Maybe not completely true..the clean sounds and effect quality were quite ok..that's it..

Explaining why some guitarist doesn't use the Axe for its amp sounds is pointless. There can be a multitude of reasons (that are totally unrelated to the Axe) and for every example of a guitarist, who doesn't use the amp sims, there will be one who does.

I'll never say that the Axe is for everyone. Some love it, some don't and it sounds as you're part of the latter category. No problem at all.
I just take issue when someone declares his own findings and conclusions as the ultimate truth for everyone.
There are enough people out there to prove that your general statements are utterly wrong.
This does not render any of your personal feelings wrong. As I said, if you don't like it, no big deal, move on, there is enough gear for everyone to be happy (yes, I'm optimistic with that ;) )
But don't go like "I found the truth and you all are either dumb, or deaf or ignorant!" - solely this sparked my troll comment.

Seb

Dear Sebastian..Could you explain me why Vai,Petrucci and others don't use those so beautifull sounding amps from Axe on stage.. ??? I tried to like it for long time and it was the worst period of time in my life on stage..Sorry guys but it's true..It was always almost good ,but somehow always sucked..Maybe not completely true..the clean sounds and effect quality were quite ok..that's it..

Thanks for your opinion but you are in the vast minority and that's OK. There are many guys here who have grown up on quality tube amps. I have owned pretty much every major player on the market, (vintage, modern and everything in between) and I like to think I have a pretty good handle on what an amp should sound and what good tone is although that is totally subjective in itself. This goes for almost everyone else that has bought a Fractal Axe FX.

Maybe you should check out the guys who are using the amp and cab sims and not just the big players who use it strictly for effects. Hmmm... Via, Petrucci... if the effects were anything short of stellar, well they simply wouldn't use it. So I think that in itself shows the validity of the amp and cab sims and the quality of the Axe... and by the big names who do amp/cab sims that have very discerning ears. So for you to even suggest that the effects are just OK... well you're entitled to your opinion.

So why did you post again?...
MSN-Emoticon-fishing-175.gif

Last edited:
Hi NY Guitarist..I didn'd use AxeII cause my good friend (big pro guy..long time Ultra user) got it and after few weeks gave it back very dissapointed (core tone and feel wasn't much better than Ultra) so I'm learning from other's mistakes..not from my own ;-)
YOu're not going to learn a lot that way. You always have to trust your own taste and ability, not that of others. One schmoe might like it another might not. And that's totally fine. But to be PREJUDICED against or about something because of hearsay is silly.

Some people like Ibanez guitars, some people like Gibsons and yet others like PRS or Fenders. There's a good chance that by changing guitars they aren't going to feel comfortable or like playing them. Same thing goes for amps, effects, strings, picks, whatever. It all comes down to preference and needs. So while I disagree with MrPollack, I can respect the fact that he didn't find what he was looking for because he has his own set of needs. Using a blanket statement that would assume that everyone has the same needs or wants is a bit narrowminded, but I understand what he was trying to say and it was his opinion based on his own needs and experiences.

There are other point of views out there though. Just because I think that Ibanez guitars are horribly difficult to play because of the thin necks and bland pickups doesn't mean that there aren't a hell of a lot of people that get amazing usage out of them. I don't like them. But I'm not self centered enough to tell everyone that they're wasting their time playing them because it's obviously not the case.

My experiences, my opinions, yours may be different.

Yes, but I don't believe mr. Pollack used an Axe. The other tihng is it takes a moment to get used to a set up. You have your own worn out shoes that feel comfortable as hell. Often trying on new ones, unbroken, feels strange and uncomfortable. No knock on the new, it's just you're USED to the old. I can play a NEW, fantastically set up, great, expensive guitar, yet I'll still grab my old tried and true Strat and Gibson. Always, until I've really sat down with the new guitar over a long period of settling in.

All this, whatever, is fine. It's all good. I just get a little frazzled when people come out the gate saying IT'S THIS or IT's THAT, as if by proclamation that is universal, rather than voiced as a personal opinion. "It's SUCKS!" as a universal truth. OK, just speak your opinion for yourself and I'm fine.

I believe that Mr. Pollock used the Ultra, but like others have said it's not for everyone, and one of those main reasons is to get the sounds that are in your head to come out of the Axe Fx, it takes some major tweaking in the beginning. But over time it actually becomes pretty easy.

Call it cloning. That's what we've called imaging a unix system onto new hardware for years (in AIX land anyway). That term is so abused, there can't be much legality left to it. Mirroring is another term that could be abused. Profiling makes me think of that TV show, with the blond and brunette...and then I forget what I was going to write in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom