The Synth Block

oh i forgot to put the GR300 one up -

noodling starts at 00:33

if you like that Lyle Mays sound in the background (you know, the one he always uses!), just use two or three slightly detuned square waves. you can add bit of punch to the attack by modulating the duty of one of the oscs with envelope or an adsr

here are some more examples. i've used the synth blocks in combination with other fx, like the pitch shifters (to get chords from one note or to add crystals) etc

plays by itself (you can loop guitar over the top)

i can explain how some of these were done. please don't ask me for the patches :)

Do you have the Taurus Bass and Strings patches up on axechange?

I always appreciated your work as well!

+1 on the strings man. I've been lookin for a great string patch for a while now with no luck. They always seem to have some strange detuning thing goin on. Wish I could find a beautiful heavenly Omnisphere type string patch. Not sure if they even exist but would be awesome to be able to strum a chord on the acoustic and have it sound like a smooth liquid symphonic dream! ;)

Nice job indeed, Simeon. Thanks.

Another idea could be having the capacity to use AXE as a sampler; perhaps to much for the AXE in terms of memory and a nice algorithm to extrapolate samples

remember, the synths are monophonic, so you can't play chords

axe as sampler is beyond the ability and scope of the current unit. if you need to go further than this, get a guitar synth or a roland midi converter and a module or send midi to your laptop running omnisphere

axe as sampler is beyond the ability and scope of the current unit. if you need to go further than this, get a guitar synth or a roland midi converter and a module or send midi to your laptop running omnisphere

O.k. Thank you so much for that advice. I think sending midi to my computer running Omnisphere would do the trick then.

Is this why if I try to play fast triplets using a synth patch, it seems to belch? Is there a particular parameter that speeds the note decay to prevent collision during fast riffs? I have been struggling with that.

Is this why if I try to play fast triplets using a synth patch, it seems to belch? Is there a particular parameter that speeds the note decay to prevent collision during fast riffs? I have been struggling with that.

you could use the gate block, i suppose, but nothing can replace good technique... :)

i did suggest to Adam a while back that we could expand the synth block tremendously if we could modulate one wave form with another. this is the basis of FM synthesis and would open up a door to a whole new world. (think about the sort of sounds that were available on the old DX7). ableton live has a simple synth called "operator" which has four oscillators and they can be connected in a variety of ways. it's capable of producing some pretty amazing sounds. here is an example i made of a simple saw wave being modulated by two other saw waves...if the axe was given this possibility, then it could make sounds like this (and many others!)

http://www.simeonharris.co.uk/misc/saw_mod.aif

Did you ever get a response on this suggestion? This would be cool times two. 8)

Nicely Done Simeon,
Your sound bites are incredible. I have to confess when I read your explainations it's like reading another lauguage:shock. I am intrigued by the sounds your are making. Thanks for sharing some of those.

I've been thinking lately that a SUSTAIN pedal capability would be a very powerful addition to the Synth block.

Yes, please.

Also, my studies and research have yielded that we could expand the synth block tremendously if we could modulate one wave form with another. this is the basis of FM synthesis and would open up a door to a whole new world. :p

Hi simeon, towards then end of the GR300 patch it sounds so much like a mouth organ it's beautiful. Is it still the same patch. I'd love to have that patch if possible.
Thanks in advance Nick H.

Back
Top Bottom