The Sweet Spot

Leon...Another great tutorial .. How are you getting VU meters alongside Axedit ? Thanks

They're the meters in my UAD Apollo.

Probably the most important control in the amp block.

One thing i like about the new authentic tab in Axe-edit is it reminds me to just get the MV set right before I do anything else.

Realistic master volume is what lured me into Axe-Land a decade ago, and it's only gotten better since.

There's nothing else close at this stage in the game IMO.

To add to this, when adjusting the master volume, if you are listening through an FRFR or cab, don't be fooled by the volume decrease or increase making it sound better, cleaner, tighter, punchier, vibrant. Since I don't use headphones, I make sure my room volume is at stage volume, when making adjustments. This way I don't end up with mud.

thank you for answering my question on that "sweet spot" from last week. that was the best explanation of "sweet spot" that i could have asked for. your a awesome person to take time for us newbies! I would love to here you live in Seattle WA.

Fantastic video as usual! I've learned so much from your vids!

This brought up a question as I was watching this video. Is it possible to tie the overall level control to the master volume? Perhaps a better question is: is it possible to maintain a constant output level to the main speakers or cabinet while playing with the master column of the amp? This could be useful so the volume that a person hears remains constant allow one to tweak the master to their liking.

One thing i like about the new authentic tab in Axe-edit is it reminds me to just get the MV set right before I do anything else.

I only noticed the authentic tab last week (enjoying presets/not tweaking) and it makes me so happy as an old fart, who only moved to modellers in the last few years. Just less to think about and more natural for me.
Although I was aware of the effect of the mv on stuff like Marshalls, it’s an excellent point as it’s easy to get carried away and start setting it at daft levels you can’t do in the real world to get that power amp distortion, but wonder why it sounds awful. I was definitely guilty of it when I first started using a Plexi, an amp I’ve never played for real, but lusted after for years.

Great video. Can't wait to get some more time to really sit with the gear and tweak stuff in. I keep getting caught up in enjoying playing through it, and I get distracted from the 'homework' of learning about all the things there are to tweak!

I am still discovering more amp models I like at this stage. Loving the Jumped Hipower, and found a pic of Dave Gilmour's HIWATT to grab some really good starter settings from. It's been crazy busy here the past few weeks, so guitar time has been a bit hard to come by....

Fantastic video as usual! I've learned so much from your vids!

This brought up a question as I was watching this video. Is it possible to tie the overall level control to the master volume? Perhaps a better question is: is it possible to maintain a constant output level to the main speakers or cabinet while playing with the master column of the amp? This could be useful so the volume that a person hears remains constant allow one to tweak the master to their liking.
I suppose you could tie a scene controller to the master and the to say a volume block after the amp and have it lower the volume block as the MV is increased. Would require some experimentation.

This is a really valuable video. I've never seen the master volume control explained and demonstrated in this kind of methodical way before.

Thanks!

Also, ML Sound Lab's video of tying the Master and Level controls to one pot is a pretty brilliant idea. Gotta try experimenting with that idea later on.

Last edited:
That video was done way before even Quantum hit Axe-Fx II but I remember requesting for a temporary audition knob that would keep the volume level constant no matter what you do inside the amp block because many knobs affect the volume like presence, treble, gain etc. I'm not sure if anyone has used Slate FG-X for master limiting but it has this knob called "CONSTANT GAIN MONITORING" and it's one of the best tools for this kind of a purpose. You'll judge your settings NOT based on the volume level that you like but based on the actual sound. Would still be very useful IMO but it's complicated math I'm sure. Actually now that I think about it I see no reason why you would have sort of a mathematical "wise limiter" that keeps your signal level the same and not just for temporary use. I sure spend a lot of time aiming for that -6dB when tracking. It's not a big issue but could be a useful tool.

As he said use ears not eyes. And as important, use your hands to feel out the sweet on dynamics for your playing, genre and expression.

"Does the Axe-Fx master volume act like the master volume on a real amp" - you betcha!

Thanks a lot for that trick! I've been using an Axe 2 for a few years now and never realised the master volume was such an important tone parameter. I instantly managed to improve 2 of my main presets. I found easy to do it even by using my ears, no VU meters, there is indeed a spot where the volume stop increasing and the tone changes. More power amp character in the sound is better.

Back
Top Bottom