The SPEAKER page

Clockwork Creep

Power User
I have a matrix gt1000FX and a real Zilla fatboy 2x12 cab.
The goal here is to make the Axe sound and feel exactly like the real amp would through that cab. Not just an approximation.

I consider the Speaker page to be probably the most important set of settings to reach this authenticity. It does make a huge difference on feel and tone.

I did read the wiki, but there are still some things I'm not sure about.
1) Resonant frequencies. Let's say, i keep the same cab, but only switch the Amp model. Let's say i got the resonant frequency values set for amp "A" to give authentic results on that cab. When I switch to amp "B", do the same resonant frequency values give authentic results for Amp "B" too? Do I have to adjust the resonant frequencies for each amp model differently?
2) How do I set these values to be authentic in the first place? The best I could do is go by ear, but how would I know if they're right without a reference? Is there an objective way to set this 100 % right? I read that to find the low end, you have to use the filter block and just find at which frequency, the cab is loudest or something like that. Can someone explain this in higher detail? What about the amplitude/Q/Slope of the resonance? What about the high end?
3) Xformer settings. Are these settings Cab dependant too? Or are they static, set to authentic values for the particular amp model by default? How do I set these to authentic values for a particular cab used?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although admittedly not addressing your authenticity issue, I have always found that the low resonance settings have a profound impact on the feel of the cabinet and always spend a little time trying to find the values that sound good to me. I find the default 110hz is almost always too high. Of course, once you've messed these settings, you have to go back and fiddle with BMT a little too.

Although admittedly not addressing your authenticity issue, I have always found that the low resonance settings have a profound impact on the feel of the cabinet and always spend a little time trying to find the values that sound good to me. I find the default 110hz is almost always too high. Of course, once you've messed these settings, you have to go back and fiddle with BMT a little too.

There's no overall default (110). It varies per model.

I agree that finding and setting the correct value is very important to increase sound and feel.

1) Resonant frequencies. Let's say, i keep the same cab, but only switch the Amp model. Let's say i got the resonant frequency values set for amp "A" to give authentic results. When I switch to amp "B", do the same resonant frequency values give authentic results for Amp "B" too? Do I have to adjust the resonant frequencies for each amp model differently?

You can use the same values.

How do I set these values to be authentic in the first place? The best I could do is go by ear, but how would I know if they're right without a reference? Is there an objective way to set this 100 % right? I read that to find the low end, you have to use the filter block and just find at which frequency, the cab is loudest or something like that. Can someone explain this in higher detail? What about the amplitude/Q/Slope of the resonance? What about the high end?

It can't be missed when done correctly. There will be a frequency range where bass is much more prominent than elsewhere. That's the correct area. TBH I never touch speaker parameters other than the (low) Frequency parameter.

3) Xformer settings. Are these settings Cab dependant too? Or are they static, set to authentic values for the particular amp model by default? How do I set these to authentic values for a particular cab used?

I never touch these.

The low frequency peak for a cab is always the same, mine is 137.5hz, the rest cannot be found without direct comparison so I just try to find the most pleasing tone without seeking weird amp settings to compensate. If the amp is set right, then I work on the basis that the speaker res must be tuned to get the best tone out of it. Comparing with real amps on my cab, the axe models are generally too dark so I make it as a rule not to try and compensate that with unrealistic settings but with the speaker page. And from model to model, the res parameters can vary significantly. Should they, I don't know, but if it makes an amp sounding better than it would, then why not.

I think all you can do is find it by ear, as every cabinet is different. For example, a V30's resonant frequency is 75hz, but this goes up when mounted in a cabinet - and by how much depends on how big the cab is, how many other speakers there are, whether it's closed back or open back etc.

I recall hearing a good trick on here about using a sine wave from the Synth block and sweep it slowly until the resonant frequency pops out, and you can feel the cab resonating if you rest your hand on it.

I recall hearing a good trick on here about using a sine wave from the Synth block and sweep it slowly until the resonant frequency pops out, and you can feel the cab resonating if you rest your hand on it.
This is the best method for finding the low resonant frequency. You just can't miss it by doing this.

Although I was skeptical at first when I found out the resonant frequency on my Marshall 4x10 1960B is pretty low (61.60 Hz) compared to most of the values you find on the different amp models inside the unit. But that's where the cab resonates and it definitely makes the low end sound more natural and defined.

I used to worry about the LF freq.
Can't really say that it ever really helped or hurt.
I use a GT1000 (or a Bryston 2B LP) through open back 1 X 12" EVM-12L loaded cabs.
Now I just leave it at the default settings.
Sounds better than ever with the latest firmware.
But I'm a jazz guy.
It might be different for the folks who are trying to get the cab to thump.

Using Matrix 1000 and Port City 2x12 - find that LF is usually between 87-90.. I always change it to that when I start a new patch regardless of amp. I find I get the best clarity and thump there. If is a little bassy/muddy, I will tighten up the low res Q ( think that's the knob that tightens the bass freq range, I'm at work - so I don't have it in front of me).

PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong...this only applies to people using a guitar cab, correct? Do you do this with your CLR?

Just guessing, but I'd probably take the cab outside to a field, slowly sweep it with a low freq. sine wave, and monitor the output level. I would expect the output to be loudest at the center frequency of the resonant peak.

Just guessing, but I'd probably take the cab outside to a field, slowly sweep it with a low freq. sine wave, and monitor the output level. I would expect the output to be loudest at the center frequency of the resonant peak.

Hah. Good idea although a bit impractical.
But whenever I've tried to do a sine wave sweep at home, yeah, everything else in the house starts rumbling so it's hard to focus in on the cab's resonance.
Maybe I'll try it come summer in my back yard and see how my neighbours react. lol

PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong...this only applies to people using a guitar cab, correct? Do you do this with your CLR?
While these settings don't make speakers rumble at certain frequencies (As they are FRFR) like they do on real cabs, they strongly affect the tone and feel. The amps only sound authentic, with the IR used, when these settings are correct to the cab used to capture that IR.

Still wish that these settings were Inbeded in the Cab simulation, and load automatically with IR's.

I think all you can do is find it by ear, as every cabinet is different. For example, a V30's resonant frequency is 75hz, but this goes up when mounted in a cabinet - and by how much depends on how big the cab is, how many other speakers there are, whether it's closed back or open back etc.

I gave this a shot last night, worked really well. I could feel my cab resonating and the tubes in the head on top of it started rattling at about 127hz so I guess that must be it.

My cab is a Zilla Fatboy 2x12 with a V30 / K100 combo, so I’m not sure if the different speakers give it multiple resonant peaks.

I had tried in the past just playing and sweeping it around but that was more difficult. Hard to tell if I’m just hearing the room resonance.

I gave this a shot last night, worked really well. I could feel my cab resonating and the tubes in the head on top of it started rattling at about 127hz so I guess that must be it.

My cab is a Zilla Fatboy 2x12 with a V30 / K100 combo, so I’m not sure if the different speakers give it multiple resonant peaks.

I had tried in the past just playing and sweeping it around but that was more difficult. Hard to tell if I’m just hearing the room resonance.
I will have to try this. I have swept up and down while palm muting notes, and can feel more vibrations, but I feel like using a sine wave would be more exact. However, I usually use 2 cabs, so I guess I will have to try each cab at once. Not sure how I could set it for both.....

Back
Top Bottom