The SLA2 alternative and other questions

spikey

Experienced
Well, dang it I just cant afford $500 plus poweramps or set of FRFR's right now, and I have a 2007 nice Marshall slant stereo 1960 cab sitting here gathering Texas dust. So I looked and found a slightly used Art SLA-2 power amp on ebay, for abt 200 bucks. I hope this wasn't a mistake, but it was in a nice price range for me and the guy has great feedback and says its mint....

I plan on adding that SLA2 to my Axe-Fx ultra rack and start utilizing the Marshall cab more.

Any advice on setting up the Axe-FX with this equipment guys? Speaker sims off im guessing? Any special tricks or advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
it works great, yes cab sims off with the ART and on if you use home monitors to set up patch's in edit (highly recommended)

Well, dang it I just cant afford $500 plus poweramps or set of FRFR's right now, and I have a 2007 nice Marshall slant stereo 1960 cab sitting here gathering Texas dust. So I looked and found a slightly used Art SLA-2 power amp on ebay, for abt 200 bucks. I hope this wasn't a mistake, but it was in a nice price range for me and the guy has great feedback and says its mint....

I plan on adding that SLA2 to my Axe-Fx ultra rack and start utilizing the Marshall cab more.

Any advice on setting up the Axe-FX with this equipment guys? Speaker sims off im guessing? Any special tricks or advice would be appreciated.

Depending on the sim your going to be using try an EQ block at the end of the signal chain to sweeten up the end result, Oh and use your ears.

I use and Art Sla 2 and 1960 Marshall top cab and sometimes bottom as full stack. I run direct out at shows and cab is just basically my personal monitor.

Thanks guys for the advice. Ive been running the Ultra straight into my MOTU interface and using a pair of powered Mackie 824's. Im sure that the Marshall cab will sound a wee bit
different cragg... Which does bring up more questions. So Zman, if you run direct and use your Marshall cab as a monitor, did you have to find a happy medium between the PA sound versus the Marshall cab tones?
How does one send to the PA and also use a guitar cab and still get good tones into both? Can I turn the cab sims off on one output and leave them on, on another?

Thanks agn for any help....

I do the same as Zman, I matched my 1960AV with a 4x12 30W + R121 cab block followed by a low cut at about 120Hz - 150Hz, or with a Mesa RW recipe.

A the very end of my signal chain I split it feeding an effect block routed to the SLA and a cab block (+ PEQ to low cut the stock cab).

Spikey you have much the same gear as me dont tell me your motu's are 2408, I have two 2408 black lion audio modified and use black lion micro clock II. I have HR824's too! I get my sound dialed for the amp sim on my cab then I plug into my recording interface (monitoring with the hr824's) and select the rewirez that I think sounds comparable to what I hear out of my cabs and then I do a comparison check in my rehearsal room with guitar cab and going direct to some jbl eons i have for vocal pa to make sure it works good together. Not as versatile FRFR but at shows you know the crowd is going to hear studio quality guitar out of the mains far much better sound then them throwing a mic arbitrarily infront of the speaker and using the mediocre preamp on the houses mixer board. That is why i dont stress about getting a tube power amp for my axe because I would still want to go direct and not be miced.

Also same as Gira I run the sla to output 2 with the effect block before the cab sim that goes to output 1 xlr.
And my preference I dont use stereo for direct out. So only one cab mono hirez. Less hassle.

Thanks agn guys... I just utilized the XLR outs for my mixer and the other outs will be for the SLA2 inputs....

Back
Top Bottom