The Shawshank Redemption...

Shawshank is easily in my top 10, although I feel nothing will replace my beloved The Good, the Bad & The Ugly, the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and the Blues Brothers as my top 3. The director of Shawshank Redemption was of course greatly helped that unlike most of Steven Kings books it has no supernatural element. Just a prison, all the hardships that come from that and the male friendship that allows the inmates to survive as human beings. Although I still think that Raquel Welch poster realistically should have been moving in the draft that logically should have come from Andy's tunnel. And also, how on Earth did Andy manage to fix it back in place from behind? My only nitpicks with the movie. I've never seen Green Mile though. I reckon I fear its ending. As for IT, I LOVE the Tim Curry mini series, which did quite a good approximation of the book. Tim Curry does a great Pennywise, with less gore and more psychological horror and mindgames. The IT movies were nowhere near as good as there was too much emphasis on gore and CGI trickery. I still think that directors who learned their trade without CGI use it better, more sparingly, to augment where its needed. As opposed to later directors to whom its as normal as breathing. Unless you're doing a slasher movie less is more in horror. What you don't see is much scarier then what you constantly see.

Costner always plays his character in every movie the same. He is the male counterpart to Barbara Bain of Space:1999 fame. Some movies that fits, but for Robin Hood, in particular, it really, really, really, really, really doesn't. Marty Feldman as a romantic lead would be better, and he's been dead since the early '80s....
Well, lets be fair here, NO ONE watches Robin Hood to see Kevin Kostner. We all watch it to see Alan Rickman chew up the scenery.
No love for The Running Man?
Hell yeah. And took me quite some effort to get it on DVD on the 2nd hand market. Sellers seem to know its value. Of course, it seems to be a prophetic movie predicting towards where we're going. Together with Idiocracy.

@iaresee , I have a 4 year old boy, and one of the hardest parts of being a parent has been the patience I must exude, in waiting for the days when I get to show him films like Shawshank. I'm excited for you that you were able to have one of those moments.
Me too! That patience is hard. I've rushed things in the past with not great outcomes. But this time it was right. It's amazing and heartbreaking to see them grow up and become adults.

Vice versa! I've never seen Bull Durham. I cannot stand Kevin Costner haha, so I never gave it a shot, even though I completely love Revenge. But maybe that had more to do with Tony Scott at his most brutal. I'll give that a try; I think the quality of a film is always a product of its zeitgeist. You can have a director your think is trash randomly come out with a damn masterpiece; same with actors. haha.
Tony Scott=Lifetime Awesome Pass via True Romance.

Check out the Castle Rock series. Shawshank prison features in it front and center. Only a few episodes in but it’s pretty darn good so far.

Shawshank is such a great movie. Throughout my life, I've been mistaken for Clancy Brown who plays Captain Hadley. This all started when he also premiered in Bad Boys with Sean Penn.

Costner always plays his character in every movie the same. He is the male counterpart to Barbara Bain of Space:1999 fame. Some movies that fits, but for Robin Hood, in particular, it really, really, really, really, really doesn't. Marty Feldman as a romantic lead would be better, and he's been dead since the early '80s....

He's what I call an SGIEM: Same Guy In Every Movie. Marlon Brando wrote about this problem in his autobiography, pointing out one of my favorite actors, Richard Burton. It's truly an epidemic, but I don't think it's always bad: e.g., Christopher Walken: always the same = awesome. On the other hand you have Gary Oldman in the 90's: always completely different = awesome.

Well, lets be fair here, NO ONE watches Robin Hood to see Kevin Kostner. We all watch it to see Alan Rickman chew up the scenery.

Man, I did try that one when it first came out on video, but it was one of the first movies I couldn't make myself finish; I thought it was so bad at the time. With the rest of the cast, I should retry it. Alan Rickman had some really cool and interesting performances, like Mesmer (about the inventor of "mesmerism") and Closet Land.

Shawshank is such a great movie. Throughout my life, I've been mistaken for Clancy Brown who plays Captain Hadley. This all started when he also premiered in Bad Boys with Sean Penn.

You know, I always just think about him in Highlander, but he's actually really cool in this weird thriller called Blue Steel. And Yes, Bad Boys is The Greatest.

You know, I always just think about him in Highlander, but he's actually really cool in this weird thriller called Blue Steel. And Yes, Bad Boys is The Greatest.
Clancy Brown was also in a little known Rock Guitar movie called Thunder Alley from 1985... He played Weasel

220px-Thunder_Alley_poster.jpg

Funny thing I once had a guy tell me I looked like Tim Robbins... I don't see it but who am I to say?
I think Kings best(my favorite) movie was the Green Mile just edging out Shawshank... both great movies

LOL, I seldom agree with you, my fellow Dutchman, but you’re right on the mark here. What a fantastic role Alan is playing here, with all that sarcasm etc.

He's what I call an SGIEM: Same Guy In Every Movie. Marlon Brando wrote about this problem in his autobiography, pointing out one of my favorite actors, Richard Burton. It's truly an epidemic, but I don't think it's always bad: e.g., Christopher Walken: always the same = awesome. On the other hand you have Gary Oldman in the 90's: always completely different = awesome.
Thing is though, Richard Burton or Christopher Walken's same guy in every movie was awesome, whereas Kevin Costner's same guy in every movie was kinda bland if not boring. You put a limited range actor next to an acting maniac who chews up the scenery like a Langolier and he or she fades into the background. Bruce Willis is not exactly the best actor in the world, also a SGIEM, but credit where credit is due, he manages to do what Costner couldn't and hold his own next to Rickman.

LOL, I seldom agree with you, my fellow Dutchman, but you’re right on the mark here. What a fantastic role Alan is playing here, with all that sarcasm etc.
Personally I think that Alan Rickman saved that movie from mediocrity. Just like Raul Julia saved Streetfighter from going straight into the bargain video bin by reaching new heights of ham. God, those two were two great actors! The world is poorer without them.

Rickman in a little known movie: 'January Man'. I do agree he saved that abhorrent Robin Hood...although I could have done without 'And cancel Christmas'...too over the top even for that movie.

And Costner is great in certain things. Bull Durham he was fantastic. Must see. I thought he was great as Superman's dad. Also excellent in 'Hidden Figures' (highly underrated movie.)

Morgan is in my top 3 actors across time.

Side note: Most of the most 'famous' actors just play themselves. Tom Cruise doesn't make any real changes to his personality in his roles. Neither does Harrison Ford, Morgan to a certain extent, and many others. We accept that because they have that thing that's unquantifiable. And we like it.

Then we have the Daniel Day's, the Streep's and such who can inhabit a character so fully that they are virtually unrecognizable from role to role. Might even put Christian Bale in there too.

Shawshank is one of my favs...along with Goodfellas.

Lately though, I've been watching a lot of foreign films on Netflix and it's been so refreshing to get away from all the Hollywood crap.

For me, there's something lost in stories where all the ideas and actors accents are American, no matter how good the acting is. These days I'm finding movies made outside the 'Hollywood context', are far more interesting & immersive.

It's only taken me 50 years of watching Hollywood movie dominance to get to this point. No doubt though, there has been some great American movies made in my lifetime.

Last edited:
Clancy Brown was also in a little known Rock Guitar movie called Thunder Alley from 1985... He played Weasel

220px-Thunder_Alley_poster.jpg

Funny thing I once had a guy tell me I looked like Tim Robbins... I don't see it but who am I to say?
I think Kings best(my favorite) movie was the Green Mile just edging out Shawshank... both great movies

How the hell have I not heard of this? I just took a look at the director's filmography, and it is brutal. Now I have to see this! Haha!

One of my favorites!

Hell, even if the movie were garbage, the line “Get busy living or get busy dying” had a huge impact on me when I first heard it.

Lotsa great lines...
That, and a big goddamn poster.
Didn't do it. Lawyer fucked me.
Catching my drift? Or am I being obtuse?
They broke the door down before I could take requests.

Back
Top Bottom