The Secret Weapon: Transformer Match

Reading this thread (and some of its predecessors) got me thinking about creating some Jimmy Herring lead preset tones and the XFRMR MATCH section of the AxeFX manual:

XFRMR MATCH (from the manual) – "Transformer Match is an extremely powerful parameter that sets the relative output transformer primary impedance to determine how easily the power tubes are driven into clipping. Higher MASTER Volume settings result in a more pronounced effect. Increasing XFRMR MATCH causes power tubes to clip sooner. Decreasing XFRMR MATCH causes power tubes to clip later and therefore the phase inverter and grid clipping becomes more predominant. At higher settings, the resonance settings on the SPEAKER page of the AMP block will be more pronounced. For optimum results bring up the MASTER until the desired amount of power amp distortion is achieved, then adjust matching until the character of the distortion is as desired. The various LF and HF resonance parameters interact strongly with this parameter so be sure to experiment with those as well when crafting a tone."​

This got me thinking - there must be an ideal balance between power tube clipping and the phase inverter and grid clipping with Jimmy's incredible lead tones. And that got me thinking:

What exactly are the characteristics of phase inverter and grid clipping?

How do the phase inverter and grid clipping characteristics blend with the power tube clipping characteristics?

Once you get the clipping blend right what other parameters should be tweaked to get that searing Herring tone and sustain?

The answers are in the palm of your hand—and in the part of the manual you quoted. :)

What exactly are the characteristics of phase inverter and grid clipping?
Turn down XFRMR MATCH and hear the phase inverter and grid clipping come forward.

How do the phase inverter and grid clipping characteristics blend with the power tube clipping characteristics?
Play with XFRMR MATCH and see for yourself. :)

Once you get the clipping blend right what other parameters should be tweaked to get that searing Herring tone and sustain?
That's a good question but off topic. Sounds like a good candidate for a thread of its own.

I've been experimenting with this since a while. I usually turn the transformer match down slightly for a more open sound, add a good OD in front of the amp, add sag slightly, pair with a good sounding cab, add delay to taste, garnish with reverb and serve licks steaming hot: it sounds a and feels heavenly to me

Turning XFormer down to make the amp more open is just something I've done for years now. I usually set it to about .780 & it always sounds better/less congested than the default setting.

Turning XFormer down to make the amp more open is just something I've done for years now. I usually set it to about .780 & it always sounds better/less congested than the default setting.

This does WONDERS...im glad I stumbled across this.

Best comparison I can think of is...my preset no longer sounds like it has a cold.

This is one feature I use regularly - makes a ton of sense now on "why" - thank you for this insight. (I'm usually dialing back to 0.74-0.9; yesterday just happen to land on 0.747 ;) the jumbo jet value for an amp model)

Most excellent articulation of this subject matter. You can really dial in the openness of the amp while your noodling and practicing, and then over match when it is time to record, to have the track sit in the mix better. Good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom