The real thing...

Keg8605

Power User
So recently one of my bands former guitarists returned to the band. He is very well known in the cover band scene here for his ear and tones. Very u2 inspired, his step dad has produced lots of national acts in Nashville, so he's had lots of good help. He used to have a massive stereo rig. This go around he kept to his Bogner Ectasy and some nice pedals (eventides and a few select analog pedals) switched via RJM. At the first few practices I really noticed his tone sticking out nicely and he's got things dialed in very well. I found myself starting to think about picking up an amp and heading back to 4 cm.

I use a Carvin DCM 1540 and mesa 4x12 at practice myself. I have always felt something missing for the power amp cab sound but have been very pleased by the direct tone.

Fast Forward a month and we had our first show this past Saturday. I was able to connect to the x32 with my ipad. Part way into our set, I thought hmm I wonder what his tones are sounding like through the sm57 on his cab. So I turned him way up in my wedge to really hear his tones vs mine. WOW, um I guess i should not have been surprised but no way did that sound through the sm57 sound anywhere near as good as some of these ir's we have nowadays (aka my axe fx direct tone). Sure there are some variables here- grab a different mic, not eq'ed in the mixes, mic placement...etc. But for us its literally as easy as flipping through some well made ir mixes and boom you always have the same consistent good tone. So I ordered a fryette power station on Sunday, hoping that ends my search for a nice guitar cab tone.

But for us its literally as easy as flipping through some well made ir mixes and boom you always have the same consistent good tone. So I ordered a fryette power station on Sunday, hoping that ends my search for a nice guitar cab tone.

I just had this shootout with a friend of mine where his in the room amp feel was amaze-sauce, then we chose to make a similar config on the AX8 (DrZ models + IRs). We plugged it into FOH and mic'd up his amp, the tones were nearly identical yet, the FAS gear presence was greater. Glad to "hear" that you had a similar experience.

It's all perspective and use-cases really. Some of the guitarheads I talk to really want nothing to do with modelers not fully understanding that these fine machines are so much more than that. With the limited issues I have ever experienced w/ Fractal gear, everyday patrons are willing to compliment your tone not caring what you're playing through. We sometimes aim for precise confinement of tone without the perspective of realizing that it is nearly right there in front of you with very little tweaking required.

#Rambling

That does seem to be the issue. People critiquing with their eyes, guitarists focused only on 'amp in the room' sound. A lot of them don't really know much about how things sound when mic'ed up either. I was one of these people way back when... I'm just happy I stopped myself from going full circle. If I want that shrill sound I heard Saturday night, I'll find a nice 4x12 Ir shot with an sm57. Of course you can eq it on the fractal :)

Back
Top Bottom