The Raven Multi Touch Console....wut

But the guy is a bit intense :)

Haha....Steve Slate...yeah, he's intense.
He mixed my band's last album (a few years back before he moved to LA).
And our band's used to gig together.

Believe it or not, he's a great singer. Got a great raspy voice.

Back on topic: I saw that console at NAMM. Pretty cool. Not sure if it's for me, but folks who love touch screens should really like it.

It's cool, however, I imagine it creates more issues and hardware to brake-down. I have a feeling this needs to mature a bit further before its really ready for everyone.

Met Steve at his birthday party. He is intense. His gear is intense. ALL of his gear is primo and WORKS when it's released. He has some new killer studio monitors coming down the tube soon too. Heard them at the AES in NYC in Oct. The Raven and the new Monitors together are seamless. No doubt they are back ordered.

Yea Steven is a bit intense, but kinda cool, very passionate about what he does and as noted above a very decent singer himself.
I've followed the Raven project from the start, and have spoken with Steven about it a couple of times during the process, but haven't tried one yet.
I want a Raven MTi big time, but finances doesn't allow it anytime soon.
I have a lot of SS's software (FG-X, VTM, VCC, VBC, SSD 4.0 premium + CLA exp.) and just love the stuff Steven puts out.

And they do Not have any Problems with the early reflections of the touchscreen's surface? That's just like Putting a Big mirror onto your Mixing desk. I can't Imagine that someone uses this Tool for Mixing or Mastering...it's Pretty cool but IMHO Not very practicable....maybe as live Console with the PA Far away from it's surface...

And they do Not have any Problems with the early reflections of the touchscreen's surface? That's just like Putting a Big mirror onto your Mixing desk. I can't Imagine that someone uses this Tool for Mixing or Mastering...it's Pretty cool but IMHO Not very practicable....maybe as live Console with the PA Far away from it's surface...

He noted it being at a "perfect 40 degree angle" to minimiZe or eliminate reflections all together. Like everyone stated, the guy is a powerhouse and I doubt he'd push something with a problem as trivial as that

I had been toying around with trying to do something similar with off the shelf products for a while. But I'm with the others on here that say that using hardware controllers just works better for me.

There are plenty of apps out there that mimic mixers and transport controls via OSC over wifi and after giving some of them a go using a touch screen is not as fantastic in real life as it is on paper. And compared to my MCU it falls really short. Maybe I just have fat fingers, but I hit and miss a lot more than I like using touchscreens and with a fader when I grab it it's grabbed and until I move it I don't have to worry about it jumping around. There is also a lot of times where I've accidentally hit a button or grabbed the wrong fader because of proximity and the fact that you lose the tactile part.

The other thing is that I can mix levels on my MCU without using up screen real estate to display them.

I like the idea on paper and think that there is definitely a market for it and it's a great idea. I'd just recommend that people definitely give it a try in person before investing in it.

Very forward thinking company.

They made mixing in the box a serious consideration.

They did a lot of research to pick the multi-touch screen technology to give the smallest lag and best feel. But it is in its infancy. Eventually, it will be mainstream.

I have quite a few of their plugins. I think they are good for the most part but a tiny bit rough around the edges. E.g. the groove player / browser in Steven Slate Drums 4.0 doesn't remember the last location you were in the groove library. PITA when you have to drill back down every time you open the plug.

Some of the plugs cause ProTools issues now n then. But that might be a ProTools issue.

I think the sonic quality is supreme though. All the minor nits are worth using them.

Canadacomputers has a touchscreen 22" Acer monitor on sale for $199. Was thinking of trying it out on Sonar and seeing how much I liked it in a DAW set up. The only problem was, I think it really needs to be embedded into a desk (at arms reach) and my desk is full with an Akai MPD32, Keyboard, Jog Shuttle, Mouse, etc.. I just coudn't see it fitting in and I really like having the physical controls that the Akai gives me.

I wonder how well it does with general third party plugins. Like... say... the UAD stuff.

i think a lot of you "im a real knob and fader kind of guy" guys are missing the point. DAWs are here to stay, and there's nothing to inhibit you from incorporating real desks into a DAW based studio setup, but the difference here is, the DAW component is a touch screen instead of a mouse and keyboard

i think a lot of you "im a real knob and fader kind of guy" guys are missing the point. DAWs are here to stay, and there's nothing to inhibit you from incorporating real desks into a DAW based studio setup, but the difference here is, the DAW component is a touch screen instead of a mouse and keyboard

If I could choose, I would prefer something like the new Avid S6 approach. A modular hardware configuration that is fully programmable for ProTools. This is a pricey solution though. Avid | Avid S6- Modular, customizable EUCON control surface for music and post

Eventually their will probably be more hybrid approaches with a smallish number of hardware sliders / knobs / switches / meters plus a large touchscreen surface like the Raven. Somewhere between the S6 and the Raven.

Back
Top Bottom