The question mark...

A question mark at the end of a sentence indicates the sentence is an interrogative... a question. It is not used to indicate you don’t know the answer to your statement, which should end with a period.

Wrong: I’m not sure when we are supposed to arrive?
Right: What time are we supposed to arrive?

I’m not posting this in response to anyone’s specific post, so please put the flamethrowers down. If you’re typing a message, you’re using spelling, syntax, and grammar rules to communicate. You’re free to do it wrong, just as you’re free not to tune your guitar.

It’s just one educational thought thrown out to help those who would like to make use of it.

...?!?

Perhaps I should have left this alone?

:p

No, we’re having too much fun.

On a more serious note though, as a college professor of 30+ years, I have received thousands of student emails over the years. I have witnessed first-hand the death of sentence structure, spelling and grammar. As for verbal communication, if the word ‘like’ were removed from our vocabulary, the classrooms and hallways would be very quiet.

No, we’re having too much fun.

On a more serious note though, as a college professor of 30+ years, I have received thousands of student emails over the years. I have witnessed first-hand the death of sentence structure, spelling and grammar. As for verbal communication, if the word ‘like’ were removed from our vocabulary, the classrooms and hallways would be very quiet.
Having been a long time supervisor who proof-read written reports, I have been watching the same thing for years. Many fail to realize how much it reflects on you, and how others see you. Like it or not, the effect is there and it can keep you from getting to places you want to be.

I know this is a forum, and the "rules" don't apply here like they do in other circumstances or situations. But I've also found that when I let myself go in one place, it inevitably shows up in another. I'd just rather not.

Of course, that's just me. YMMV, as they say. :)

Having been a long time supervisor who proof-read written reports, I have been watching the same thing for years. Many fail to realize how much it reflects on you, and how others see you. Like it or not, the effect is there and it can keep you from getting to places you want to be.

I know this is a forum, and the "rules" don't apply here like they do in other circumstances or situations. But I've also found that when I let myself go in one place, it inevitably shows up in another. I'd just rather not.

Of course, that's just me. YMMV, as they say. :)

Moderator joke:

I REALLY had to fight an impulse to edit your post and add grammatical and spelling errors...

Hey, we Mods need to get our kicks SOMEHOW occasionally!

And YES, this thread is for fun. A welcome addition from recent melee's over minutia.

Years ago, I was the assistant to the Executive Administrative Assistant in a company I worked for.

I often had copy machine duty, making dozens or sometimes hundreds of copies of various business docs.

Since I had nothing better to do while making the copies, I would often read through the documents.

After several occurrences of me bringing back several completed copy sets and mentioning that I had found spelling and/or grammar errors she finally thanked me and said, "in the future, would you please proof-read them first and then bring them to me before copying?" : D

Moderator joke:

I REALLY had to fight an impulse to edit your post and add grammatical and spelling errors...

Hey, we Mods need to get our kicks SOMEHOW occasionally!

And YES, this thread is for fun. A welcome addition from recent melee's over minutia.
We're now serving meals for militia. or is it...? I'm all confused now.

I've made a living from the written word in one way or another for 30+ years, and I commiserate with the comments lamenting the death of good Englishing. It seems to get worse every day. I've reluctantly given up on trying to correct grammar and spelling in professional correspondence and on the Internet, but ambiguity is the one that drives me nuts. And being vague is as annoying as that other thing,

I do appreciate the fact that this forum has a decently-high percentage of people who can write clearly.

And @Rick, I have a few spares of these, so you can have this one:

grammar%2Bpolice%2Bbadge.jpg

Grade 7

Student: "Sir, can I go to the bathroom?".

Teacher: "Of course you can, but not here!"

Student: "Sir, may I go to the bathroom?"

Teacher: "Yes."

Back
Top Bottom