The problem I have with firmware 11 is that

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
.... e-ve-ry-thing sounds so good.

I have a personal "rule" that I use 20 preset slots max. for dialed-in amp sims. Self-constraint...
Well, I'm running out. Heck, I even like the Diezel and Bassman now, and the Marsha suddenly has become easy to dial in. Good job.

Aye, it is pretty awesome now. In fact, it's actually making me think how better the G2 modelling might sound.

The precision is there in the low end that I sorta missed from my high gain amps, and the chimeyness is there from the Fenders now. Hell, even my Vox AC30 has been finally authentically replaced!

Always did like the VH4 though.....

I REALLY hope the Diezel is a top notch sim in the Axll, I pretty much hated it in my ultra (didn't have chance to try it with 11 but it sold)

I have the luxury of having no music projects for the foreseeable future (well, not a luxury really - Psoriatic Arthritis is the limiting factor here). This means I can spend as much time as I want playing with the Ultra. The timing couldn't be better actually. Learning my way around inside this thing keeps a guitar in my hands for longer than I'm able to tolerate playing. Since the Axe-FX arrived I've gone from playing 30 minutes a week to 1 hour per day by. I spread that time out in short bits of time while tweaking the Axe-FX at first and have gradually built enough tolerance to play for a full hour uninterrupted. I just stop when I start flinching to avoid building bad habits.

V11.0 sounds really great! I've been going through amps I'd dismissed early on and now really digging them. If there's one problem I have with v11.0 it's that it interferes with my tweaking. I just want to play. ...Ok, that's not a problem.... I don't have a problem with v11.0 I guess. Carry on.

I'm amazed with the improvements in all the amps I use. The SLO 100 is even sweeter than before and the FAS Modern is way nicer as well.

+1 on the V11 sounding great! I wasn't sure at first with the Plexi 1, which is what I normally use. I just had to take a different approach. If you haven't done this, try it! Studio compressor in front of the amp, about 4:1 ratio, and set the filter at 1kHZ. I think the amp gain is 3 point something, master volume at 9 ish (which is way higher than I would have gone prior to V11). For speakers I'm using a combo of the 25w and the 6 by 9 (the oval one, whatever size that is) with SM57s (which I couldn't stand before V11). Then I boost the mids around 1.9kHZ. The cool thing is what the compressor filter does for it, essentially only triggering from 1k and up. I'm going to try the side chain option next with an eq driving it. Anyone else do that?

I don't want to be a downer, but didn't the new firmware simply update part of the powersim? What exactly about that would make the amp sims/cab models sound noticeably better?

I don't want to be a downer, but didn't the new firmware simply update part of the powersim? What exactly about that would make the amp sims/cab models sound noticeably better?
The powersim is part of the amp sim. Improve the one, and you've improved the other. I haven't heard anyone mention a change in the cab sims.

Really? It's all part of the circuit. Just because you don't overhaul the entire thing doesn't mean there can't be an improvement.

With the lower end tightened up the high end is clearer. At least to my ears. I was playing with just amp/cab patches tonight and there is a difference in the low end. Things just work better with less EQ'ing.

Are the changes more noticeable with monitors/FRFR as opposed to PA/guitar cab? I did the upgrade then had to double check that it showed the 11.0 firmware when I didn't really sense much difference. I've heard such great things, especially from the "power users", so I know something cool happened, unfortunately I think I'm missing it because of my current set-up.

Are the changes more noticeable with monitors/FRFR as opposed to PA/guitar cab? I did the upgrade then had to double check that it showed the 11.0 firmware when I didn't really sense much difference. I've heard such great things, especially from the "power users", so I know something cool happened, unfortunately I think I'm missing it because of my current set-up.

If you have power amp bypassed globally (essentially using the Axe-FX as a preamp) then I doubt there would be much, if any, discernible difference as v11.0 is an overhaul of the power amp portion of the simulation. Even if the power amp sim is in your signal chain the difference is likely to be far more subtle going through a guitar power amp and guitar cab.

I use Ultra (w/power amp on) ---> VHT 2502 ---> Rivera 2x12 (EVM12L's)
I went through some of my naked amps presets yesterday, and I'm hearing an improvement with v11.0.
As a lot of other users I feel the top is a bit smoother (less spiky) and the bass response more focused.

Overall it brought a big smile on my face , so thank you once again Cliff!!

Now I have to start saving up cash, so that one day I can buy the Axe-Fx II and take full advantage of the G2 improvements......

Per

I'm using guitar cabs, with PA sims on, and I don't hear a huge difference. To me, it sounds like some bass has been removed (cut) from the PA sim, and some EQ to the highs. I actually had it EQ'd to sound better with the previous firmware version. After adjusting the PEQ settings, I'm basically back to where I was.

.... e-ve-ry-thing sounds so good.

I have a personal "rule" that I use 20 preset slots max. for dialed-in amp sims. Self-constraint...
Well, I'm running out. Heck, I even like the Diezel and Bassman now, and the Marsha suddenly has become easy to dial in. Good job.

+1 - I rediscovered Dumble OD SP last night; my approach has also changed, now I find myself resetting all parameters back to the defaults because it just sounds that good! ;)

Aye, it is pretty awesome now. In fact, it's actually making me think how better the G2 modelling might sound.

For me, the hardware feature set (USB), and user IRs may be worth upgrading for.. but I'm having a bit of a problem wrapping my head around: can G2 really sound THAT much better?

The precision is there in the low end that I sorta missed from my high gain amps, and the chimeyness is there from the Fenders now. Hell, even my Vox AC30 has been finally authentically replaced!

+1 on the AC30 - it might be finally replacing my go-to clean to crunch patch

+1 - I rediscovered Dumble OD SP last night; my approach has also changed, now I find myself resetting all parameters back to the defaults because it just sounds that good! ;)

Yup, just added a new one I could play all day long. :)

JCM800, Master 7.5, Drive 4.5, Bass 2, everything else at default.
Put a Tape Drive in front of it (Drive 5, Level 10, HV Tube).
JCM2000 and Cali cabs.

Single coils .... Rawwwwwk!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom