The power of the grid: The Mixer

Patzag

Fractal Fanatic
I was testing a way for another user to have two rigs on a single grid without using the multiplexer so I delved into another block which is actually both simple and powerful: The Mixer.

Using it to route signal between alternate paths or mix various effects in parallel is quite something. And because each of the inputs (6 rows, 6 inputs) can be controlled both in gain and pan, the options are amazing.

It solves the Wah/Formant/Whammy use of a single pedal (Use a control switch to toggle between 2 or scenes to switch from one path to another).
It allows beautiful crossfades between amp paths.
You can use it to choose between modulation effects or stack them in parallel.
You can mix reverbs and control the mix live with an expression pedal.
Control Delay/Reverb mix with a single expression pedal.
The sky's the limit.

I will post a separate wishlist item, file for the multiplexer, there should be 6 channels for this block to allow full independent control of the 6 inputs. Otherwise, it really opens up a lot of possibilities.

The mixer is preset awesome but not a great solution where you have DIFFERENT time based effects on each rig. That was one of my first attempts

The mixer is preset awesome but not a great solution where you have DIFFERENT time based effects on each rig. That was one of my first attempts
You are right. For that particular usage, the solution is VOLUME BLOCKS. You can have various volume blocks controlled by the same controller giving you options to keep the paths completely separate and still be able to cross fade from one path to the other.
Between scenes/channels and controllers (Control Switches, Pedals, etc.) you can get 2 or three rigs (if you can do without a third amp block) going at once.
Your idea of an A/B/Y block is awesome. That and/or a reverse mixer (splitter with variable gains) would be more elegant. But there's nothing can't be done now with the tools we have.

The mixer was my good buddy in the Axe-Fx II but I've been able to replace everything I did with the mixer block with the MUX in the III. We'll always be pals though, me and the mixer.

Back
Top Bottom