1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

The Power of Pre-EQ

Discussion in 'Tech Notes' started by FractalAudio, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Chiguete

Chiguete
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

So I just tried this with the new Plexi 2204 and it was just what I needed to add to get the tone I was looking for!!!

catscanman82 and guitarfreak365 like this.
  2. #82 gigawatt, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    gigawatt

gigawatt
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I'm guessing Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio are in on this conspiracy, the reason most if not all but Mesa and Dumble do not have pre gain EQ's. It's either a pay off or a snyper at the ready, waiting to be sure a monkey wrench goes into any idea of an amp maker getting any ideas of creating and mass producing an amp with pre-gain EQ. Otherwise they'd become obsolete once folks figure out they can recreate their favorite pickups by twisting a few knobs. ;) I'm on the fence with pre EQ, sometimes I use it sometimes not. Like if a guitar is putting out flubby bass I'll use pre EQ to get rid of it, same goes for taming shrill highs. Boosting mids is also a good way of pushing an amp that doesn't have much gain over the top. To me though, adding too much EQ kind of spoils the relationship between guitar-pickups-pots-cable-amp-cable-speakers, and the characteristics your nice maple and mahogany tonewoods and expensive pickups become trivial. o_O

Just my two cents, I'm not saying one way is better than the other, do what sounds good to you. After all, we are all individuals and hear things differently than one another. Music would be boring if we all sounded the same. Unless you sound like me, the most interesting man in the world. :p

:)

dr bonkers likes this.
  3. Moeed Kazi

Moeed Kazi
    Expand Collapse
    New here

Thanks for the detailed information, do we have a list where we can see which amps (fractal Axe fx) have pre eq and which have post gain eqs, like how you mentioned regarding mesa where tone stack is before gain stage. This I am sure will help us all. Thanks.

4. 80sMetalDude

80sMetalDude
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Do most of these recommendations now fall into the Input EQ page of the Amp block on AXE3?

Gebella likes this.
  5. Rex

Rex
    Expand Collapse
    Legend!

Yes. That’s what it’s there for.

80sMetalDude and sskkmm like this.
  6. Chad Beattie

Chad Beattie
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Question on this. I was reading this thread today and tried Cliff's settings. Wow, I can't believe I missed this before. Makes a huge difference in sound! Especially driving the output level of the filter block up a bit. Which leads to my question...

If I do the EQ settings in the Amp Input EQ section instead of a Filter block. What else is needed to achieve what the Filter block level was doing? Or do you still need a filter block just for that?

7. Rex

Rex
    Expand Collapse
    Legend!

If you just want to drive the amp harder across the spectrum, user the Input Trim parameter in the Amp block.