The Pop Tart thread

biggness

Power User
Kemper Profiling Amp...an update. Some are favoring over the AxeFx...

Just got off the phone with a very well known engineer/producer in the metal world.

He, and another very well known engineer/producer have been able to get Kemper amps. They're not shipping to the masses for a few more weeks.

They've sold their AxeFX's out of the studio in favor of the Kemper.

I can't disclose their names, because I don't want to bring any kind of poopoo storm without permission, but these guys, IMO, are two of the biggest names in modern metal production. Maybe they've already mentioned it elsewhere, I dunno.

I cannot wait to get my eval unit. I don't care how ugly it is. Even if it doesn't sound better than the AxeFX, it's obviously in a similar ballpark if these guys are favoring it. FWIW, they bought them at an accom price, Kemper didn't give them away...so this isn't a whore endorsement-fueled opinion.

What's really intriguing to me, beyond the stock modeling capabilities, is the ability to "sample" an amp...per my bro this morning, it's some wild voodoo, and the amp clones when sampled sound unbelievable.

Apparently the future of modelers will look like '50's medical equipment, but it's evidently unbelievable!....and cheaper than a snax, at $1850.

ProfilingAmp-xlarge.jpg

1600-ProfilingAmp_detail1.jpg

Attachments

• ProfilingAmp-xlarge.jpg
    ProfilingAmp-xlarge.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 17
Great marketing piece. I like how, cough, cough, subtle it is too. Please keep #$%^ this at HC where it belongs.
The signal/noise ratio of this forum is a lot better than there.

How do you figure it is a marketing piece? The guy that started that thread is a really cool dude that doesn't do that type of stuff just to sell stuff.

Indeed... it is just gear. I am just curious to read more about it. It is a very neat thing from what I am reading. Still though, it would seem the Axe-Fx might do all that I need and more... and the customer service and all is really important. So... I am not saying I am jumping ship before I even come aboard.

Seriously? You expect me to know what goes on at HC and click the link? Are you high?
The signal to noise ratio is so beyond bad there you'd have to pay me to visit that site.
I was an member of that place years ago back before there was a line6, and left a long time ago as the place went to total garbage.

The bottom line is the quote is a yet another content free, fact free piece of speculation based on some guy who isn't here.
Its useless flame bait, likely to start a flame fest, nothing more insightful.

If we wanted that WE'D GO TO HC. Cross posting noise is not helping.

Seriously? You expect me to know what goes on at HC and click the link? Are you high?
The signal to noise ratio is so beyond bad there you'd have to pay me to visit that site.
I was an member of that place years ago back before there was a line6, and left a long time ago as the place went to total garbage.

The bottom line is the quote is a yet another content free, fact free piece of speculation based on some guy who isn't here.
Its useless flame bait, likely to start a flame fest, nothing more insightful.

If we wanted that WE'D GO TO HC. Cross posting noise is not helping.

It is obvious that you are an angry person, so I will steer clear of you.

My biggest issue with the Kemper is the internet shill factor. The thing was announced nearly 12 months ago and we've had about 10 months of ecstatic folks telling us how great it was...without the device actually being available for purchase. A lot of the way that the pre-release hype has been handled doesn't pass the sniff test IMO. It may be a great piece of kit but I don't think I care to deal with a company that inundates my cyber-world with months of guerrilla marketing while they can't seem to hit their own deadlines for release.

Dude Seriously ?!? Until the "nameless" people are willing to be named, I'm not even interested .... Frankly I'm quite skeptical ..., I'm reminded of the old phrase ....

FIGURES LIE AND LIARS FIGURE ....

If all you can do is quote unnammed sources, go get a job in journalism ....

Especially since the latest V4.01 .... My hearing isn't usually that sensitive, but this time I really hear ( and feel ) the improvement in the power amp modeling ....

And there are guys on TGP that play metal that sold their KPA because they say it sucks for doing metal.

It's just gear.

My biggest issue with the Kemper is the internet shill factor. The thing was announced nearly 12 months ago and we've had about 10 months of ecstatic folks telling us how great it was...without the device actually being available for purchase. A lot of the way that the pre-release hype has been handled doesn't pass the sniff test IMO. It may be a great piece of kit but I don't think I care to deal with a company that inundates my cyber-world with months of guerrilla marketing while they can't seem to hit their own deadlines for release.

Something doesn't add up here.

The Kemper will have its fans. The AxeFx will have its fans. Currently the Axe has a distinct advantage as it is not challenged in the FX department (number, type, routing possibilities, etc.), and though it may take more knowledge and programming to get some of the amp sounds just right, it does represent a complete all-in-one package (2 rack spaces tall), especially for live use. It also clearly is designed to inspire creativity. To me the Kemper is more or less a functional tool, designed primarily to give the user a practical way to obtain the predictable and portable use of existing amp sounds, with some token effects thrown in the mix for basic icing on the cake.

As Scott said, it is all just equipment and audio tools. But for me, personally, the AxeFx goes one step beyond and scratches my creative funny bone in a way that the Kemper would not. But I can see how in the recording studio where "time is money" rules the day, and a producer wants "that sound" right away with as little programming downtime as possible, the Kemper would have value. Seriously, though, I doubt I'd ever seriously consider carting that Kemper monstrosity out in the road. It seems unnecessarily "tall". Instantly recognizable, yes, but that housing design is far from practical IMO.

Also, the Kemper has not yet been put under the microscope in the manner that the AxeFx has, since there is no vast user base created yet to critique its strengths and weaknesses. As with any new piece of gear, you can find blind rump swabs who will hand out glowing reviews. But if/when the general public is able to go hands-on with the Kemper, then we'll have a better grip on what it really is.

As others have mentioned, I find the regular "bait" posts of KPA "pushers" here on the Fractal forum to be in poor taste. It would be different if the KPA were made available to the market since its debut, and these posts were made by truly dispassionate 3rd party users, but as of yet we only have "insiders" coming to this forum and pissing on the parade. It's just not cool IMO, and very, very obvious. I agree - this does not speak well of Kemper.

Go your own way, make your own bones, and be comfortable with the strengths of your own product based on your own generated user base.

R.D.

in the totally unrelated file -
Forgive me if I've said this before but Oconomowoc, Wisconsin is one of my favorite places on earth!
Some of the nicest people I ever lived around. If my life allowed it and I could take even worse winters than Boston, MA. I'd move there.

-P

As others have mentioned, I find the regular "bait" posts of KPA "pushers" here on the Fractal forum to be in poor taste. It would be different if the KPA were made available to the market since its debut, and these posts were made by truly dispassionate 3rd party users, but as of yet we only have "insiders" coming to this forum and pissing on the parade. It's just not cool IMO, and very, very obvious. I agree - this does not speak well of Kemper.

Go your own way, make your own bones, and be comfortable with the strengths of your own product based on your own generated user base.

Really?... people on the warpath on FAS and not even a release of a Kemper product?? Really??... and comments based on hearsay??? really-really?? He said, she said... what is that word I'm looking for???... Oh Yeah,... propaganda...

Last edited:
The Kemper will have it's place in some studios with amp collections I suppose, looks like shit though.

However I am getting bored with the thing being posted on this forum. Especially the way it is done by the OP in this case.

How can it be taking over when you can't buy the thing and based on the supposed words of a couple of studios.

This is a fractal forum...go post yer irrelevant plap elsewhere...HC would be a logical place.:roll

Something doesn't add up here.

Actually it does, i know 2 guys who have sold the Kemper, both beta testers

The first guy enjoyed it for a while, then went with his tubes, the second (within the last few days) felt it didn't do metal like he wanted.

There is no "Kemper take over" (that was a stupid thread title on your part by the way) just as there is no "Ax take over" of tubes, L6 ext, it is just another product on the market.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom