The Pi Fuzz

iaresee

Administrator
The new Si diode clipping in 5.01 is really excellent. Some drive models I've struggled to get right with are now trivially easy to pull wonderful sounds out from. The Pi Fuzz has never done it for me. Not since my Standard days. I've kept my personal Pi clone that I've lovingly tuned over the years around and used that in to the front of my Fractal boxes when I've needed Muff-style fuzz.

I'm ready to retire the outboard box now.

The dynamics when you roll through your volume are wonderful. At each stop along the volume knob the clipping gets more square wave-ish and extreme and changes the nature of what you're hearing in significant ways. I start out on ~2 on my volume knob in this clip and just roll through on up to 10:

Mmmmmmmmmm.

And what come-of-age-in-the-90s kind of person would I be if I didn't take a swing at some Smashing Pumpkins with this fuzz? A terrible person, that's what I'd be. So I swung. I'll preface this with: even the Pumpkins struggle to reproduce the 10,000-tracks-of-guitar sound that made up the tones on Siamese Dream. They try pretty hard with JPM pres in to crazy hi-fi power amps live to do it and it's never as huge as all that Butch Vig f!@#$ery that makes that wall-of-fuzz sound on that album.

But I'm pretty happy with these results:

Preset: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=4917

Last edited:
That is a really fantastic SP tone from the Pi. I used to own a late v4 and v5 op-amp muff and just never played enough 90's era stuff to justify so much money tied up in them so Ebay'd them a few years ago. Tried some of the less expensive op-amp clones and nothing really got the right grind with muffiness. Your clip comes really, really close to the tone

Would you be willing to share the patch ? I'd love to see how you dialed in the drive block

That is a really fantastic SP tone from the Pi. I used to own a late v4 and v5 op-amp muff and just never played enough 90's era stuff to justify so much money tied up in them so Ebay'd them a few years ago. Tried some of the less expensive op-amp clones and nothing really got the right grind with muffiness. Your clip comes really, really close to the tone

Would you be willing to share the patch ? I'd love to see how you dialed in the drive block
Here you go: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=4917

Note that the Axe-Change says it for Q4.xx -- I've let the maintainers know we need a Q5.xx version tag for Axe-Change. Once that's available I'll update the post. Rest assured the preset is for Q5.xx. It's an XL+ preset. Use FracTool to convert it to whatever other device you like. It'll fit in an AX8 no problems at all.

This drive block has really come into its own, sounding the equal to some great hardware pedals that it previously didn't quite measure up to

Now we just need to wait for some extra love on other fuzz boxes, and my entire guitar rig could be 100% "in the box"

Back
Top Bottom