The PERFECT Gig

piofusco

Inspired
I have finally experienced what everyone on the forum talks about - a gig where my guitar tone matched that of what I hear at home. Finally, I was able to only worry about my performance than equipment related issues!

Word to the wise - "the sound guy is always your best friend." - Whether you like it or not, it is in your best interested to befriend this person. Last night when setting up (we opened for Moon Taxi in Auburn) I started hauling my gear on stage. One of the techs asked what amp I was using, I told him I had a small Fender tube amp for stage volume BUT that I could run a line out from my Axe II.

"A line out, huh? Well...we can try that I guess." :D

I fed output 1 to my amp, setting the level to my liking. Output 2 to the FOH at 9 o'clock to start with. Last fall, I had a show where all my patches clipped, so the sound guy MADE me play through a mic'd cab on deck (After all the time I put into my patches, I was crushed that none of my work paid off). I figured if it clipped, I had tons of room to move it up. I start playing through my patches when the sound guy turns me on in the FOH...

Eddie-Van-Halen.jpg

(the "oh" face" - PLEASE NOTE: I am not Van Halen)

Do my ears deceive me? Is that my tone or some backing track playing? IT SOUNDS HUGE! (Just like it did at home).

I had passed the test. Since that awful experience in the fall, I spent tons of time playing a gig volume and through recording monitors. My studying and attention to detail paid off!

Credits to Scott Peterson and Chris @KatsuKuriMedia!

Last edited:
Once you have a good gig with direct-to-FOH/FRFR it is/was indeed (at least for me) a watershed moment. It transcended all the worry/debate/fear and allows you to nail your 'thing' every single time you plug in your rig. Any room, any gig, any time.

Is that a pic from the show?

I guess I should edit the caption beneath it as not to confuse people, yet...I doubt Van Halen has ever even heard of/been to Auburn, Alabama.

Now all I need is my CLR. Glad I can focus on what is important now - playing music.

Can't even imagine what V10 means honestly - how could things get....better?

Back
Top Bottom