The old bank account took a punch...

ztevie

Experienced
...but next week I will also own a Axe Fx II!

With experience from various Pods, I was pleasantly surprised by the Eleven Rack which was considerably better than Pod X3. However, GAS slowly built and my curisosity took the upper hand: Will the Axe Fx II be a equal major step up from the Eleven? I think, and hope so... I will keep the Eleven for a while so I can A/B the two.
Looked at Kemper also, but the lack of USB connectivity finally pushed me in the Fractal direction. Plus Axe has been around so much longer, so I felt that baby diseases should be cured.

So I will start to prepare, maybe RTFM and download Axe Edit to look at it, if that's posssible to install without the Axe connected?
Anyway, very excited right now. This is the biggest investment I've done regarding guitar gear, so it better be good!!:razz

AFX2 > The competition.

Firmware 6.0 alone, no let me say it again..

Firmware 5.0 alone was worth buying the AFX2 over the competition.

The ULTRA is better than the competition.

AFX2 with 6.0 blows the competition of off the stratosphere.

Have fun with your new book end (11R), you'll never play it again. :)

Used the Eleven Rack first myself, as did some others here (Dave Wallimann comes to mind). It's a great instrument for the price, and I don't have a bad thing to say about it. The best thing I can say though is that it got me just far enough away from my tube amps to give the Axe Fx a shot. I think you'll experience the same thing we did once you compare. Eleven Rack is nice, but the Axe Fx is a whole 'nother animal. What it does as a complete guitar, FX, recording sound interface, tone matching rig is something you have to experience first hand to really understand. I don't have, nor have I personally heard, a Kemper so I don't have much to say there (except that the form factor is a bit odd, just looking at it).

I went Ultra -> 11R -> AxeFXII. After being on the waiting list for the II for so long the 11R kind of grew on me a bit. But even more than that I found that I just had much more time for a lot of other things in life, i.e., I just didn't enjoy playing as much and I kind of got away from it. I got the II thinking that if I could find a few presets on the 11R that could hang with it that I'd flip it on e-Bay and make a few hundred bucks. I had spent about 4 months dialing in these 11R patches to absolute perfection and like others have said, its not a bad piece of gear and I have modest needs.

So before I plug into the II, I take the 11R with my best of the best patches and wail away for about 20 minutes. I don't even rack mount the II, I just plug in and after about 5 minutes with the first factory preset I knew that rather than make a few hundred bucks off of this thing on e-Bay that the 11R was never going to be turned back on.

It's a whole 'nother animal is a great way to describe it. Its kind of like a Gibson vs an Epiphone type of deal, you can do a lot of great things on an Epiphone and play the crap out of it and be happy as hell with it, but if you get a hold of a good Gibson you can feel the difference and you will be wanting one.

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I think it's a nice idea to read up on some stuff while its shipping here. I've understood that tweaking this machine need some effort to get the best possible result due to the many settings that can be adjusted.

I agree the Eleven is really great and can achieve very nice tones. A big downside for me though, is the fact you're basically forced to install Pro Tools. Well, to use the editor and upload/download presets anyway... I have some minor issues with Pro Tools and would really like to go back to Cubase. Although I've been peeking towards Studio One lately. Looks interesting.

You'll see more of me in here once I get my hands on the Axe!

It works great with Studio One on my Win7 64 bit machine. I'm a big fan of Studio One these days although I am just a hobbyist.

I'm ordering my Axe FxII this weekend. I got my coupon in Nov but I finally have enough money saved up. Until now I have been using a Line 6 Spider3 amp. I briefly had an Ultra last year which I sold to get the AXE II but I ran out of money so I had to stick with my Spider3.

I hope and expect the AxeFXII to whoop my ass when I get it. :)

Its kind of like a Gibson vs an Epiphone type of deal, you can do a lot of great things on an Epiphone and play the crap out of it and be happy as hell with it, but if you get a hold of a good Gibson you can feel the difference and you will be wanting one.
Precisely, exactly what I experienced...

It works great with Studio One on my Win7 64 bit machine. I'm a big fan of Studio One these days although I am just a hobbyist.

+1 on shasha's comment. Studio One (which I came into contact with after purchasing the awesome Presonsus StudioLive 24.4) is pretty cool, and is being used by a few major hitters these days. I also hear there is now a free version if you want to just try it out. It's hard to beat free!

Yeah, I also went from the Eleven Rack to Axe Fx II and I agree with the other comments. It really is a better beast, no doubt.
But I only have one problem with the Axe Fx II and that is as an audio interface ( usb) with win 7 64 bit it has problems ( crackles , clicks) with Sonar X1 that didn't happen with Eleven Rack. I am posting these on other threads here and have had some great suggestion ( thanks).
Don't know anything about Studio One, maybe better?

congrats. Still waiting to get off the wait list so I can invest in one. I may have to take a loan but My GAS is killin me.

Back
Top Bottom