The new MATRIX GT800FX. THE amp for THE Axe-Fx

Finally hooked mine up today and connected my 4x12 cabs to "A" & "B" and loved the clarity! Very loud with my Axe2. All this time I've been very unhappy with my Carvin DCM1000 but now am able to finally smile when playing through the Matrix.

Finally hooked mine up today and connected my 4x12 cabs to "A" & "B" and loved the clarity! Very loud with my Axe2. All this time I've been very unhappy with my Carvin DCM1000 but now am able to finally smile when playing through the Matrix.

Standard general purpose solid state amps just dont seem to have the tubey mojo that the GT800
has. With Paul's EQ tweaks you don't hear tubes missing from the chain. Yet it retains most of the clarity common to S/S amps. Just no hard edges and metallic-y overtones. Matrix really hit paydirt with this amp. I wish more people could hear it for themselves.

Last edited:
Matrix really hit paydirt with this amp.
I wish more people could hear it for themselves.

I just wish they would reply to emails!! I emailed them a week ago regarding info (before I purchase) and I still haven't heard back :(

I just wish they would reply to emails!! I emailed them a week ago regarding info (before I purchase) and I still haven't heard back :(

I don't think I bothered contacting them about anything beforehand, but when I ordered mine I got quick responses from them. I had an easier time getting my GT800FX than I am currently having trying to get some other stuff from just interstate. :lol

Maybe try again. If you've got another email address, maybe try that... maybe they have problems with stuff going in their junk mail?

Dear Raz, sorry that I have missed your email. I try to reply to everybody within a few hours or less, so can only apologise for not getting back to you. Please email your phone number to matt@matrixamplification.com and I shall phone you at a convenient time for yourself.
My sincere apologies.
Matt.

Standard general purpose solid state amps just dont seem to have the tubey mojo that the GT800 has.
With Paul's EQ tweaks you don't hear tubes missing from the chain. Yet it retains most of the clarity common
to S/S amps. Just no hard edges and metallic-y overtones. Matrix really hit paydirt with this amp.
I wish more people could hear it for themselves.
Paul's EQ tweaks? Where can I find info on that... thanks smilefan.
Ken

One thing I wish the Matrix had is detented and recessible volume controls like the Art and other power amps. That way I can set the max power level for a given input level. That way I can minimize the risk of blowing out my speakers.

Dear Raz, sorry that I have missed your email. I try to reply to everybody within a few hours or less, so can only apologise for not getting back to you. Please email your phone number to matt@matrixamplification.com and I shall phone you at a convenient time for yourself.
My sincere apologies.
Matt.

Hey Matt

I am in Australia so that could be an expensive phone call :) I'll just resend the email to your address. Thanks for the reply!

Cheers
Gavin

Yeah but how loud is the fan noise?
j/k 8)

some. Its not that intrusive. its more than the Art SLA, but less than the VHT Power amps 9roughly half way between the two0.

its a high power amp, build primarily for live use. if your using it as intended then your not going to hear the noise over the guitar. OK, in a bedroom, an whisper volumes you will notice it if you really listen, over quiet playing - but less than tube power amps.

One thing I wish the Matrix had is detented and recessible volume controls like the Art and other power amps. That way I can set the max power level for a given input level. That way I can minimize the risk of blowing out my speakers.

Its still do-able. I set the Matrix to maximum, and the Axe Front panel output level to maximum as well, then adjust the gain level in the global out downwards - so that when everything "easily accessible" is at max my speakers are safe.

Its still do-able. I set the Matrix to maximum, and the Axe Front panel output level to maximum as well, then adjust the gain level in the global out downwards - so that when everything "easily accessible" is at max my speakers are safe.

That is a good workaround. I'd still prefer the amp hardware solution just in case of a pop, firmware update, or reset.

Quick shout out to Matt at Matrix for awesome service! GT800FX paid for and soon to be on it's way to Australia!!

Back
Top Bottom