The new MATRIX GT800FX. THE amp for THE Axe-Fx

Been tweaking Yeks presets with the Ownhammer IRs (thanks dude), the Matrix and a passive Atomic Cab.
Seriously I'm in tone heaven. I'm selling all my tube gear.
Will probably pull the trigger on another Passive Cab despite believing I will be able to stand against a loud drummer and bassist with just one.

Last edited:
I've had 3 full days demong the new Axe II with my Matrix GT800, and....
WOW!! I thought I was going to be burning a candle for my old VHT 2/90/2
(which Forum member Iggy Pop now owns), but nope. Don't miss it at all.
Paul predicted I wouldn't miss tubes at all once I acclimated to the Matrix,
and he was right.

Using his EQ tweaks at the recommended frequencies I simply cant tell my
VHT is no longer in the chain. You Matrix users are going to freak when you get
your II's. So crisp and clean, yet fat and juicy in the mids. Ultras are great,
but II's are a step up in realism once you get them tweaked for your system.
My Matrix sounds stunning with the II, and insanely loud (400W per side
thru my two 4 ohm cabs).

Last edited:
Reactions: ang
My custom TT cab (highly recommend TT cabs) with EVM12L & matching 3U rack arrived today, with the Ax II and Matrix all fitted and hooked up it sounds and looks phenomenal!!

I honestly could not be happier with anything more!! :)

I will post pics when i get a better camera than my crappy iPhone!!

My 3U rack. All packed up, it slings over
my shoulder at around 20 lbs. Now I can
carry my rig thru airports with ease. I needed
that!

AxeIICase087.jpg

AxeIICase092.jpg

How much US $? I emailed Tone Merchants a couple of weeks ago and got no response.

IIRC the guys at Matrix said TM's price would be $695. Not sure why TM are harming their usually excellent customer service by doing this. The units are all at Matrix and waiting to be shipped. It may be worth an email to the Matt at Matrix if waiting for TM is not an option.

Hey Guys

I am a new Ultra owner and was after some info on the volume of the GT800fx. I will be running my Ultra through a 4x12 cab with V30's and was looking at the Matrix. I dig the sound clips I have heard, my only concern is it loud enough to keep up with a drummer (and a really loud one at that lol)
Cheers in advance
Gavin

Hey Guys

I am a new Ultra owner and was after some info on the volume of the GT800fx. I will be running my Ultra through a 4x12 cab with V30's and was looking at the Matrix. I dig the sound clips I have heard, my only concern is it loud enough to keep up with a drummer (and a really loud one at that lol)
Cheers in advance
Gavin

Less than no problem at all. You can bury even the most brutal Neanderthal man of a drummer
with a GT800 into some reasonably efficient speakers.

Less than no problem at all. You can bury even the most brutal Neanderthal man of a drummer
with a GT800 into some reasonably efficient speakers.

Hey thanks for the reply! The cab is a 412 with Vintage 30's so I assume all is good!

Well, my Atomic passive wedge turned up today, so I finally got to fire up the GT800FX. Got home from work, quickly hooked it all up to test and do some minor patch adjustment to get it sounding reasonable, then straight off to practice to put it to use. Sound wasn't perfect (mind you, we practice in a horrible sounding room), but I was happy with it nonetheless. Will definitely keep up with the band volume-wise (Axe output was maybe 2 o'clock, GT800FX wasn't even at half), and I think once I spend some time with the new set up the sound will be a lot better. :)

Now I'm just waiting for my MFC to turn up, as well as my new rack and pedal board/case.

Well, For US customers, Tone Merchants have a demo unit but no stock. They have taken some pre-orders though. Matrix havent had an order from them yet so dont know how many they will have, however there are some earmarked for them with more being built so as soon as TM actually order them from Matrix it wikll take 5 days to get to them (inc import, customs etc). its in TMs court as to when they actually place the order, so if you want one bug them :)

Mark Day has one at limelight as well for anyone in Canada who wants to try one (hes issued an open invitation on Rig talk). he really likes it apparently and is doing a Demo Vid of the Axe/Matrix combo.

Just received mine today but I think I need a nice preamp for it because it sounds a bit strange without and… where the heck are the delays?

Any recommendations? ;)

I received the mine today too ... but I don't understand exactly the "bridged mode" and the wire I have to use ... I'm little bit confused :shock

Who can explain me better this kind of configuration ?

I'll use just one input (mono from Axe FX) and one output (to mono cab)

thanks !

Back
Top Bottom