The new MATRIX GT800FX. THE amp for THE Axe-Fx

My cab isnt a koch, but it is a 2x12 with a V30 and a G12H (aniversary in my case). Sounds great with the Matrix.

my mate has a GT800FX, and is also waiting for the AXF2. Hes runing his with a Digitech GSP 1101 for now. Sounds really good apparently, it into an Orange 2x12 with V30s, and his Thunderverb head hasnt been out of the house since he got the GT.

I'm running my AXF2 through the GT800FX into an Orange PPC412 with V30s and I've never been happier than with this setup. I was contemplating getting into FRFR but I am just too accustomed to the "balls" traditional speaker cabs have.

Run the amp mono. Doesn't matter which channel. Running bridged requires a specially made cable, but you don't want that much power into that 2x12 anyway.

Guys, I don't want to read 69 pages - but I read quite a few. My question is, does anyone of you use the Matrix with Atomics? If yes - what can you say.
I'm currently using the powered Atomics but am not too satisfied with the results.

Guys, I don't want to read 69 pages - but I read quite a few. My question is, does anyone of you use the Matrix with Atomics? If yes - what can you say.
I'm currently using the powered Atomics but am not too satisfied with the results.

There's a few people waiting for a review on the Matrix with the Atomics and AFAIK there's maybe a couple who have this setup. Given that the power section of the actives is flat and fairly neutral, would changing this for another flat and neutral supply make a huge difference? Or is the fault with the sound of the tweeter and main speaker? Honestly I don't know. We'll have to wait for a definitive review for that. Sorry I can't help out more Gearhead... :-(

There's a few people waiting for a review on the Matrix with the Atomics and AFAIK there's maybe a couple who have this setup. Given that the power section of the actives is flat and fairly neutral, would changing this for another flat and neutral supply make a huge difference? Or is the fault with the sound of the tweeter and main speaker? Honestly I don't know. We'll have to wait for a definitive review for that. Sorry I can't help out more Gearhead... :-(
Thanks, man - I'll wait

I got one of these recently.

Was quite surprised to hear that it is almost indistinguishable from my Marshall 8008 when running through an Orange 4x12.

Any sonic difference is so so slight to my ears. Tin ears perhaps? Lol.

The Matrix is better spec'd. 2.7kg lighter too.

Was quite surprised to hear that it is almost indistinguishable from my Marshall 8008 when running through an Orange 4x12. The Matrix is better spec'd. 2.7kg lighter too.
Would be interesting to know more opinions. I used to have one and wish I still had.
I would take the weight over the fan sound of the Matrix if I didn't need the extra power of the Matrix (not that I know :))

I've read that the Marshall Valvestate Pro 120/120 is "much better" that the 8008, so that must surely "blow the Matrix out of the water"? ;) It seems to be a 2-rack amp and has a fan, but a bigger one that possibly makes less noise.

Last edited:

Just ordered a GT800FX. Still not 100% sure what cab I'm going to run with with it, but I'm leaning towards the passive Atomic wedge. Only thing I'd really be able to compare to though is my monitors. This will be the first "band level" type rig I've run with my Axe.

Hi folks

On page 10 of the matrix GT800FX manual there is a table describing the wiring for balanced and unbalance cables. They have got balanced and unbalanced mixed up, the balanced to balanced cable is the one with the three connections etc.
I have informed them.

Cheers S

Last edited:
Just posted a vid of the Axe FX and Matrix GT800FX. Basically shot during my soundcheck/set up. Camera was off axis but not bad all the same. Hope you enjoy.
I did enjoy it thanks! The sound in right there, not hidden like with my FRFR. Even with your camera I can almost feel the sound presence and pressure. Can't wait anymore to try my GT800fx with my TT cab on the way...

Thanks Vitchpat1 and guys. Yes there was some definite air being moved, maybe not as much as with a normal speaker, but close enough and a lot better than previous home-brew FRFR attempts I've done. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try the EV12's speakers everyone is raving about soon and compare. I'm gonna try to get a clip of the Matrix powering a W/D/W system up soon. (Obviously the wet part with the Axe FX providing the FX) and see how that does.

Back to the clip...the speakers in the cab will handle 250w each and with the output lights just flashing, I was probably pusing 50/60w into them. The Axe's output 2 was about 12'o clock. It's scary how much headroom was left. My other guitarist is a volume hogger and likes to nudge up louder through the gig. He didn't stand a chance. And this was a 2x12 compared to his Marshall silver Jubilee and 4x12!

Out of curiosity, what is everyone using to run the out of the Axe to the In of the Matrix? They both reside in my rack. I'm using the 20' Mogami XLR cable that I used to feed the Verve with, but 20' is wasted cable for a rack-rack connection.
Has anyone tried one of these:
[h=2]Mogami 2552 Professional Microphone Cable XLR Male to XLR Female - 1 Foot Black[/h]
Any other suggestions?

I keep Out1 (XLR) reserved for FOH and use Out2 (1/4") to connect to the Matrix. The cabling isn't that important really, it's just a line connection.

Would be interesting to know more opinions. I used to have one and wish I still had.
I would take the weight over the fan sound of the Matrix if I didn't need the extra power of the Matrix (not that I know :))

I've read that the Marshall Valvestate Pro 120/120 is "much better" that the 8008, so that must surely "blow the Matrix out of the water"? ;) It seems to be a 2-rack amp and has a fan, but a bigger one that possibly makes less noise.

I'd like to hear more opinions too! Especially as the Marshall 8008 is pretty much £400 cheaper! (based on used price). I think the 8008 might struggle for power though on loud gigs, particularly with the impedance mismatch between amp and cab.

There's either something I'm just not getting, or there is a lot of hyperbole going on.

I keep Out1 (XLR) reserved for FOH and use Out2 (1/4") to connect to the Matrix. The cabling isn't that important really, it's just a line connection.

This is the best configuration IMO, use Out2 to the matrix because it is probably the shortest cable run and is unbalanced therefore more susceptible to noise, Out1 (XLR) is balanced and less susceptible to generating noise at the PA side. If however you are NOT running into a PA then I would use Out1 (XLR) to the Matrix as the Matrix inputs are balanced.

If you're confused about balanced and unbalanced then here is a brief explanation as I understand it. Unbalanced uses only one core of the cable for the the + (Hot) signal and the ground/shield/earth for the return path. This means that any stray currents induced into the cable shield appear as noise to the receiving device because it is looking at the + signal relative to earth. Balanced systems use two cores of the cable. One + (Hot) signal on one core and an inverted -(cold) replica of that signal on the other core. The receiving device looks at these two signals relative to each other and not relative to earth. Therefor stray earth current is ignored.

Last edited:
Hi Yek, have you tried to mic your new TT cab rather than to go directly Out1 to FOH? I am thinking about this solution since I have decided to use the Matrix and the EVM12l, basically as Dada would say share the "balls" with the audience rather to keep that sound just for me on stage..

Hi Yek, have you tried to mic your new TT cab rather than to go directly Out1 to FOH? I am thinking about this solution since I have decided to use the Matrix and the EVM12l, basically as Dada would say share the "balls" with the audience rather to keep that sound just for me on stage..

Micing the cab is possible of course, but it would be the same as going direct using a cab sim.

Back
Top Bottom