The New LF+ Midicontrollers are just awesome!

voes

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
I’m waiting for the LF+ 24+ to hit the street to replace my beloved LF Pro.
In the meanwhile my good friend Rik got his two LF+ 12+ midi-controllers. He was kind enough to let me try them for a couple of days.
I’m so impressed that I had to write this little review.

For those who don’t know the Liquid-Foot (LF) Midicontrollers, the discontinued LF Pro is in Midicontroller land what the Axe-Fx is in Modellers land, the absolute max! And as the Axe-Fx II raised the bar even higher, the new LF+ series did the same.

The concept is just simple and great: all buttons are totally programmable and have a coloured LCD.

First you program your IA’s with on/off midicommands, colors and special commands. 60 IA’s are available. These are not physical things, but memory places (functions).
Then you program your PC’s, 384 are available (if you own an Axe-FX(2) you can easily import them). Again these are functions.
After that you make your Page, which is where you connect the functions IA’s , PC’s and System (menu, bank up/down, …) to any Physical Button on the LF+. Even better you can connect 2 functions on each button. This second function is triggered by holding the button more than 0.5 second (adjustable).

Here’s my setup:

01.jpg

The coloured ones are grouped together, which means only one can be active, which his extremely handy. The colours on this layout are not the actual colours used in the LF+.

After experimenting with colours, I found that using too much different ones makes it look like a cacaphony. Use as less colours as possible will make it easier to overlook and it’s very stylish.

The cheaper version have coloured LEDs instead of LCD’s. My advide: if you can afford it, go for the LCD’s. It has usefull info, is very good to read even in daylight and makes changing pages easy to follow.
I tried to capture the colours (it’s much better in real). Here’s my layout colour-wise:
  • Yellow dimmed for Bank Up/Down and Tempo
  • Purple dimmed for Programs (active= bright)
  • White dimmed for the IA’s OFF and Green bright for ON (1st function)
  • Yellow dimmed for the IA’s OFF and Cyan bright for ON (2nd function)

02.jpg

04.jpg

As said, this is all saved in one PAGE. You can have 50 different pages and of course you can load pages on every possible way.
I have a looper page, which is the same as the default page except the top row (looper functions in red).
Here an image of that PAGE in the dark (let me remind you that it’s very good readable!)

03.jpg

For those wondering, yes these are 2 LF+ 12+ which are connected with UTP in a master/slave scenario.

One last thing about the Editor. Incredible fast (USB), easy to program and reliable (which is a great improvement on the old java/midi editor used for the discontinued LF products)

Bottomline: if you want total control over your Midi gear, the LF+ is the absolute max!!

Of course all this is IMHO and YMMV

Thanks for the great usage example. It gave me some ideas for how to change my setup. I have one LF 12+ and Jeff has come a long way since the LF Jr I used to have, particularly with a functional editor. It works WAY better than the previous editor. While it's entirely possible to program without the editor and the methods to do it are logical, it's vastly easier to manage this level of complexity with the editor.

The programming possibilities with this controller just dwarf the MFC and while not quite as plug and play as the MFC can be in its' most basic configuration, it's not that far behind now. The enormous additional control makes the slight additional effort totally worth it to me, particularly with all the control you can have over x/y switching and the looper via the dbl function switches and multiple pages. It is a tremendously well thought out product.

Great review. I am thinking about the 24+ too.
I have a MFC-101 now. It's a great controller. I wish it had more options similar to the LF+ stuff. Im going to wait and see what Fractal does with the MFC-101's firmware and hope for the best.
Thanks for the review.

I have the LF12+, but decided belatedly that I need the Pro (all those X/Y's!). The products are amazing. Jeff is a great guy, and very responsive to his customer's needs and suggestions.

Thanks for the usage example. I'm going to study it and contrast and compare with my own.

Really love my 2 LF12+'s.
I´m using them either alone or both together in expander mode. I prefere having the modular setup with 2 x LF12+ over a LF+ Pro.

Really love my 2 LF12+'s.
I´m using them either alone or both together in expander mode. I prefere having the modular setup with 2 x LF12+ over a LF+ Pro.

Yeah that is the way I am using them as well. I probably would have went with the pro if I was buying now, but 2 12+s does allow for a small footprint if you ever need it.

Love my LF+12...decided I that the individual LCD screens wasn't worth the extra $200, but the 12 is just as capable. I use the LED colors to indicate to myslelf what's going on with each IA, preset, step, etc.

The ease of the step programming is a winning ticket with the xy feature in the axe-2 - all of my patches have rhy/lead, or wet/dry, or something like that. Great capabilities on a single button, I love it!

thinkin i would like a second one,
what are you guys mounting the second one on when using it or are you finding it is in use all the time!.... is it possible to post some shots of the entire dual layout not just a zoom of the presets :)

Just got my Jr+ two days ago. I'm liking it so far. I'm still learning using the editor and the unit trying different set-ups but for the life of me I cant seem to get the tuner to sync with the Ultra. It displays the tuner on the LF+ but it didnt trigger it on the AxeFx. Do I have to enter the midi command manually? :?

Just got my Jr+ two days ago. I'm liking it so far. I'm still learning using the editor and the unit trying different set-ups but for the life of me I cant seem to get the tuner to sync with the Ultra. It displays the tuner on the LF+ but it didnt trigger it on the AxeFx. Do I have to enter the midi command manually? :?

I had this issue at first, and to be honest, I don't recall what fixed it. I was having some other issues and started over, and it works now. My Tuner IA is setup to be a "quick tap," and it's setup with the function "G-Tuner" and CC 15. No Sync.

I had this issue at first, and to be honest, I don't recall what fixed it. I was having some other issues and started over, and it works now. My Tuner IA is setup to be a "quick tap," and it's setup with the function "G-Tuner" and CC 15. No Sync.

Got it fixed! :mrgreen Works now. Apparently "AXE-FX" should be on the MIDI PARAMS settings under ch name. Then "G-tuner" function and CC #15 like you said ;)

Does + series accept double footswitches like boss fs6 into a single expression input? Or you would use 2 expression ports of the lf+ for that?

Does + series accept double footswitches like boss fs6 into a single expression input? Or you would use 2 expression ports of the lf+ for that?

No, it doesn't support that. In my conversations with Jeff, he said "each port allows either a button or expression pedal today. Will eventually add multi-button."

Back
Top Bottom