The new HBE...

would be really cool to have the vintage Marsha in there as well. did it have the Voice switch as well like the newer one ?

Well, I updated last night before practice, and our keyboard player showed up and distracted me, and I didn't get to update any of my settings. Something like 70% of my sounds are based on the HBE. On my very first patch what I noticed was that my amp was way more versatile for me. I ended up playing the entire night on one preset, just using my volume knob. I loved my old HBE patch, but I think I love this one even more. It cut really well, cleans up really well, and sings when I pour it on. It did have less gain though, and I was wishing for a drive pedal, but my preset didn't have one on it.

Our rehearsals move fast, so I don't really get to make too many adjustments during practice. I was thinking "oh man, I shouldn't have done that (updated)" but it ended up working out pretty well for me.

I can't wait to go it and actually start tweaking on this thing. Maybe tomorrow.

I can put the old model back in as a new model. The old model is an original, hand-built "Marsha". It's MUCH darker than Mark's newer BE/HBE. In fact it's so dark and boomy I emailed Dave to make sure the amp was built correctly. Turns out the snubber cap is the wrong value. But even with the snubber cap corrected it's still very dark and boomy which made me question as to whether there are other components that are incorrect (the guy who built the amp smoked about a pound of pot a day). So we decided to redo the model based on Mark's amp which is the amp that was the demo model at Tone Merchants.

No wonder its such a smoking amp he is smoking the wrong strain if he needs a lb a day who built it snoop dog....?
Should have been named Red Eye if hes chiefn that hard...

I sure dig the cleans ! had a kt88 amp before 150 watt it was very dark as well ODS 150 I had Quinn amps make a few years back ... Before he became "the fugitive" .. Dont let that smoke out.....

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you've misunderstood me or vice versa, but my understanding is this: the HBE model until Q 2.03 (or whenever) was an old Marsha, modeled with the Voice switch to the right.

That model has been removed, in favour of a newer build of HBE which was modeled with the switch right (V1) and the switch left (V2).

That's what I was trying to say with my reply to VegaBaby anyway. I may be entirely on the wrong path here... a quick look at the Marsha shows no Voice switch at all :O
you're right, and that's exactly what I meant. the old model (Marsha) in real life indeed has no Voice switch opposed to the new (BE/HBE) model which was added with the last firmware.

Hey BB... Umm, where can I find Mark Day's patch please?!

It's in AxeChange and here it is - eijoy it.... http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=4119

If you have an MK II like me just convert it with Al's Preset Converter as this is an XL preset. Also you have to change the Delay or Reverb block to a serial block - otherwise it will be very quiet and has to much fx mix. I don't remenber which one it was, just swap the block with seriell settings and it works great.

It's in AxeChange and here it is - eijoy it.... http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=4119

If you have an MK II like me just convert it with Al's Preset Converter as this is an XL preset. Also you have to change the Delay or Reverb block to a serial block - otherwise it will be very quiet and has to much fx mix. I don't remenber which one it was, just swap the block with seriell settings and it works great.

Great!! Thanks man

If the old one comes back as an alternate it could be the:

Hairy Pot Eye
Sticky Bud Eye
Old Red Eye

or something; to reflect the heritage of the build.

(the guy who built the amp smoked about a pound of pot a day)

Well, it must have been some good $#!7 because I like the original model a lot. And there was tons of praise across the board from those who had the real thing saying it was probably the most accurately modeled amp in the unit.

I spent tonight doing, among a bunch of other things, going back and forth between the two models at gig volume at rehearsal. With the 412 TV Mix cab the V2 seemed to lack balls. Finally settled back on the original because I just couldn't get the new one to sound like I wanted it to.

i love the new ones....much prefer them to the old. i always felt the old had a congested thing going on in the low mids, could never dial it out.

Reactions: RDH
The more I think about this, the more I'm leaning towards wanting the old model back. The new one sound great but with the old one I felt like I found my tone, the kind that just makes you feel like it's a part of you.

Think about it this way. The old model still exists so I believe it could just pop right back in, especially with the capability of using the old firmware modeling. The only catch is it will take up memory that I assume could eventually be used for another model that we might want. Gotta remember there is no free lunch.

Well, it must have been some good $#!7 because I like the original model a lot.

I spent tonight doing, among a bunch of other things, going back and forth between the two models at gig volume at rehearsal. With the 412 TV Mix cab the V2 seemed to lack balls. Finally settled back on the original because I just couldn't get the new one to sound like I wanted it to.
Um... Both of the models in this FW are the "new" amp. So what you mean is you like the switch to the right on the new amp.

Back
Top Bottom