The new HBE...

The HBE has always been my go to amp, I was happy before and am a tad happier now (after a few minor tweaks).
After putting it in the mix I got this inner “WOW” because the character and the ability to articulate inspired better.
Don’t know if it was a result of tweakin or the model itself. Whatever.. I was riding that wave.

Thanks Cliff!

Last edited:
I can put the old model back in as a new model. The old model is an original, hand-built "Marsha". It's MUCH darker than Mark's newer BE/HBE. In fact it's so dark and boomy I emailed Dave to make sure the amp was built correctly. Turns out the snubber cap is the wrong value. But even with the snubber cap corrected it's still very dark and boomy which made me question as to whether there are other components that are incorrect (the guy who built the amp smoked about a pound of pot a day). So we decided to redo the model based on Mark's amp which is the amp that was the demo model at Tone Merchants.

That would be absolutely awesome Cliff! Even though I am sure many of us will in time love those new HB / HBEs that was one of the amp models that I ran across originally my first time through the Axe that made my jaw drop.

Yeah i noticed it too, i was also a bit disappointed first, but with few tweaks im really happy again. First what i noticed though was way less gain. I had somewhere around 3-5 and now i need to roll up to 6 to achieve same results.
Still, it sounds better, different, a tad more upmid "clanky" but better. Definetly better for less metal players. I always wondered, how the hell is HBE doing such an amazing job in metal environment :)

I must say i never got a good sound from the Friedman's although they are very good sounding amps, but the new models are for me amazing. Just check out Mark Day's latestr Toto preset. He's got MV on 6.5 or so and extremly tight and great sounding.

In the old model,the bright switch did make it brighter.. but now it does nothing ?? Maybe HBE V2 does the bright (just a little)

Is this a bug ?

I can put the old model back in as a new model. The old model is an original, hand-built "Marsha". It's MUCH darker than Mark's newer BE/HBE. In fact it's so dark and boomy I emailed Dave to make sure the amp was built correctly. Turns out the snubber cap is the wrong value. But even with the snubber cap corrected it's still very dark and boomy which made me question as to whether there are other components that are incorrect (the guy who built the amp smoked about a pound of pot a day). So we decided to redo the model based on Mark's amp which is the amp that was the demo model at Tone Merchants.

That would be awesome.
I love the new ones but the old ones were definitely great!

Man, I'm only using the MV at 3.5 and the gain around 2 and it's almost too brutal. I've got to try it with all of your settings.

Good to read about them being (possibly) less boomy and w/ more range on the gain dial. I'll have to try them again..

I love the new HBE model, especially V2. in my opinion they need even less tweaking now since the bass is tighter. I keep the MV much lower than the OP though. Will be very interesting to compare the two versions side by side. I loved the old one, but Cliff's sentiments of it being too dark was always something I had felt I had to try tweaking out.

In the old model,the bright switch did make it brighter.. but now it does nothing ?? Maybe HBE V2 does the bright (just a little)

Is this a bug ?

Probably one of those realistic points where the bright switch doesn't work on amps that don't have it. I'm fairly sure the real amp's bright switch only works on the clean channel.

I like the new one much better!

I love the V2 version of both i was playing last night and had the MV on around 4 on my presets cranked it up to 5 or so and wow it opened it up considerably. lost some of the darkness i was getting on the patches.

I've like every HBE versions so far, it first began with the Marsha models in the ultra. So no difference here, both V1 and V2 kick ass!! This is the ultimate hotrod Marshall. It sounds good with master volume set almost anywhere, from 3 to around 6. I've never play with the real amp, but listening to youtube videos, it sounds pretty much like the axe fx models! Close enought to me though!

Back
Top Bottom