The new HBE...

Cool if that's really Dave. I wonder how many builders find it worthwhile to work with Cliff to develop accurate models.

I know some people sell their amps and go digital, but I actually bought a Dirty Shirley and Smallbox after falling in love with their models on the AxeFx. I never would have had the chance to demo those amps locally.

I've added the old model back for Q3.00.

Sorry to intrude, but is there any way to possibly add the 800 mod we had in 2.0 back as well? I use the new one, but went back to FW 2.0 to compare and it just breaks up so much cooler because you don't have to use the boost button to get the gain out of it. The new one, when you up the gain, it sounds funny so I have to lower the gain and use boost. It's not quite the same. I know I'm probably asking too much, but figured I'd at least ask. New AFD2 is off the hook though! It obliterates the old one.

Cliffy

Do you have an original Marsha or old BE. I cant remember what I sent you?
Maybe we should do the newest spec?

I don't know. I'm assuming it's a Marsha but it has a Friedman badge. It's sorta "prototype" looking. Stickers for labels and such. Very different looking than Mark's.

Remind me to never visit this place while drinking coffee. I laughed so hard at this, coffee came out my nose....I thought he was black too! And damn, he can play really good too....love that tone BB!

Based on his avatar, I actually thought he was light blue. Double surprised!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lx217xa6y45abne/noisy HBEv2.mov?dl=0

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but this is what I'm talking about. Watch the vid at the link if you get a minute. The gain is sorta high to start off, but no pedal in front (makes it way worse). The amp is STOCK except for I switched on boost and bright. I roll the gain up and the whistling starts. While the gain is high, I would not consider the master overly high and the gain, once it starts whistling, is not as high as some metal folks would prefer. This whistling, without a super tight gate, makes the amp unusable to me (for my tastes).

Guitar is a Skervesen Nebelung with BKP Juggernauts. Other guitars with high gain pickups make the same noise. This whistling simply was not in the previous version, nor is it in other amps that I've tried.

Having said that, I'm only harping on this because I really dig the tone of the amp and wish I could get into higher gain territory without having to worry about the whistle.

Since one of the recent updates it has at least seemed like all amps are inherently more noisy than in the past when MV is up higher. I don't experience any squealing like you have in your example though. Guess you just need to sit further back from any interference going on with your pickups. I hear all sorts of clicking nowadays being passed through the Axe-Fx from my guitar pickups when my computer is processing something. Don't exactly recall it being the way it is now in the past but what can you do.

I mean even with headphones. Just scrolling down a webpage I hear a buzzing noise being passed through my pickups from my laptop's screen. Ordinarily you couldn't replicate a natural feedback or anything when playing direct right? If there's squeal going on and you're not in front of a cabinet my only guess would be light interference. Dunno what else could be going on. You didn't have any problems like this before, and the only variable is the FW update?

Went and loaded up a patch to see what else it could be. It's the bright switch you have on. The real amp doesn't have one for the gain channels, only clean. I can run everything at 10 with no squeal otherwise.

Ya, that makes a large difference for sure. Although the previous version didn't have any trouble with it. I generally like the bright switch on on most amps as I find it gets things more articulate. Also, other amps do not present this same whistle regardless of master volume or bright switch. It's important to note that the whistle is NOT feedback from the guitar or speakers. I can have my speakers entirely off and record the same sound. If it's something to do with the topology of the amp and can't be remedied, I'll be a little bummed out. Otherwise I wouldn't continue this thread. haha

Back
Top Bottom