The new HBE...

Considering the original model was a Marsha rather than an HBE, I think it should be added as exactly that... :)

The reason Friedman no longer has an amp model called "Marsha" is because Marshall amps sent a cease & desist order demanding they stop using that name (for obvious reasons). I doubt Cliff wants to receive a similar order.

In that case, when you put the old model back in the Axe-Fx, it's new name should be "HBE GREEN", as a tribute to the amp's builder. :)

My vote for this! :D

The reason Friedman no longer has an amp model called "Marsha" is because Marshall amps sent a cease & desist order demanding they stop using that name (for obvious reasons). I doubt Cliff wants to receive a similar order.

Understandable, I think it has to do with preserving the old logo, removing the last 2 letters was a lazy technique!

Last edited:
I can put the old model back in as a new model. The old model is an original, hand-built "Marsha". It's MUCH darker than Mark's newer BE/HBE. In fact it's so dark and boomy I emailed Dave to make sure the amp was built correctly. Turns out the snubber cap is the wrong value. But even with the snubber cap corrected it's still very dark and boomy which made me question as to whether there are other components that are incorrect (the guy who built the amp smoked about a pound of pot a day). So we decided to redo the model based on Mark's amp which is the amp that was the demo model at Tone Merchants.
+1 vote for adding the old model in.

It was one of those amps that required no tweaking at all for a modern high gain sound that f.ex. I always used as a go-to. **Name drop warning!** As far as artist relations go when I hung out with the Periphery guys last month in the studio and they were recording the Periphery III guitars the amp model they used was the "old" HBE amp sim even though they had the real Friedman sitting on the table and could've used a Torpedo as a load box and use real amps with my IR's like they did on the Haunted Shores album. Misha even said that the HBE model sounds different but the model was closer to the sound they wanted on the new album.

What I'm saying is, this amp sim would definitely be used by many people. And as for the pot... there was so much good music in the 70s.

i love the new ones....much prefer them to the old. i always felt the old had a congested thing going on in the low mids, could never dial it out.
This! I was never able to get the congested low mids out either, so seldom ever used the model. However it's now one of my favorites! Please don't replace the new one ! Adding the old one back in addition is great!

Can't have enough good HBE versions, I’d be more than happy to see it back in there, it was my go to amp, not that I’m not happy with the new ones…

Yesterday I did some loud testing and I love the new Friedmans - here is a little noddling clip with BE100 V2 (modelling on "latest") and the Sat switch on - Sat-Drive is on about 3.000. sorry for my jogging pants, I've just realised how awefull I look with them.

Whoa! You're not black!

Sounds like I'm in the minority but I'm loving the "latest" HBE. Definitely feels more like a Marshall than both the orig version here and the HBE modded JMP I had. I'm a fan of this one. And now we get them both...ha! Cool stuff Mr Cliff, cool stuff

Back
Top Bottom