The New Dune Movie Trailer…

Those videos are so cleverly done, and the guy behind them has put out some music I really like to.

Seems like the film's pulling in some money

I enjoyed it. I was already familiar with the story, and I think they did an excellent job with the VFX. The were very “realistic” compared to the crap that other studios are putting out. If you haven’t watched this, Corridor Crew did a video comparing it to the original film:

Huh, what? What a weird post.
I guess you must have missed the whole Zwarte Piet debate here in the Netherlands too. We live in the age of 'THE MESSAGE' and everything has to be made secondary to pushing that onto us. Just look at the Eternals and the entire marketing. If you had to take a shot of alcohol every time some movie talking head used the word 'diversity' to praise the movie you'd be on the intensive care with alcohol poisoning.

Hopefully it will make a lot on Blu Ray & DVD sales.
Maybe? But for that to happen part 2 has to be made, because why buy a DVD or blu ray to a story that you know will never conclude?

Nope - conventional wisdom has marketing and other costs roughly equivalent to production costs.
Wow, then everyone is wrong? Then Black Widow, Chang Shi and the Eternals should all have made bank by now. Instead of, as Disney said in its earnings reports, turned in a loss.

Why?

It made absolutely zero difference to the plot line. The only ones who noticed were book purists. Anyone coming to the movie never having read the book experienced no meaningful change to the storyline as a result of this change.
If it has no meaningful purpose then why do it? And also, the WB marketing team HEAVILY played up this race and gender swaps. Trying to sell the movie as woke to the Hollywood press who LOVE woke stuff. Which might have hurt the movie as it caused a lot of people to have doubts about it.

Because Villneuve liked that actor in that role. It was his artistic choice.
True, and that was usually always the answer. And we always used to be fine with it because we knew it was an artistic choice. But we live in the age of the wokepocalypse. Where EVERY white male character gets gender or race swapped. And sometimes both. And where in comics basically EVERYONE is baseline bi or trans now and superman is gay. Which means that every race and gender swap in a movie has become suspect. Did they change it for artistic choice, or because of 'THE MESSAGE'.

Bezos famously wanted Wheel of Time to be Amazon's Game of Thrones. I suspect he might be disappointed.
Thing is, you can't make another Game of Thrones just like you cannot make another Metallica or another Animals as Leaders or another David Bowie. They're originals and anything trying to be a copy of a successful original will always remain in the shadow of that original. If Bezos wants a major hit like Game of Thrones he should go look for an interesting original story. And most definitely not woke it up like he's doing with the Lord of the Rings series. Which will be shit regardless, because he's adapting what is basically a history segment from the Silmarillion withhad none of the Tolkien dialogues that made LOTR a success and only the barest of outlines of a story. And we've seen with GoT what happens when TV writers run out of book to adapt and have to make up their own thing.

Personally I think if Bezos wants a major hit show he should have his people read up on African folklore and history. There should be interesting tales full of unexplored historical, supernatural, personal and mythological stuff there. In the 80's we had the Shaka Zulu TV series and it was MASSIVE! Water cooler TV at the time. Which shows there is potential for something interesting from that continent.

I guess you must have missed the whole Zwarte Piet debate here in the Netherlands too.

I’m a middle-aged white male, born and raised and living in The Netherlands, and I’m totally in favor of abandoning the “Zwarte Piet” concept, because many people feel offended by it. I’ll leave it to that to prevent breaking the forum rules.

Did they change it for artistic choice, or because of 'THE MESSAGE'.
In the end, it doesn’t matter one iota.

You’ve decided to make it matter to you. Which says much more about you than Hollywood, Warner Bros, or Villeneuve.

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.”

- M. Angelou

Your posts have always spoken loud and clear.

Bezos famously wanted Wheel of Time to be Amazon's Game of Thrones. I suspect he might be disappointed.
Yea. The thing is that nobody can really know what's gonna strike the cultural consciousness next. It isn't as simple as "adapt another epic fantasy because it's popular right now." GoT was a popular book series, but nobody could've predicted that it was going to become that show any more than any other.

At least the showrunners have the real ending of Wheel to work with...

I’m a middle-aged white male, born and raised and living in The Netherlands, and I’m totally in favor of abandoning the “Zwarte Piet” concept, because many people feel offended by it. I’ll leave it to that to prevent breaking the forum rules.

Anyone can zero in on most anything and allow it to offend them. Growing up in a small town rural area, the next little town 8 or 10 miles up the road hated us and we hated them, no one knew why and we all lived and looked the same. A lot of things are born out of ignorance and I wish we could mature together and not be so petty. We seem to be going in reverse as now our leaders cater to feelings rather than logic and what the past has proven. With the exception of what we are taught and or experience we are the same. All the same ingredients, just different levels of this or that.

I don't always agree with everyone but I'm happy to be connected with all of you.

So where are you guys watching it? Theaters?

Yes....I've seen it twice on the big screen. Once was in the UltraAVX theater and another time in 3D. The experience in the UltraAVX was very cool...the sound, and visuals, were astounding I thought. I might even go one more time as seeing this on a home system just isn't the same.

Here in Europe I can only buy it right now, 22 €, seems it is worth the price tag, if there is going to be a continuity in the story, reviews seem good.

I saw this on IMAX the first day of release in the US.

This reminded me of 70s film making where scenes had time to breathe, people's reaction shots were not punctuated with another character doing play by play for the slow witted in the audience, the battle scenes made actual strategic sense, and exposition was organically worked into the dialogue so that those not familiar with the books would be asking tons of questions.

I hope the sound design wins some awards as it was the first movie since the original Star Wars or Kubrick's The Shining where the sound design transported me into this alternate world. The way they portrayed "the voice" was the way 10 year old me imagined it when I read the book.

I'm looking forward to the part 2 and Children of Dune.

I saw this on IMAX the first day of release in the US.

This reminded me of 70s film making where scenes had time to breathe, people's reaction shots were not punctuated with another character doing play by play for the slow witted in the audience, the battle scenes made actual strategic sense, and exposition was organically worked into the dialogue so that those not familiar with the books would be asking tons of questions.

I hope the sound design wins some awards as it was the first movie since the original Star Wars or Kubrick's The Shining where the sound design transported me into this alternate world. The way they portrayed "the voice" was the way 10 year old me imagined it when I read the book.

I agree fully with all of this; every aspect of this movie was done extremely well and competently...so rare these days.

What is also of note, is that a couple of friends saw this with people not into sci-fi at all, and they both reported that everyone absolutely loved the movie in a big way and didn't find it at all 'confusing'. That is a huge testament to how well crafted the screenplay is able to engage an audience that may be well outside of the 'sci-fi' genre and get them invested in the story, as well as getting the core concepts of Dune across in an entertaining way.

And yea, the sound...I keep circling back to how effective it was in creating immersion and stirring emotions. If the sound design doesn't win awards something is wrong, as there are so many new, pioneering sounds, and effects, contained within that add so much to the atmosphere in an natural way...top shelf stuff here.

The Sardaukar "Chant" delivered by the solitary figure up high on the podium was absolutely creepy and blood-chilling, both visually and sonically...that shot is one of my favorite scenes for sure.

The Sardaukar "Chant" delivered by the solitary figure up high on the podium was absolutely creepy and blood-chilling, both visually and sonically...that shot is one of my favorite scenes for sure.
Downright bone chilling. Ya want fries wid dat?

Back
Top Bottom