The New Dune Movie Trailer…

No, no, a 1000x no. It would be made woke as f***. Hollywoke can't help themselves race and genderswapping characters left and right, making strong Mary Sue women, soulfull saint black guys and weak pathetic white men. Its bad enough that Villeneuve race and genderswapped Liet Keyes to a black woman.

Right now I don't want them to make ANYTHING until they quit inserting their politics into everything. And no more reboots!
I'm shocked they didn't make Paul Paula and have a lesbian relationship with Chani. Now I'll wait for the Woke Police to come crashing down my door.

Has anyone else seen the movie? I've seen it twice on the big screen, and it was one of those rare movies that lived up, and exceeded, my expectations, definitely.

The extraordinary visuals, fantastic soundtrack/sound production, acting, costumes, overall tone, and set design really drew me into it's world. Denis Villeneuve really knows how to make a grand sci-fi flick and did another stellar job here.

I just re-watched the 1984 version the other night, and, while there is much to like about various aspects of it, it's like a high school play compared to this...I can't wait until Part 2.

Has anyone else seen the movie? I've seen it twice on the big screen, and it was one of those rare movies that lived up, and exceeded, my expectations, definitely.

The extraordinary visuals, fantastic soundtrack/sound production, acting, costumes, overall tone, and set design really drew me into it's world. Denis Villeneuve really knows how to make a grand sci-fi flick and did another stellar job here.

I just re-watched the 1984 version the other night, and, while there is much to like about various aspects of it, it's like a high school play compared to this...I can't wait until Part 2.

Yes, saw it three weeks ago. It exceeded my expectations too. I also really enjoyed the pace - despite all the material, it never felt hurried.

Even though it will probably end up losing money, thanks to HBO-Max having it for free and a weird release schedule that had some countries have it in theaters weeks before the US and other places, thankfully the next part has been greenlighted by Warner Brothers. It probably didn't hurt that the movie only cost 130 mln USD to make, excluding marketing, which is usually twice what a movie cost to make. So they will lose money on this movie, but not that much. OMB Reviews had it that its currently 45 mln still away from breaking even.

They should have shot the entire book back to back though. Not knowing if there was going to be a resolution to this story might have hurt it with some audience goers. Now the actors will look a little older, some might not be able to return at all and chances are some will now demand a bigger wage, probably causing the budget for the next movie to be higher.

No, no, a 1000x no. It would be made woke as f***. Hollywoke can't help themselves race and genderswapping characters left and right, making strong Mary Sue women, soulfull saint black guys and weak pathetic white men. Its bad enough that Villeneuve race and genderswapped Liet Keyes to a black woman.

Right now I don't want them to make ANYTHING until they quit inserting their politics into everything. And no more reboots!

Huh, what? What a weird post.

Even though it will probably end up losing money, thanks to HBO-Max having it for free and a weird release schedule that had some countries have it in theaters weeks before the US and other places, thankfully the next part has been greenlighted by Warner Brothers. It probably didn't hurt that the movie only cost 130 mln USD to make, excluding marketing, which is usually twice what a movie cost to make. So they will lose money on this movie, but not that much. OMB Reviews had it that its currently 45 mln still away from breaking even.

They should have shot the entire book back to back though. Not knowing if there was going to be a resolution to this story might have hurt it with some audience goers. Now the actors will look a little older, some might not be able to return at all and chances are some will now demand a bigger wage, probably causing the budget for the next movie to be higher.
Hopefully it will make a lot on Blu Ray & DVD sales.

It probably didn't hurt that the movie only cost 130 mln USD to make, excluding marketing, which is usually twice what a movie cost to make. So they will lose money on this movie, but not that much. OMB Reviews had it that its currently 45 mln still away from breaking even.
Nope - conventional wisdom has marketing and other costs roughly equivalent to production costs.

I was glad to see the remake, as I thought the original was weak.

The first part was enjoyable, and it’s got me rereading the books for the fourth time, with Foundation waiting in the wings for a rereading.

Watched it three times on HBO Max. Fantastically shot with plenty of subtlties in the dialog to keep the plot line advancing without having to spend hours in the politics the way the books do. Final watch was with the kids and they enjoyed it as well and it generated a good amount of dialog around the plot and what was happening that I enjoyed. I'm sure they'll read the books now.

Can't wait for part 2. I wish they'd done it as a TV series ala Game of Thrones -- massive budget, massive undertaking. Oh well.

Why?

It made absolutely zero difference to the plot line. The only ones who noticed were book purists. Anyone coming to the movie never having read the book experienced no meaningful change to the storyline as a result of this change.
Exactly the point. If it made no difference, than why do it?

Nope - conventional wisdom has marketing and other costs roughly equivalent to production costs.
You would think in todays world of instant communication if you made a really good movie that everyone would know in a week. Did they really need to spend tens of millions of dollars promoting those Avenger films? I remember way back before the internet when Raiders first came out I told everyone I knew "you gotta see this movie!" and they did. They probably then told everyone they knew. Didn't cost the producers a penny.

I was glad to see the remake, as I thought the original was weak.

The first part was enjoyable, and it’s got me rereading the books for the fourth time, with Foundation waiting in the wings for a rereading.
I liked this version a lot more than Lynch's, partly because we now have the tech to make everything look and sound authentic and epic. The only thing I didn't like was that everything seemed to go by way too fast - I'd have loved for it to be a series too. It does a great job with all the key events but doesn't really leave enough room between them to let the story and characters develop and breathe.

I just watched Ep 1 of Foundation, and am psyched for the rest of it. Very different vibe from the book, although I haven't re-read it in decades. Actually it's probably good that I don't really remember anything except a few major plot points because I won't be comparing and it won't interfere with my just watching it ;-)

Up next - Wheel of Time!

The only thing I didn't like was that everything seemed to go by way too fast - I'd have loved for it to be a series too. It does a great job with all the key events but doesn't really leave enough room between them to let the story and characters develop and breathe.
Yup. Movies just don’t leave you the time to do that with an epic the length of Dune. Oh well.

Up next - Wheel of Time!
Uh. Go in with…lowered expectations. :)

Back
Top Bottom