The new DS1 Mod is unbelievably good

Good to know. I didn't model it based on any actual pedal. I made the model by taking the DS-1 and applying the Keeley "Seeing Eye" and "Ultra" mods.

The great thing about the new Drive block is you just enter component values and op-amp and diode parameters and it just works.

I was curious which mod it was, that’s great news!

Back in my Vai fanboy days I got a DS-1 because he was using one as a boost. I absolutely hated it. It was a 90’s era MIT version. A little while later I found out Vai and Satch were both using MIJ DS-1’s, which used a different chip. I tracked one down and while I normally don’t jump on the hype train of certain eras, there’s definitely some truth to the matter. I ended up using that DS-1 all over the place. For a while, I’d just bring that and a delay pedal to a gig/jam where an amp was already provided and I was good to go. I still have it, but my pug pissed on it and it corroded the metal so bad, the footswitch mounts fell apart. I really should re-house that in a new box, I just don’t use pedals anymore.

Then Vai and Satch started using Keeley modded versions. I’m assuming the ”Ultra’ and “Seeing Eye” mod names are hat knows to Vai, as it was right around the time of the Ultra Zone album and Vai used quite a bit of seeing eye imagery back in the P&W days. Never got to try one out, so I’m anxious to see how it sounds.

Awesome. I had the Seeing Eye DS1 years ago, and can't wait to try this one out. Gonna take a ling lunch break after my team Zoom call and go update and playbfor a bit.

Good to know. I didn't model it based on any actual pedal. I made the model by taking the DS-1 and applying the Keeley "Seeing Eye" and "Ultra" mods.

That is awesome to hear as I have a Keeley Seeing Eye - will have to compare (and then sell it). Thanks Cliff!

I would like to inquire about the DS-1!
Unfortunately, I don't know the DS-1 at all.
I don't know what I need to know to change the settings?
Someone would help me understand what I don’t know!
Maybe I'm blonde? Thanks!:D;)😂😜

Turn the knobs until you find a tone you like. If you can't find a tone you like you're probably not alone. In that case try a different drive.

Good to know. I've done a bunch of Monte Allums mods to my BOSS pedals over the years(DS-1, SD-1, OD-1). I'll have to see what components they involved and try the same mods in AXE-EDIT.

I have a Ibanez TS-7 that Keeley modded for me prior to selling his own pedals. I wish I knew what he did. It has a 3 way toggle to select clipping if I'm not mistaken(that's always a possibility with my creeping age!)

The great thing about the new Drive block is you just enter component values and op-amp and diode parameters and it just works.

Not wanting to derail things, or set off a frenzy amongst the forum - but you mentioned a while back you'd picked up a Klon clone and said it was something you were working on. Just wondering if there was anything you could share about it

This is the first pedal I ever saw or used. My friend's friend was in his garage playing STP through a crate amp and it all looked so cool. I bugged him until he showed me how to play riff in Come As You Are and the rest is history.

Listen to '90 grunge album (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins...). I was told John Popper used the DS1 for harmonica. You have to embrace acid sound, use a bit of guitar volume to "round" the tone, and let the DS1 sit in the mix. If you listen isoled... uglyness.

FM3 DS1 AX8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom