The new Dream Theater album.

Anything that isn't Systematic Chaos or Black Clouds ... is a win in my book.
Pure tripe!

Last edited:
I'm with the "I like the early stuff" crowd on this one. I got into DT in '93 at 14 and completely obsessed over them up for the next years. GuitarDojo hit the nail on the head for me when he attributes the change to Kev Moore leaving - the more Rudess has been involved, the more cheesy it's sounded to my ears. As someone that has spent a lot of years around extreme music (everything from the most brutal death and grind to the Japanese noise scene), I've always found them trying to be metal very awkward - it's like watching your dad dance at a wedding. I have a whole slew of analysis around the concept of being culturally appropriate, but I'll spare you the musicological theory.

The CD was therefore a pleasant surprise - back to something more similar to what I grew up with, LaCheese (mostly) resists the temptation to pay homage to a whole series of balding-and-leather-clad falsetto horror and to my complete amazement, Rudess managed to stay away from the "shredding pan pipes" thing until nearly the end of the CD.

Now, if someone can just make me enjoy "Clockwork Angels"...

As someone that has spent a lot of years around extreme music (everything from the most brutal death and grind to the Japanese noise scene), I've always found them trying to be metal very awkward - it's like watching your dad dance at a wedding
Agree. As amazing as he is, Petrucci trying to write brutal riffs is like Arnold trying to smile in T2

Back
Top Bottom