AustinBuddy Naked Amps Tone Pack (still) Rules! ... New Website up...FM3...coming soon(ish)

Cant decide what to do. I have two units, Mark at home and XL+ in the band gear, so there is no easy way to have the 700 presets available at both units... Convert each one via FracTool - terrible job.. Buy twice not an option too..That's the only thing stopping me to buy the pack right now....

Just get the pack for the Mark which works for both.....no converting.;)

The Mark II TonePack version should work on both IF you convert it with FracTool to XL. I don't own a Mark II anymore so I can't verify myself the above that says Mark II version will work on an XL.

The only thing you lose is that the Mark II version only has/uses 132 factory cabs, the XL has cabs 133 to 189.

In about 1 in 7 presets, I originally picked a Cab pairing from 133 to 189 on my XL I then went back for the Mark II version and had to re-select cabs based on the choices. Still sounds good either way; so that's the only real difference between the two versions.

The print out it comes (in ReadMe Folder) with shows what cabs go with each preset for the XL and AX8 models so if you get really curious and bought the Mark II version, you can figure out what cabs were substituted by running FracTool and comparing them to the AX8/XL list.

Some customers buy both versions. Some people have more time than money, others have more money than time.

Last edited:
The Mark II pack should work on both - -IF you convert it with FracTool to XL. The only thing you lose is that the Mark II only has 132 factory cabs, the XL has cabs 133 to 189.

In about 1 in 7 presets I originally picked a Cab pairing from 133 to 189. I then went back for the Mark II version and had to re-select cabs based on the choices. Still sounds good either way; that's the only real difference. The print out it comes with shows what cabs go with eahc preset for the XL and AX8 models so if you get really curious you can figure out what cabs were substituted by running FracTool and comparing them to the XL list.

I have had customers buy both...mainly if they have an AX8, and an XL or Mark II.
I prefer to have XL version. Am I right - I will have the text file with all the presets with corresponding cabs? Will I have the name of Mark cab for the presets with cab 133-189?

I prefer to have XL version. Am I right - I will have the text file with all the presets with corresponding cabs? Will I have the name of Mark cab for the presets with cab 133-189?

That doesn't come with your XL version (it does list them for for AX8 and XL).

To get you this, I would have to load four banks from Mark II version into my XL, run FracTool to extract the cab names, save as a .pdf, then re-load my XL banks. I can do it, but am away for a day or so -- it may be easier to crowd source this to get it to you faster.

QUESTION: Can anyone here with the Mark II/Original Axe-Fx version of the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack quickly run FracTool across all three main banks and save the output spreadsheet amp/cab list as a .pdf and post it here?

Muchas Gracias!

That doesn't come with your XL version (it does list them for for AX8 and XL).

To get you this, I would have to load four banks from Mark II version into my XL, run FracTool to extract the cab names, save as a .pdf, then re-load my XL banks. I can do it, but am away for a day or so -- it may be easier to crowd source this to get it to you faster.

QUESTION: Can anyone here with the Mark II/Original Axe-Fx version of the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack quickly run FracTool across all three main banks and save the output spreadsheet amp/cab list as a .pdf and post it here?

Muchas Gracias!
Actually I just bought XL version, after that I will try to find the solution. %)

Hey @austinbuddy - quick question: what was the output level on VU meters that you targeted?

My presets are dialed in to just bump the 0 line, but yours seem to be much quieter.

Just trying to make sure that is what is intended because when I migrated all my old presets from my mkII to my XL+ a few months ago, they all were 12dB quieter than expected until I loaded them through FracTool.

Thanks

Kevin

Hey @austinbuddy - quick question: what was the output level on VU meters that you targeted?

My presets are dialed in to just bump the 0 line, but yours seem to be much quieter.
That depends a lot on your guitar. Some of the Naked presets differed from each other by as much as 8 dB with my Tele copy, but were within a couple of dB of 0 VU with my Les Paul clone.

Just trying to make sure that is what is intended because when I migrated all my old presets from my mkII to my XL+ a few months ago, they all were 12dB quieter than expected until I loaded them through FracTool.

Hi Kevin:

You may know all of this technical stuff, but since you've posted here and others will read it, I'll cover a lot of the "why" below in application, sorry it is lengthy.

As detailed on the TonePack ReadMe file and shown on the video, I'm not using the Fractal on-board VUs. Instead I'm bringing the digital output (via SP/DIF) into a studio console, and I'm targeting -12 db there (but up to -6db for peaks), with humbuckers. This is normally what a FOH person wants to see for solid input signal level, or for recording a track into in a DAW. If you approach zero with the digital output into a console, you'll risk digital distortion or clipping. At -12db you have strong signal, but if need be you can add or take away gain as needed through a DAW, board mixer gain or power amp volume.

So by having everything set to between -12db (and up to -6db for peaks, like with very bassy modern/metal amps), you should not have any Front-oF-House or DAW distortion, and you can use real pedals galore adding gain but avoid clipping.

If your other guitar presets levels are coming in real close to 0 db in a DAW, that can spell trouble. Some pros like Dweezil Zappa even dial their presets to come in even lower like at -20 db -- I kid you not/seen it.

Also as detailed in ReadMe notes and on my blog, there are tips if the presets on your system are coming in too quiet or too loud. But the last thing you want to do is fool with the preset volume level -- the presets are all leveled together.

You will find the amp Level value inside the amp block will range from -24 up to +2 db, because they vary based on the Input Drive and Master volume levels being set, to get the amp to do what it does best. Amp Block Level is the very last control I touch to bring the dialed-in sound up to -12db on each preset. Some amps are far more pickup sensitive or touch sensitive than others too I found; something that is loud with humbuckers may be quiet with single coils. Others are loud with either pickup type, hardly a difference. Some also have better dynamics, others are flattter.

There are other steps you can take first. Here's the relevant excerpt of that blog post:

Leveling: Every preset was dialed in on Flat Frequency/Flat Response monitors — Atomic Neo-CLRs — at at least 92 db or higher (which is a general standard for film studios for theater goers) or louder, and helps prevent Fletcher Munson effect and making sure the presets work at gig volumes as well as recording into Digital Audio Workstations.

-If you are using an AX8, you should set your output 1 knob to the maximum clockwise – that is unity gain (to the SPDIF signal everything was dialed in on). You can adjust back if need be.

(Interestingly, in 2016 I discovered on the AX8, the front panel Output1 knob actually controls the SPDIF output level too. But on the Axe-Fx XL I use, the SPDIF digital signal appears totally independent -- meaning the Output1 knob has no effect on its level, just the rear XLR outputs. That may have changed since, I did let Fractal know).

-If you are using an XL, your Output 1 knob level should be at roughly noon for unity gain with the digital signal.

Instead of using the XLR outs into my monitors, I instead use the digital SP/DIF output of the signal from my XL (or AX8) into an Universal Apollo Quad console to check my levels (pure digital signal), avoiding a second D/A to A/D conversion or any added gain at Output1. I made sure my SPDIF output unity gain matched the Output 1 setting on my Axe-Fx XL as well.

As a gut check, after dialing everything in on studio monitors in mono, I also then listened to every preset through a third Atomic NEO-CLR with inputs and outputs set to Noon that was 10-12 feet away from me, set up just like I’d use at a local Austin club gig.

Preset levels using humbuckers for most presets have been set to come in between -12db and -6db on most DAW or PA consoles, allowing ample headroom — you should not get any digital clipping (unless you use super-hot active pickups!).

This level setting should also let you use any real-life drive blocks you want in front of the Axe-Fx or AX8 without introducing clipping, but that will be dependent on the output of your own gear.

If you want the presets to sound louder, max your DAW fader, use the gain input or plug-in on your DAW or board, or turn up your stereo monitors, or your power amp feeding your PA or speaker cab — please do those things before fooling with the amp preset level. On an Axe-FX you can turn up Output 1 knob past noon to add more volume to XLR outs.

If you want the presets to sound quieter, then simply turn down the Output1 and/or Output2 knob on your Ax8 or Axe-Fx (if using the XLR outs).

Note that in dialing in the cleans in bank 3, I used a ’68 Telecaster neck pickup. If you use single coils, levels may come in a little softer than humbuckers naturally, but generally the provided drive block in the clean presets is just a “clean boost” and will help bring the preset volume up more — and sound great!

Kevin -- hope this helps! If you want to increase the volume across the board for the presets (like adding 3db), for Mark II or XLs it is possible using Fractool using the Batch Processor, but NOT possible for AX8 units. I know, I've tried it -- you can't batch process the amp block level on an AX8, so you'd have to raise the level in another block instead.

Hi Kevin:

You may know all of this technical stuff, but since you've posted here and others will read it, I'll cover a lot of the "why" below in application, sorry it is lengthy.

As detailed on the TonePack ReadMe file and shown on the video, I'm not using the Fractal on-board VUs. Instead I'm bringing the digital output (via SP/DIF) into a studio console, and I'm targeting -12 db there (but up to -6db for peaks), with humbuckers. This is normally what a FOH person wants to see for solid input signal level, or for recording a track into in a DAW. If you approach zero with the digital output into a console, you'll risk digital distortion or clipping. At -12db you have strong signal, but if need be you can add or take away gain as needed through a DAW, board mixer gain or power amp volume.

So by having everything set to between -12db (and up to -6db for peaks, like with very bassy modern/metal amps), you should not have any Front-oF-House or DAW distortion, and you can use real pedals galore adding gain but avoid clipping.

If your other guitar presets levels are coming in real close to 0 db in a DAW, that can spell trouble. Some pros like Dweezil Zappa even dial their presets to come in even lower like at -20 db -- I kid you not/seen it.

Also as detailed in ReadMe notes and on my blog, there are tips if the presets on your system are coming in too quiet or too loud. But the last thing you want to do is fool with the preset volume level -- the presets are all leveled together.

You will find the amp Level value inside the amp block will range from -24 up to +2 db, because they vary based on the Input Drive and Master volume levels being set, to get the amp to do what it does best. Amp Block Level is the very last control I touch to bring the dialed-in sound up to -12db on each preset. Some amps are far more pickup sensitive or touch sensitive than others too I found; something that is loud with humbuckers may be quiet with single coils. Others are loud with either pickup type, hardly a difference. Some also have better dynamics, others are flattter.

There are other steps you can take first. Here's the relevant excerpt of that blog post:

Leveling: Every preset was dialed in on Flat Frequency/Flat Response monitors — Atomic Neo-CLRs — at at least 92 db or higher (which is a general standard for film studios for theater goers) or louder, and helps prevent Fletcher Munson effect and making sure the presets work at gig volumes as well as recording into Digital Audio Workstations.

-If you are using an AX8, you should set your output 1 knob to the maximum clockwise – that is unity gain (to the SPDIF signal everything was dialed in on). You can adjust back if need be.

(Interestingly, in 2016 I discovered on the AX8, the front panel Output1 knob actually controls the SPDIF output level too. But on the Axe-Fx XL I use, the SPDIF digital signal appears totally independent -- meaning the Output1 knob has no effect on its level, just the rear XLR outputs. That may have changed since, I did let Fractal know).

-If you are using an XL, your Output 1 knob level should be at roughly noon for unity gain with the digital signal.

Instead of using the XLR outs into my monitors, I instead use the digital SP/DIF output of the signal from my XL (or AX8) into an Universal Apollo Quad console to check my levels (pure digital signal), avoiding a second D/A to A/D conversion or any added gain at Output1. I made sure my SPDIF output unity gain matched the Output 1 setting on my Axe-Fx XL as well.

As a gut check, after dialing everything in on studio monitors in mono, I also then listened to every preset through a third Atomic NEO-CLR with inputs and outputs set to Noon that was 10-12 feet away from me, set up just like I’d use at a local Austin club gig.

Preset levels using humbuckers for most presets have been set to come in between -12db and -6db on most DAW or PA consoles, allowing ample headroom — you should not get any digital clipping (unless you use super-hot active pickups!).

This level setting should also let you use any real-life drive blocks you want in front of the Axe-Fx or AX8 without introducing clipping, but that will be dependent on the output of your own gear.

If you want the presets to sound louder, max your DAW fader, use the gain input or plug-in on your DAW or board, or turn up your stereo monitors, or your power amp feeding your PA or speaker cab — please do those things before fooling with the amp preset level. On an Axe-FX you can turn up Output 1 knob past noon to add more volume to XLR outs.

If you want the presets to sound quieter, then simply turn down the Output1 and/or Output2 knob on your Ax8 or Axe-Fx (if using the XLR outs).

Note that in dialing in the cleans in bank 3, I used a ’68 Telecaster neck pickup. If you use single coils, levels may come in a little softer than humbuckers naturally, but generally the provided drive block in the clean presets is just a “clean boost” and will help bring the preset volume up more — and sound great!

Kevin -- hope this helps! If you want to increase the volume across the board for the presets (like adding 3db), for Mark II or XLs it is possible using Fractool using the Batch Processor, but NOT possible for AX8 units. I know, I've tried it -- you can't batch process the amp block level on an AX8, so you'd have to raise the level in another block instead.
Thanks for all the info. As you suspected, I was already familiar with a lot of the info, but definitely good to help those who may not.

I did find that adjusting Output1 knob up to about 50% brought the levels to where I usually hear things (normally I run that about 35%).

I'll probably end up trying the FracTool batch converter...

Any idea if it can remove the FXloop block, too? I send Output 2 to my FRFR so having that pre-Cab doesn't work for me :)

I should note that I'm primarily using my unit live, not typically with a DAW.

Any idea if it can remove the FXloop block, too? I send Output 2 to my FRFR so having that pre-Cab doesn't work for me :)

I have been in touch the folks at FracTool about this, unfortunately right now it can't do that (turn off the FX Loop block in batch processor) but it may be possible in the future.

So for now, for the presets you select to use live, you'll have to manually go into them and delete the block and save it - I'd imagine you are adding your own effects to them like reverb or delay or favored drive blocks, just make that part of your process?

I am wondering though about work-arounds....Yek might know... if there is a way to make that FX Loop block to assign it to be a "global block" (I don't use them) and then turn the global block off???

Crowd wisdom here?

Global Blocks do not provide a way to turn them off/on across all presets.

There's another way (which takes some work):
- Assign an external controller to the Bypass Mode parameter in the FXL block. The controller doesn't have to be assigned to a pedal or switch.
- Then use I/O > MIDI > Ext Ctrl Init Val to turn it on/off, which works across all presets.

BTW, a global FXL overrule mechanism has been on my personal wishlist for a long time:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/my-list-of-remaining-axe-fx-wishes.104303/

Last edited:
Global Blocks do not provide a way to turn them off/on across all presets.

There's another way (which takes some work):
- Assign an external controller to the Bypass Mode parameter in the FXL block. The controller doesn't have to be assigned to a pedal or switch.
- Then use I/O > MIDI > Ext Ctrl Init Val to turn it on/off, which works across all presets.

Brilliant Yek. Will try this!

By the way, turning FXL on/off won't solve the issue where the presence of FXL in a preset disables the Echo Out 2 = Out 1 setting.
That can only be solved (alas) by removing FXL entirely.

By the way, turning FXL on/off won't solve the issue where the presence of FXL in a preset disables the Echo Out 2 = Out 1 setting.
That can only be solved (alas) by removing FXL entirely.
Exactly :)

It's ok for now, I'm just auditioning tones for the pure experience and knowledge, so it's a minor effort to remove the block.

Unfortunately, I didn't think to save the presets as I was going thru them :(

Good news is that I didn't get to that many yet!

Tried out the Steel Sings. I keep getting a high pitch feedback. When switching scenes on AX8 or clicking on drives. Anyone else having this issue?

Sounds great for sure though. Think I'm gonna have to go ahead and get the pack finally.

Tried out the Steel Sings. I keep getting a high pitch feedback. When switching scenes on AX8 or clicking on drives. Anyone else having this issue?

Sounds great for sure though. Think I'm gonna have to go ahead and get the pack finally.

Could be the FXL block. How is your rig connected?

Goes from

Shure glxd wireless tuner, wah, vol pedal, wampler ego compressor, vertex steel string drive, wampler paisley drive into AX8

Should I turn off the effects loop? I don't use it. I usually just run it all in a chain.

Yeah. I just tried out the one he posted on the axechange. I haven't downloaded the pack yet but thinking I am going to. Just want to make sure if I get it I am not going to have to change a bunch of stuff. I use a EV 12 in Speaker. I almost think it could be treble related possibly on that preset is all and maybe if I back it down some it will help

Back
Top Bottom