THE NEW AUSTINBUDDY NAKED AMPS TONE PACK RULES!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx II Preset Exchange' started by bradlake, Jul 20, 2017.

1. austinbuddy

austinbuddy
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Thank you so much!

2. oldstar1975

oldstar1975
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Just loaded the 9.03 version of the pack, sounds great, but I see that Speaker Comp value always on 0, at least at presets I've tried. Why?

3. #223 bradlake, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    bradlake

bradlake
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Because, in @austinbuddy s opinion (expressed earlier in this thread)his presets sound better that way....I have retweaked several of them To include some speaker comp..of course you can do the same.

4. austinbuddy

austinbuddy
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Hi Oldstar.

The TonePack presets were originally created a year ago, over December-May 2017. They were finalized on firmware version 8.02 (still a fantastic feeling and sounding firmware, maybe the best ever!).

This was BEFORE Cliff created the SPKR COMP parameter in firmware 9.0. That change was really is adding some further compression to the preset tone with his default setting of 3. The new 9.0 beta had some errors (don't use it!) and was quickly replaced.

The public firmware 9.02 was the first firmware with SPKR COMP that, if you turn SPKR COMP to zero instead of 3, the presets sound exactly like I dailed them in for 8.02 -- and those were sounds all the buyers liked/rave about above. That was Cliff's intent, to add the SPKR COMP but that mp models should still sound the same between 8.02 and 9.02 with SPKR COMP set to zero/off.

So the TonePack's updated 9.02 version now available sets SPKR COMP to default to zero (and not 3), and thus nails those original TonePack sounds.

However, the released 9.03 alters the tone in those Tonepack presets... because (I believe )Cliff slightly changed the power amp algorithm; some may like this result for their prior presets, some won't. To each their own.

TonePack presets using 9.03 probably would sound more like the original designed presets if some level of SPKR COMP is added by the user, because to my ears that helps smooth out the 9.03 sound changes caused by the power amp algorithm change, which changes the preset EQ slightly and makes it feel a little stiffer (which the new SPKR COMP there tames some). I don't know this for a fact and totally am speculating, but it may be that's one factor why Cliff went back and slightly tweaked the power amp section in 9.03 -- so it played better with the new SPKR COMP he likes set to a default of 3. Or not, who knows? ;)

SPKR COMP values set for 9.03 -- you might vary between them as little as 0.25 to as high as 6, depending on the amp model and how you play, to get the tone "right" like the original presets under 8.02 and 9.02. Have done A/B tests on firmwares, and noted elsewhere in thread the feel and tone difference using the same presets between 9.02 versus 9.03.

This is all a long way of saying that it will certainly work to use 9.03 and the Naked Amps TonePack, but the preset sounds will be a little different than how I originally intended and dialed them in - and that's all because of the SPKR COMP being set to zero in 9.03,where as it sounds exactly right in 9.02 that way. They won't sound bad, but they may or may not nail the original amp model as well.

Last -- in 9.03, If you decide to add any SPKR COMP to TonePack presets that now have a zero SPKR COMP value, then understand you will need also to increase there LEVEL higher (louder) to compensate accordingly. Raising the SPKR COMP will reduce the output signal leaving your Fractal unit by some degree, so if you do add any speaker compression to a preset, you'll need to then raise "Make-up Gain" by 1db, 2db or even 3db at at the LEVEL output to compensate. It's really amp dependent/avries -- just aim to keep the level coming into a mixer or DAW at -12db. See my video on YouTube on "How to Gain Stage and Level presets."

Who knows if we'll have a 9.04 or even a firmware 10 sometimes soon - Cliff is pretty prolific? We'll see!

bradlake likes this.
  5. oldstar1975

oldstar1975
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Thank you very much for so full answer!