The new accordian...

Speak for yourself. It got me the best wife, friends, and job EVER -- and all but the wife happened during this century.
It also gives me a lot of cred with the friends and parents of my kids, who are both show biz professionals.
I can appreciate that, but that's not the kind of "social capital" the OP was talking about. Do you have hordes of fans (and especially female fans) following you around for your mad guitar skills? I didn't think so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey I was at that JSX demo too! Fun little show to see, but yeah it was absolutely packed in there.
I was the guy who was filming with a camcorder from the back, and whom Joe asked at one point "are you filming or asking a question?" :) I have a great photo of him and of a dude for whom he signed a blue Ibanez with EMGs (shot on film and scanned on a high end film scanner). On an off chance that you are this dude, I could share the photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can appreciate that, but that's not the kind of "social capital" the OP was talking about. Do you have hordes of fans (and especially female fans) following you around for your mad guitar skills? I didn't think so.

Social capital I was talking about was that due to an ace accordian player in the 80s. It's more a negative balance than hordes of fans.

@Rick - nah, go to any instrumental guitar show. The audience is mostly dudes. So dude + guitar = all dudes. I suppose one could call this "social" though. :)

I don't think we have that many women on this forum either, if any at all.

I was the guy who was filming with a camcorder from the back, and whom Joe asked at one point "are you filming or asking a question?" :) I have a great photo of him and of a dude for whom he signed a blue Ibanez with EMGs (shot on film and scanned on a high end film scanner). On an off chance that you are this dude, I could share the photo.

Nah, that wasn't me... that's cool that you have some video though.

Threads like these seem to be an annual thing, like student protests in South Korea used to be. Billions in guitars and related paraphernalia sold every year. Pop music is not the harbinger for everything else in music. Slash thread. Slash topic.
Pop music exists because girls like to dance. That’s all there is to it.
Coachella can turn to crap to because of the opportunity to rake in cash just like anything else.

Last edited:
Not to mention that the Radio is probably less popular than guitar with young people! Folks are streaming music on youtube, spotify, apple music ECT! Radio is background filler for people with 15 year old cars, when people want to listen to music they go online and stream it.
This!
Radio is pretty much dead.
The listener chooses what to stream.
My son is 18, and all he listens to is NEW guitar driven music.
He plays guitar as well.
He's in a video with a famous band that i had never heard of. Heavy guitar.
The band doesn't get traditional radio airplay, but just one single video has been viewed 1.5 million times since its release 6 months ago.
So that sounds like the "New Radio" to me!

@Rick - nah, go to any instrumental guitar show. The audience is mostly dudes. So dude + guitar = all dudes. I suppose one could call this "social" though. :)

I don't think we have that many women on this forum either, if any at all.
Funny part is no one is disputing the bass or keys...

This is just saying the guitarist will get the two girls who were in the audience. :D

Nope. The girls are under duress, they came because dudes forced them to. How else can you get a female to attend a guitar show? Although I did see some girls in e.g. Plini's audience. Helps that he's a handsome SOB unlike most guitar players.

Back
Top Bottom